Trade Day change - why?
Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I wouldn't have even noticed this, as it wasn't announced and was just a subtle change to the Trade Day website, but a friend who was considering Trade Day(and who chose not to try it because of this change) pointed it out to me...

Educators no longer get early exhibit hall access, but retailers still do?

Why was this change made? And why do educators/librarians still pay the same as retailers for the Trade Day badge when this major perk is removed? We don't get anything extra to replace it.

If this is the route you want to go, I hope that the seminars have jumped in quality. 2016 seminars were mostly repeats of 2015.

I'm pretty grumpy about this. I've been going to Trade Day since is was at the Westin(2010 maybe?), and I do actually participate in the seminars. I was planning on presenting this year in fact. This is disheartening.

On a related note, is there any plan to crack down on press badges shopping during the early hour? Last year every line I waited in during that time I had a press badge holder both ahead of me and behind me in line. I was okay with it but now I'm full of sour grapes.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I don't know the reason; but, based on the size of the line last year, I'm guessing they're looking to limit the number of people with early access. The early access perk was also removed for VIG companions this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

That would also be my guess, but it doesn't make sense to remove it for educators only. If they discontinued the early access for all Trade Day I would be upset but it would simply be a reduction of what you get with the badge - now they are giving different stuff depending on which track you choose, yet charging the same price for the different levels of service.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Yeah. I was happy that badge prices didn't increase this year, but they have reduced some benefits for both VIGs and trade day.

Normal
Small
Posted by saburch

To serve it's actually function (press coverage) the press badges do really need time in the hall without the general public.  Now, as you acknowledge, they aren't supposed to be able to get anything or do any shopping during that time, but they still do. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

But see they didn't reduce the benefits for all Trade Day participants, and that's my major issue here. Just for some participants. I know for a fact that it's already cost them one librarian participant, as he can't get his employer to cover the extra cost and it's not worth it to him to pay out of pocket without the early access. My brother will likely skip Trade Day this year because of it as well, and might skip Gen Con entirely as a result.

I also take issue with the fact that this change was basically unannounced, just hidden away on the Trade Day page - if you read carefully. There are going to be a lot of upset people come August 16 when they pick up their Trade Day materials and just find out right then that they don't have early access. That's actually why I'm posting this on the forums instead of just emailing about it - I was blindsided by this, but I least I have months to change my plans around it. I would be very upset to the level of ranting if I found this out at the last minute.

Normal
Small
Posted by saburch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trade day access was limited to the one extra hour that VIG's got on Thursday morning, correct?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke saburch

saburch wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trade day access was limited to the one extra hour that VIG's got on Thursday morning, correct?

Correct.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Yes. And I agree the early access line has been pretty big the last two years, much bigger than the amount you see at the Trade Day seminars. I'd have been in favor of a system that required participation in the seminars for early access. I've also suggested letting the VIG attendees cut to the front of that line, putting Trade Day and press behind them. But it's not like the VIG badge holders are quitting the program in droves over it.

So VIG companions don't get early access anymore either? What do they even get then? Access to the lounge?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke ryric

ryric wrote:So VIG companions don't get early access anymore either? What do they even get then? Access to the lounge?

Yep, you got it.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 ryric

ryric wrote:
That would also be my guess, but it doesn't make sense to remove it for educators only. If they discontinued the early access for all Trade Day I would be upset but it would simply be a reduction of what you get with the badge - now they are giving different stuff depending on which track you choose, yet charging the same price for the different levels of service.

I can see your frustration, but why on earth should educators get early access to the exhibit hall?  

I understand they've gotten it in the past, but with small print run con exclusives selling out during the early access period, it's incumbent on Gen Con management to protect the con experience for all attendees.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

You do realize that it's more likely that retailers will be the ones buying out limited run items so they can resell them at markup, rather than educators?

Originally early access was VIG only. I'd be sad if they went back to that, but at least that wouldn't be blatantly unfair. Instead we have a situation where group A buys the same badge at the same cost as group B but group A gets a major bonus in the form of early access.

So I'm saying if you remove the perk for educators, remove it for retailers as well or reduce the educator's badge price. Also crack down on Press badges shopping during early access, which should be a "lose your badge" offence as it was in the past.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 ryric

ryric wrote:
You do realize that it's more likely that retailers will be the ones buying out limited run items so they can resell them at markup, rather than educators?
Originally early access was VIG only. I'd be sad if they went back to that, but at least that wouldn't be blatantly unfair. Instead we have a situation where group A buys the same badge at the same cost as group B but group A gets a major bonus in the form of early access.
So I'm saying if you remove the perk for educators, remove it for retailers as well or reduce the educator's badge price. Also crack down on Press badges shopping during early access, which should be a "lose your badge" offence as it was in the past.

I thought retailers weren't supposed to make purchases during that time? Maybe I'm misinformed?

I would agree if the retailers can buy then it is incoherent to have the same badge cost with different access.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:I thought retailers weren't supposed to make purchases during that time? Maybe I'm misinformed?

I think you're confusing it with press early access. They're the ones who are not supposed to purchase.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I've considered before why they gave educators early access in the first place - either it was a bribe to drive up interest in Trade Day, or the intention was similar to the reason press get early access. I have used the time before to talk to exhibitors about the educational potential of their games ere the huge crowds come in. Heck I'd be fine with getting press-style early access with a ban on purchasing things, although I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with many.

Normal
Small
Posted by opus69

I'm very upset about this too. To offer us less for the same admission fee is ridiculous. To give us less while giving retailers more for the same money for the same event is insulting. If I were to say to my elementary students, "okay, everyone, we're going to do a fun activity now. Everyone on this side of the room gets a new set of pencil crayons to do the activity and everyone on this side just gets to do the fun activity," I'd have a minor riot on my hands, no to mention losing the respect of my students. Even at their young age they know when something isn't fair. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.