Since its the 50th GenCon will they have anything special going on?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by xanathon

With WOTC and other gaming companies either not showing up to GenCon or decreasing their presence what do you think GenCon will do since this is the big 50?

I have been wondering if there will be anything done to commemorate GenCon 50 or if this will be just another GenCon,

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Well now,

I think you should probably make sure you're subscribed to the newsletter so you don't miss any potential announcements. :)

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

No, there will be no special things... (ask a silly question...)

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
No, there will be no special things... (ask a silly question...)
I heard a rumor that some people may have some tables set up where you can play games... but I'm not totally convinced that it's true yet... 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
No, there will be no special things... (ask a silly question...)
I heard a rumor that some people may have some tables set up where you can play games... but I'm not totally convinced that it's true yet... 
I'm not even sure why we are going. Absolutely nothing is going on. It's just going to be a bunch of people standing & sitting around a really large couple of rooms.

Normal
Small
Posted by al_kesselring

OH MY!!!!!!  That sort of behavior might lead to people talking and having a good time..........

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez al_kesselring

al_kesselring wrote:
OH MY!!!!!!  That sort of behavior might lead to people talking and having a good time..........
You mean... actual interactions with REAL people and not over the book of face or other (anti)"social" interwebz???? OH THE HUMANITY!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Everyone who attends will get a special commemorative badge with 'GenCon 50' on it. ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant

Regardless of the cheeky monkey behavior there's likely to be something.  'Just another Gen Con' makes me wonder what you do at Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by xanathon

I guess I should have realized that the forum trolls would see this and add their usual pointless answers.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Made me laugh.

The way you phrased your question, yes, you should have expected such responses.

Normal
Small
Posted by xanathon

Ok then let me rephrase.

With GenCon not being the convention it once was because it is switching its focus to pop culture and losing its emphasis on being the premiere gaming convention, what special events, promotional items, etc does everyone think will be present this year.  Or maybe the better question is what would everyone like to see them do.

I would have liked to see a Wizards of the Coast presence myself although I do not fault GenCon for that.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

That's even worse. I disagree with your premise.

Normal
Small
Posted by xanathon austicke

austicke wrote:
That's even worse. I disagree with your premise.
I don't recall asking you to agree with me and more importantly why should I care that you disagree wth me?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Haha, you're cute.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 xanathon

xanathon wrote:I guess I should have realized that the forum trolls would see this and add their usual pointless answers.
...
Ok then let me rephrase.
With GenCon not being the convention it once was because it is switching its focus to pop culture and losing its emphasis on being the premiere gaming convention, what special events, promotional items, etc does everyone think will be present this year.  Or maybe the better question is what would everyone like to see them do.
I would have liked to see a Wizards of the Coast presence myself although I do not fault GenCon for that.

That's it - show those "forum trolls" how it's done!  You sir are the master!

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Settle down there, folks. Don't make me get all sheriff-y.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager roderick

roderick wrote:
Settle down there, folks. Don't make me get all sheriff-y.
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.
Oh OK I have a completely unrelated question. Your name is Roderick. My wife & myself are having a boy in June & have been trying to come up with names. I like that name Roderick, but my wife thinks people will just call him "Rod" or "Rick".

My question is, do you get called either other those? Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by lmengsol xanathon

xanathon wrote:
Ok then let me rephrase.
With GenCon not being the convention it once was because it is switching its focus to pop culture and losing its emphasis on being the premiere gaming convention, what special events, promotional items, etc does everyone think will be present this year.  Or maybe the better question is what would everyone like to see them do.
I would have liked to see a Wizards of the Coast presence myself although I do not fault GenCon for that.
I do agree with the premise to your question. I've been going to GC for more than 30 years and since it's moved to Indy (and changed ownership) the shift has been away from gaming and more towards other things. But your question, I believe, answers itself. Whatever they are going to do will certainly play to the pop culture side of the con.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager lmengsol

lmengsol wrote:
xanathon wrote:
Ok then let me rephrase.
With GenCon not being the convention it once was because it is switching its focus to pop culture and losing its emphasis on being the premiere gaming convention, what special events, promotional items, etc does everyone think will be present this year.  Or maybe the better question is what would everyone like to see them do.
I would have liked to see a Wizards of the Coast presence myself although I do not fault GenCon for that.
I do agree with the premise to your question. I've been going to GC for more than 30 years and since it's moved to Indy (and changed ownership) the shift has been away from gaming and more towards other things. But your question, I believe, answers itself. Whatever they are going to do will certainly play to the pop culture side of the con.
OK so last year was my first year at Gen Con. So I don't have 30 years of experience, but I don't see how you can say Gen Con's focus isn't board games. Yeah there is Cosplay, True Dungeon, Figure painting, video games, etc., but the sheer amount of board games was overwhelming. As a first timer, I still very much felt the focus of the con was board games. Maybe it used to be less of the "other" stuff, I'm not sure. Maybe I miss understand your point as well. But Gen Con for me was all about the board games & there was more than enough between the two main halls.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3