Facebook Housing Polls Results
1
1
Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

The 3rd annual Gen Con Indy Facebook group housing poll results. I'm surprised to see that satisfaction has gone up significantly compared to the past two years.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Being it only polled those on face book, it would be interesting to see how many of us who are complaining are not ON face book to have taken that poll and whether those #s would be different.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Garhkal, if you're suggesting that members of the Gen Con Indy Facebook community may be happier than other attendees, I won't argue with you. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

I don't do facebook either, way too much drama and stalking for me. My result doesn't match any though...got a room, not UNhappy with it, but not HAPPY either, and didn't get it through my own random assigned time! (I know I know, way too specific).

Kind of scary how many are booking out of block.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris

Neat info, but again you can't use this as an "official" poll or base any further decisions on it until you open it up to non-Facebook users.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke gharris

gharris wrote:Neat info, but again you can't use this as an "official" poll or base any further decisions on it until you open it up to non-Facebook users.

You'll be relieved to learn that no one considers an online poll as "official". Further, even if it were open to non-Facebook group members, it still wouldn't be official. It's an online poll for god's sake.

Even so, I think it's a good indication how a subset of attendees feel about the matter, and I wouldn't have any problem extrapolating this to the larger population in a very broad sense. I think this supports the notion that most people are happy with their ability to book a room for Gen Con and it's just a very vocal minority that is complaining. Now, I don't know if that minority is 1% or 28% or 49% of the total population, but I think that the feelings of 779 Gen Con attendees is a good indication that it's somewhere in that range.

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane braewe

braewe wrote:
I don't do facebook either, way too much drama and stalking for me. My result doesn't match any though...got a room, not UNhappy with it, but not HAPPY either, and didn't get it through my own random assigned time! (I know I know, way too specific).
Kind of scary how many are booking out of block.

Booking out of block is what our group has started doing. We have been discussing simply going out of block from the get go and get rooms reserved as soon as possible. I don't think (still have to confirm with a couple of friends) but I don't think any of us even got a time slot that would have even given a shot at a downtown room in the block out of 8 entries.

If we know we are going to go out of block with a year to get the needed OT to cover out of block expense then that seems like a preferable idea than fielding a futile effort in the lottery and going out of block anyway with only half a year to get OT to cover the added expense.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Lots of people book out of block between August and January each year and then see if they can get something better or cheaper in the housing lottery. It's just smart planning.

Further, there are probably a good number of out-of-block rooms being freed up now that some folks can release their contingency room.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris austicke

austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:Neat info, but again you can't use this as an "official" poll or base any further decisions on it until you open it up to non-Facebook users.

You'll be relieved to learn that no one considers an online poll as "official". Further, even if it were open to non-Facebook group members, it still wouldn't be official. It's an online poll for god's sake.Even so, I think it's a good indication how a subset of attendees feel about the matter, and I wouldn't have any problem extrapolating this to the larger population in a very broad sense. I think this supports the notion that most people are happy with their ability to book a room for Gen Con and it's just a very vocal minority that is complaining. Now, I don't know if that minority is 1% or 28% or 49% of the total population, but I think that the feelings of 779 Gen Con attendees is a good indication that it's somewhere in that range.

You can't extrapolate any opinions based on a restricted, admittedly biased 1% sample size. However, as the "Gen Con Indy Facebook Group Housing Poll Results" people will mistakenly jump to conclusions anyways. Unfortunately, the last year has proven that Facebook users love fake news.

Not to say that you are presenting this as fake news, just pointing out that people will believe it like fake news.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke gharris

gharris wrote:You can't extrapolate any opinions based on a restricted, admittedly biased 1% sample size.

Of you can. The quality of the results are only as good as the data and methodology, but you can use the available information to help form conclusions. To plug your ears and refuse any thought unless you have 100% response from all attendees is foolish.

People who consider this "fake news" are making their own assumptions. This is only an online poll, nothing more.

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane austicke

austicke wrote:
Lots of people book out of block between August and January each year and then see if they can get something better or cheaper in the housing lottery. It's just smart planning.
Further, there are probably a good number of out-of-block rooms being freed up now that some folks can release their contingency room.

The hotel we ended up using had the time listed as "special event", wanted the payment up front, and only offered 10% back on cancellation. This is assuming I am remembering the terms correctly so we were wondering if hotels were starting to tighten up on people reserving rooms, getting a room in the block, then cancelling the first room.

Normal
Small
Posted by mbroadwater

Actually, that number of respondents is a pretty good sample size for the population of GenCon. And it's no more or less biased than doing a poll on this forum.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

If anyone cares, the poll is now up to 803 responses, but the response percentages are unchanged. Anyone in the Gen Con Indy Facebook group is still welcome to respond.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris austicke

austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:You can't extrapolate any opinions based on a restricted, admittedly biased 1% sample size.

Of you can. The quality of the results are only as good as the data and methodology, but you can use the available information to help form conclusions. To plug your ears and refuse any thought unless you have 100% response from all attendees is foolish.People who consider this "fake news" are making their own assumptions. This is only an online poll, nothing more.

You yourself admitted probable participant bias earlier in this thread. The sample is also artificially restricted. This isn't plugging your ears and refusing any thought, this is basic statistics. The numbers are interesting but useless. Grab a larger, completely random sample of users on a neutral, non-facebook site that isn't a fan page and you may have something. Right now, no. You can't present this poll as an accurate statistic- even if it may turn out to be right.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of people when it comes to fake news. The last year's worth of politics in the USA has proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

You may want to retitle the poll to better reflect what it is.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris mbroadwater

mbroadwater wrote:
Actually, that number of respondents is a pretty good sample size for the population of GenCon. And it's no more or less biased than doing a poll on this forum.

It is a Facebook fan page for Gen Con. How will the responses NOT be biased? Austicke even acknowledged potential bias in the third post of this thread!

Normal
Small
Posted by mbroadwater

I didn't say it wasn't biased. I said it wasn't any more or less biased than the forums.

Normal
Small
Posted by jobeth66 lehane

lehane wrote:
austicke wrote:
Lots of people book out of block between August and January each year and then see if they can get something better or cheaper in the housing lottery. It's just smart planning.
Further, there are probably a good number of out-of-block rooms being freed up now that some folks can release their contingency room.

The hotel we ended up using had the time listed as "special event", wanted the payment up front, and only offered 10% back on cancellation. This is assuming I am remembering the terms correctly so we were wondering if hotels were starting to tighten up on people reserving rooms, getting a room in the block, then cancelling the first room.

All 3 of the hotels I booked out of block are no deposit and can be canceled with no penalty up to 24 hours before checkin 

Normal
Small
Posted by shavenskaven

Yea. Facebook exclusive polls will not be an accurate representation of the big picture.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke shavenskaven

shavenskaven wrote:Facebook exclusive polls will not be an accurate representation of the big picture.

But it will be an accurate representation of Facebook group members who respond.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris austicke

austicke wrote:
shavenskaven wrote:Facebook exclusive polls will not be an accurate representation of the big picture.

But it will be an accurate representation of Facebook group members who respond.

Yep. It will be an accurate example of badly collected data.

You need to clearly show that this poll is unofficial and done just for fun, and be up front about the bias in it. Sadly the casual reader is not going to read into it as well as some of the people in this thread did.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1
1