Noob to GenCon has some ???
Posted by fugazi70

I've attended Phoenix Comicon and had a good time.
i enjoyed walking up to a table to play new games and meeting new people. The games were free and it was a good experience.

what can I expect at GenCon?

1. Are games free to play
2. Do they require a sign up?
3. Are people friendly explaining a new game?(I have a nice collection but referring to games I don't own or play)
4. The events do they require a signup beforehand?
that lifesize Dunegon seems cool

Thanks for any advice :)

Posted by andrewj.rager

1. Some are free, you can demo games for free or visit Rio Grande Room. Most require event tickets
2. All events that require event tickets require you to sign up for. Event registration is May 28th.
3. Yes, overall.
4. Yup covered this.

Posted by fugazi70

Are the sign-ups online or at the actual event? 
If online how far out can I sign up?

Thanks again for the info

Posted by garhkal fugazi70

fugazi70 wrote:
I've attended Phoenix Comicon and had a good time.
i enjoyed walking up to a table to play new games and meeting new people. The games were free and it was a good experience.
what can I expect at GenCon?
1. Are games free to play
2. Do they require a sign up?
3. Are people friendly explaining a new game?(I have a nice collection but referring to games I don't own or play)
4. The events do they require a signup beforehand?
that lifesize Dunegon seems cool
Thanks for any advice :)

1) are they free - Yes AND no.  A very big chunk of the games need tickets, and depending some could cost 2 bucks for a 2 hr slot, some could cost more.  Other events are free, and there's always a lot of open gaming.
2) signing up - again yes and no.  Some games DO need sign up (buying the specific event ticket) while others are just 'whom ever shows up.
3 - Friendly when explaining - most of what i have seen, yes..

Posted by andrewj.rager fugazi70

fugazi70 wrote:
Are the sign-ups online or at the actual event? 
Thanks again for the info
Sign ups are online. The events list will post a week or two before May 28th. Then on May 28th. all 60,000+ people will lose their minds as they try to get the events they want. If by some chance an event you want is still open once the CON is going on, I believe you can still buy tickets on site at the guest services desks.

Posted by austicke fugazi70

fugazi70 wrote:Are the sign-ups online or at the actual event? 

Both. Online event registration opens in May. Some popular events will sell out immediately. Others will have tickets available until they start.

Posted by rhone1

You can also buy "generic" tickets and show up to any event that you's like.  Many times there are "no-shows" for sold out events and you would be able to get a seat and play the games/events you are interested in.

Posted by fugazi70 austicke

austicke wrote:
fugazi70 wrote:Are the sign-ups online or at the actual event? 

Both. Online event registration opens in May. Some popular events will sell out immediately. Others will have tickets available until they start.

which events sell out immediately ?

when will the event list be available to view?

Posted by austicke fugazi70

fugazi70 wrote:which events sell out immediately ?when will the event list be available to view?

I'm not going to be able to list which of the 15,000+ events sell out immediately.

The event list will be released about a week before event registration opens on May 28.

Posted by roanders

You can use http://gencon.eventdb.us/ and http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/ to look at events for previous years, and what sold out.

Posted by fugazi70 roanders

roanders wrote:
You can use http://gencon.eventdb.us/ and http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/ to look at events for previous years, and what sold out.

Posted by selene314 fugazi70

fugazi70 wrote:3. Are people friendly explaining a new game?
The event catalog also specifies whether each event would prefer experienced players (which lets the game start faster).
Board games are very often run by the publisher who wants to sell you the game, so they are VERY friendly about teaching it. Some events are demos of brand-new games.

Although the tickets to popular events sell out immediately, several get returned when players encounter schedule conflicts. And additional games get added to the catalog after its initial release.

True Dungeon is very cool, but also very expensive.

Posted by nascragman

And True Dungeon IS one event you can expect to sell out.

We try to make sure the Nascrag Tournament has enough seats that we can't sell out.  We love spontaneous people showing up with Generic tickets.

Posted by fugazi70

Thanks for all the replies

my wife and I are plannning to come up from Florida for this.

we love board games and I host games at my house and looking forward to seeing the new games :)

Posted by stiehle

I read that you can make 'Wish Lists' and even backup wish lists for events before they open up.  Is that correct?  Not sure how that process works, but a more detailed explanation would be handy for those of us without the experience in signing up for events.

Posted by austicke

Stiehle, I think this video from two years ago will answer most of your questions.

It's a little out-of-date but still a very good overview.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.