Since its the 50th GenCon will they have anything special going on?
2 4
2 4
Posted by elvinlord

Pop culture really?  While there are certainly events focused on movies or tv and some cosplayer Pop culture  gencon is overwhelming gaming related.  I remember one year where they tried to merge into video games but that largely seems to have went away.

I do hope the commemorative dice are some super cool gold design and gold dragons abound 

Posted by remnant

 xanathon wrote:
Ok then let me rephrase.
With GenCon not being the convention it once was because it is switching its focus to pop culture and losing its emphasis on being the premiere gaming convention, what special events, promotional items, etc does everyone think will be present this year.  Or maybe the better question is what would everyone like to see them do.
I would have liked to see a Wizards of the Coast presence myself although I do not fault GenCon for that.
While your comment about Gen Con in your opinion I guess just being 'meh' what's your take on the premiere gaming convention?  As for Special Events, promotional items, and speculation I don't think there's a concrete answer, monitoring the news letter and any company you're interested in plus the event listing when it comes out should give you a better idea on the special events for Gen Con 50.  Not commenting on promotional items since I have no idea what companies are bringing or are thinking of doing, again check with the companies with items you're interested in.  Granted if I did know I'd probably refrain because if this was reddit that would be phrased 'What do I need to buy multiple copies of at Gen Con so I can sell it same day for 100%+ markup?'  Speculation though is open, I'm looking forward to checking out the oversized board games, trying some indie game playtesting, new rpg systems, and various social events.  Too early to know I think what people are bringing to Gen Con to sell.  I'd like to see Gen Con handle the convention.  If Game X isn't scheduled and everyone wants to play but no one actually wants to run it this doesn't bother me much. 

WotC will be at conventions Habro will let them use company money for.  Only way I'd see people from WotC showing up is either they pay out of pocket or someone pitches them to come out if it's all inclusive paid for by someone else.  Then they just need to use their vacation time.

Posted by dragongears

That's funny. I was wondering if for the 50th anniversary they were going to bring back some of the classic things from Gen Cons past, like media guests and the Segway challenge. Things that were definitely more "pop culture" than "gaming related".

Posted by helenbb

It's pretty clear that a lot of you have never been to a pop culture convention. I go to many of them every year, including SDCC. GenCon is definitely a *gaming* convention. But to be clear, there are many different types of games. Board games, card games, roleplaying, CCGs, LARPS, True Dungeon... these are all games. And that's not mentioning the (medium small-ish) presence of video games. 

Even the stuff that is not directly gaming is usually gaming-related, such as painting minifigures or creating cosplay elements, or the comedy shows centered around gaming (such as Gamers: Live or Killer Breakfast). The only major thing I can think of that's not actually gaming-related is the Writers' Symposium (which is excellent... just not really directly gaming-related). Even the majority of SPA events seem to have application to types of gaming (particularly LARPing). 

Back to topic, it would be great if GenCon did something special for number 50 this year, but I'll just be happy if they put on their usual great convention!

Posted by braewe

Be cool to have a special commemorative collection of pictures from past gen cons. 

Posted by xanathon

I've attended GenCon from the last year in Milwaukee to present.  In prior years each gaming company would lay everything out and make the convention the gaming event to go to.

While I don't blame GenCon as the cause that Wizards pulled out of the convention I do blame GenCon for so many other companies decreasing their overall presence at the convention.

Compared to prior years there just simply aren't the quality events as there were.

The Dungeons and Dragons events are lacking for lack of a better word.  Privateer Press doesn't run the same type of events as they have decreased their presence.  

The Magic events aren't much different than what I can find in my local area on most weekends.

Now whether this is due to a change in philosophy of the convention from putting on the best event in gaming to we are in it for pure profit I can't say for certain, but the convention has changed over the years and not for the better.

I could care less about cosplay and the video game element, but people seem to enjoy them and I leave that to each their own.

I just want to see this convention get back to what it used to be compared to where it is going.  If GenCon is the premiere gaming convention then why are so many gaming companies doing their own thing instead of going all out at GenCon as they used to?

I realize that nobody except the gaming companies can answer this question.  

Posted by roderick andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
roderick wrote:
Settle down there, folks. Don't make me get all sheriff-y.
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.
Oh OK I have a completely unrelated question. Your name is Roderick. My wife & myself are having a boy in June & have been trying to come up with names. I like that name Roderick, but my wife thinks people will just call him "Rod" or "Rick".My question is, do you get called either other those? Thanks!

I use the Scottish version - Rory. (it comes about because of the way Gaelic handles certain letter combinations). People that don't know me (or are oblivious) call me "Rod" until I explain that's not my name. I don't think I've ever been called "Rick".

The name means "Famous Leader", btw. I was named for the character Roderick Dhu, from Scott's "The Lady of the Lake". I just wish my parent's hadn't chickened out and left off the "Dhu" (It means "black" in Gaelic)...

Posted by andrewj.rager roderick

roderick wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
roderick wrote:
Settle down there, folks. Don't make me get all sheriff-y.
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.
Oh OK I have a completely unrelated question. Your name is Roderick. My wife & myself are having a boy in June & have been trying to come up with names. I like that name Roderick, but my wife thinks people will just call him "Rod" or "Rick".My question is, do you get called either other those? Thanks!

I use the Scottish version - Rory. (it comes about because of the way Gaelic handles certain letter combinations). People that don't know me (or are oblivious) call me "Rod" until I explain that's not my name. I don't think I've ever been called "Rick".The name means "Famous Leader", btw. I was named for the character Roderick Dhu, from Scott's "The Lady of the Lake". I just wish my parent's hadn't chickened out and left off the "Dhu" (It means "black" in Gaelic)...
Thank you for that information. I will pass it along to my wife. I was aware it meant Famous Leader.

Posted by mvotruba

In response to the OP:

Not sure, but I would guess so.  10 years back...I think that was my first Gen Con...can't remember...  The Gen Con shirts read "Best 4 Decades in Gaming" rather than "Best 4 Days in Gaming"  subtle, but I liked it.

I've already seen the e-mail blasts promoting Gen Con 50 shirts, sporting the gold dragon.  I can't imagine that is the only thing that will be there with "Gen Con 50."

I can't speak for specific companies, but I would think some/many will take advantage of the marketing opportunity.  My guess is that the Crystal Castle dice set will be in especially high demand this year as far as collectors go.

I would imagine the larger gaming groups will also celebrate Gen Con 50.  I guess some will ramp up their game (no pun intended) and put on some special events.  I'm sure we'll see more as it draws closer.

If there's something specific you're looking for, I would take the advice from an earlier post and say you should contact the gaming entity directly.  Perhaps they can add you to an e-mail list and keep you in the loop.

Posted by nesbit37

This isn't happening specifically at Gen Con but we are working on this project:

http://sites.temple.edu/tudsc/2017/02/03/gen-con-50th-anniversary-programs-project/

Posted by austicke nesbit37

nesbit37 wrote:This isn't happening specifically at Gen Con but we are working on this project:
http://sites.temple.edu/tudsc/2017/02/03/gen-con-50th-anniversary-programs-project/

I hope you'll have a panel about it at Gen Con.

Posted by nesbit37

That's the plan, still early on all of that though.

Posted by roanders braewe

braewe wrote:
Be cool to have a special commemorative collection of pictures from past gen cons. 

Or maybe something like a Gen Con museum?

Posted by helenbb roanders

roanders wrote:
braewe wrote:

Or maybe something like a Gen Con museum?

I attended WonderCon last year and they had a terrific booth where they had a wall display of 'the history of WonderCon', with pictures from the 70s all the way through 2016. Something like that would be really cool to see at GenCon! Maybe even just a display on the walls in the hallways.

Posted by austicke

I'd love to see a "museum" display.

Posted by bluemax

The Fight in the Skies Society is planning a special event for GC 50

Posted by dragongears

I remember Gen Con LLC made a big deal out of Gen Con's 45th anniversary before the event but during the con there were crickets, so I don't have high expectations regarding any official special events for Gen Con 50. That being said, since Gen Con LLC seems to be in better financial shape then they were back then it would be nice if there was *something* special to mark the occasion.

Posted by rhone1

Years ago at Gen Con So Cal in 2004 they had a bunch of billboards and signs up showing the history of D&D and D&D at Gen Con.  It was really cool to walk around and read all the stories and see some very cool pictures.  I'd hope they would have something like that this year at Gen Con as well.

Posted by jenjoy

Anyone know if they will have board game designer/publisher "speed dating" this year?

Posted by ethrdemon

When people say GenCon is getting too pop culture focused, are they talking about this "Dungeons & Dragons" fad that's been taking away space from the serious historical wargaming?
:)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4
2 4