Gen Con 50 Film Contest
Submissions are now open for the Gen Con Film Contest.
Filmmakers from around the world gathered to compete in last year's festival. Some travel from as far away as Brazil and Denmark to the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis for screenings, film panels, and the awards ceremony. Films from across the United States, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, and Great Britain made it a truly international event.
The Gen Con Film Festival focuses on genres that appeal to our gaming attendees. These include Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Animation, Anime, Martial Arts, Gaming, related parodies, and documentaries.
Cash prizes will be awarded in the categories:
- Best Feature Film: $1,000
- Best Web Series: $250
- Best Short Film: $250
- Ovid Award: $1,000
The Ovid Award, new this year, is named after the Roman poet known for his immense influence on imaginative interpretations of classic myths. This award will be granted for the "most interesting and creative story" among the Best Short Film entries, regardless of genre. The Ovid Award has been made possible through a contribution from a generous anonymous Film Festival benefactor.
Additionally certificates will be awarded to the following selections:
- Best Animated Film
- Best Gamer Film (films that focus directly on gamers or games)
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Fantasy Film
- Best Sci-fi Film
- Best Horror Film
- Best Fan Film
Filmmakers are encouraged to attend and participate in the many film related panels and discussions during the festival. If you would like to make your own panel submission, please contact email@example.com for further information.
Congratulations to our 2016 winners!
- Best Feature Film: Legend Of The Lich Lord
- Best Short Film: Love, Work & Other Demons
- Best Series: Ren: The Girl with the Mark
- Best Animated Film: Built to Serve
- Best Gamer Film: Total Awesome Viking Power
- Best Documentary Film: Rise of the eSports Hero
- Best Fantasy Film: Dungeon Bros
- Best Sci-fi Film: This Giant Papier Mache Boulder is Actually Really Heavy
- Best Horror Film: The Snarling
- Best Comedy Film: Non-Stop to Comic-Con
- Best Fan Film: Frankenstein's Light
Categories and Entry Fees
- Feature Films - A single video with a running time over 60 minutes. $1000 will be presented to the Best Feature Film!
- Short Films - A single video with a running time under 60 minutes. A $250 cash prize will be presented to the Best Short Film.
- Series - Multiple videos in a series with individual running times of up to 30 minutes each. Multiple episodes can be included as a single entry, up to a maximum running time of 60 minutes. A $250 prize will be presented to the Best Series.
|Deadlines||Feature Films||Short Films and Series|
|Earlybird Deadline - February 15, 2017||$45||$35|
|Regular Deadline - March 15, 2017||$50||$40|
|Late Deadline - April 1, 2017||$65||$50|
|Extended Deadline - April 15, 2017||$80||$75|
All fees are in US dollars.
Please use one of the links below to make your submission:
We are also accepting submissions through Film Freeway.
Please note that we are NOT accepting submissions in any other manner other than Withoutabox or Film Freeway.
All submissions must be:
- Gaming, sci-fi, fantasy, or horror related.
- Films with excessive nudity, swearing, or violence, or deemed obscene or defamatory, will be disqualified.
- An original work. The filmmaker is responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for use of trademarks, copyrights, or any other properties (including, but not limited to logos, images, characters, or music) in his or her film.
- The film being submitted is in its completed and final form and will not be changed between now and the time it is shown at the Gen Con Film Festival.
- Gen Con LLC reserves the right to reject any film at any time for any reason.
Judging & Awards
- Cash Awards will be presented for the first place entries in each category.
- Category awards are voted upon by a jury of Gen Con judges. All awards will be presented on Sunday, August 20, 2017 at Gen Con. Specific time & location are TBD.
- Gen Con employees and their immediate families are excluded from competition.
- Films that have previously won any award in the Gen Con Film Festival are not eligible for competition.
- Entry provides Gen Con all permissions to screen submissions at any venue(s) during the Gen Con 50 show dates, selected by the convention organizers. Schedule TBD. Gen Con is further provided permission to make copies of submissions as necessary for screening purposes only.
- If your film is accepted, up to five (5) 4-day badges to Gen Con will be provided for production staff attending to introduce and discuss the film.
- Selected films will be notified no later than June 15, 2017.
Withoutabox logos are trademarks of Withoutabox, a DBA of IMDb.com Inc. or its affiliates.