General advice for a GenCon first timer
Normal
Small
Posted by ajdynon

First time at GenCon - I've been to gaming cons in Australia before (which were much smaller), and a couple of big US cons (San Diego Comic Con, Anime Expo, Otakon).  I've seen a good amount of general con advice, but is there any GenCon-specific stuff I should know?

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away

assuming that you've got your hotel sorted out, ...

If you're planning on playing games at Gen Con, it'd be a good idea to look into how event tickets work, and how to maximise your chances of getting the events/games you want. 
(on mobile, so typing is an issue, but wishlists are your friend, backup events are also your friend, and if you're still in Australia you'll probably be awake at some stupid time of the morning to submit that list the second you're able)

You've got a few months before it's an issue, so not an immediate thing. 

Hope you enjoy Gen Con!

Normal
Small
Posted by soulcatcher78

Most things will be the same.  If you want to eat without a huge wait you must eat at non peak times (avoid the 6pm dinner rush after the dealer hall closes for instance).  Ticketed events are your friend, no ridiculous queue only to find out you don't get into a panel.  Some queues for specific items in the dealer hall can be an issue but depending on what you're shopping for this might not apply (avoid Fantasy Flight booth unless you'll not be allowed home without the item). 

Stop by the Stink on Wednesday night as a free event "mixer" to get to know some people before things kick off.  The Gen Con UN hosts a table where other Australians convince unwitting Americans to try vegemite...this alone is worth the trip to see the faces people make :)

Welcome to the tribe ajdynon!

Normal
Small
Posted by klaminder soulcatcher78

soulcatcher78 wrote:
Most things will be the same.  If you want to eat without a huge wait you must eat at non peak times (avoid the 6pm dinner rush after the dealer hall closes for instance).  Ticketed events are your friend, no ridiculous queue only to find out you don't get into a panel.  Some queues for specific items in the dealer hall can be an issue but depending on what you're shopping for this might not apply (avoid Fantasy Flight booth unless you'll not be allowed home without the item). 
Stop by the Stink on Wednesday night as a free event "mixer" to get to know some people before things kick off.  The Gen Con UN hosts a table where other Australians convince unwitting Americans to try vegemite...this alone is worth the trip to see the faces people make :)
Welcome to the tribe ajdynon!

"The Stink" what/where is that?

Normal
Small
Posted by soulcatcher78

The Stink is a mixer held on Wednesday night (6PM if I remember correctly) by different forum groups.  It is held at the Crowne Plaza and draws a good sized crowd each year.

The hotel where it is held is 1 block from the convention center so after picking up your badge and tickets (will call line begins at 12PM Wednesday and has normally run 24 hours a day after that) you can easily walk there.  If you do not get a ticket during the event registration (they do run out) you can still get in but will not be eligible for the free things that are normally available (free D6, etc.).

 

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant

The Stink is a gathering of Gamers.  Here's the event listing from last year: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/event/ZED1685620

Normal
Small
Posted by apparentlymarylee

Lovely name!

Normal
Small
Posted by octaviancmb

The middle of Indiana in August will be hot and humid, sometimes resembling the surface of Venus. However, some rooms inside the ICC will have their life support systems set for the surface of Mars and be unpleasantly cold. I'd advise you to dress appropriately, but it's impossible!

Normal
Small
Posted by ajdynon octaviancmb

octaviancmb wrote:
The middle of Indiana in August will be hot and humid, sometimes resembling the surface of Venus. However, some rooms inside the ICC will have their life support systems set for the surface of Mars and be unpleasantly cold. I'd advise you to dress appropriately, but it's impossible!

So... kind of like an Australian summer, then?

Normal
Small
Posted by octaviancmb ajdynon

ajdynon wrote:
octaviancmb wrote:
The middle of Indiana in August will be hot and humid, sometimes resembling the surface of Venus. However, some rooms inside the ICC will have their life support systems set for the surface of Mars and be unpleasantly cold. I'd advise you to dress appropriately, but it's impossible!

So... kind of like an Australian summer, then?

Possibly. I've never visited that part of the world!

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick soulcatcher78

soulcatcher78 wrote:
The Stink is a mixer held on Wednesday night (6PM if I remember correctly) by different forum groups.  It is held at the Crowne Plaza and draws a good sized crowd each year.
The hotel where it is held is 1 block from the convention center so after picking up your badge and tickets (will call line begins at 12PM Wednesday and has normally run 24 hours a day after that) you can easily walk there.  If you do not get a ticket during the event registration (they do run out) you can still get in but will not be eligible for the free things that are normally available (free D6, etc.).
 

It's actually held at the Union Station, which is across Illinois Street from the Crowne Plaza. It's run by the Crowne, however, and yes, it's a Confusing Signage area! It is attached to the ICC by a walkway down near the Stadium entrance.
 

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away ajdynon

ajdynon wrote:
octaviancmb wrote:
The middle of Indiana in August will be hot and humid, sometimes resembling the surface of Venus. However, some rooms inside the ICC will have their life support systems set for the surface of Mars and be unpleasantly cold. I'd advise you to dress appropriately, but it's impossible!

So... kind of like an Australian summer, then?

Like a humid Perth summer, if you've ever had that particular joy.

Normal
Small
Posted by ajdynon it can be fun to run away

it can be fun to run away wrote:
ajdynon wrote:
So... kind of like an Australian summer, then?

Like a humid Perth summer, if you've ever had that particular joy.

I have cousins in Perth, and have been over there in summertime.  IME Perth tends to be more of a dry heat, though.

Normal
Small
Posted by soulcatcher78 roderick

roderick wrote:
soulcatcher78 wrote:
The Stink is a mixer held on Wednesday night (6PM if I remember correctly) by different forum groups.  It is held at the Crowne Plaza and draws a good sized crowd each year.
The hotel where it is held is 1 block from the convention center so after picking up your badge and tickets (will call line begins at 12PM Wednesday and has normally run 24 hours a day after that) you can easily walk there.  If you do not get a ticket during the event registration (they do run out) you can still get in but will not be eligible for the free things that are normally available (free D6, etc.).

It's actually held at the Union Station, which is across Illinois Street from the Crowne Plaza. It's run by the Crowne, however, and yes, it's a Confusing Signage area! It is attached to the ICC by a walkway down near the Stadium entrance.
 
Thank you Roderick...still can't keep that straight after all this time.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.