What events are you gearing up for already?
1 3 4
1 3 4
Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

What GenCon events are you already preparing for, despite it being over eight months away?

I'm practicing both Guild Ball and Star Wars: Armada in preparation for whatever big tournaments are at GenCon 2017. I'll probably be limited to only one of them though, due to there only being so many waking hours in four days, so I'll have to pick one of them - whichever one I play more practice games of. I'm also writing a Rogue Trader adventure I'm going to run.

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

The annual battle with my wife over whether I can afford to go to GenCon in the first place.  

I've been to Gen Con in 2012, 2014, and 2016--2013 was too close to our wedding, and 2015 was too close to the birth of our child.  Unfortunately, this has created the pattern in her mind that I'm only allowed to attend on even-numbered years.

Normal
Small
Posted by bugwar armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
Unfortunately, this has created the pattern in her mind that I'm only allowed to attend on even-numbered years.
I knew there was a good reason to stay single.

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes

The events I always look forward to are the X-wing North American Championship Tournament on Thursday, and the annual Fantasy Flight In-Flight Report on Friday.  If I can get good enough by then to hold my own in compete in the first tournament for Star Wars Destiny, that would be my new event I'll be looking forward to.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust bugwar

bugwar wrote:
armadilloal wrote:
Unfortunately, this has created the pattern in her mind that I'm only allowed to attend on even-numbered years.
I knew there was a good reason to stay single.

Indeed. It's nice not to have to answer to anyone but yourself.

Normal
Small
Posted by bonesaw

Heroscape.

Been playing since you could buy it at Walmart. Can't wait to dive in.

I wouldn't mind picking up a chess game or two as well.

Does anybody play Chess at Gen Con?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin bonesaw

bonesaw wrote:
Heroscape.
Been playing since you could buy it at Walmart. Can't wait to dive in.
I wouldn't mind picking up a chess game or two as well.
Does anybody play Chess at Gen Con?

Hi Bonesaw,

We rarely have chess at Gen Con, but we very much would welcome it, if you want to run some games or find someone who does.  We've tried to get local groups interested in participating, and just haven't been able to pull something like that together.  We're all in favor, in fact, of more "traditional" games such as chess, go, and mahjong, there just hasn't been a lot of interest from GMs wanting to host those.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by drnsain

I'm looking forward to the following:
-Red Dragon Inn Doppelganger tourney 
-Iron GM
-GM-ing my first game (D&D 5E)
-Playing any D&D 5E games
-Meeting Dead Gentlemen/Zombie Orpheus
-Anything Critical Role related 

Also, first time I'm going to be making an RDI-related costume to wear on the appropriate day.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I am looking forward to playing some Dice Masters again at Gen Con. Also I want to play a Giant game this year. I was fascinated by the giant Oh Gnome you don't game & the giant games at Mayfair. I will be doing at least 1 of those. I loved hearing "Gnome Fight, Gnome Fight" ring through the hallway that I went & bought the game. It is very easy & fun BTW.

Normal
Small
Posted by tlizerz drnsain

drnsain wrote:
-Anything Critical Role related 
Ditto!

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

NASCRAG! 

Also True Dungeon, Killer Breakfast (which will hopefully make a return) and Gamers: Live!

And Trade Day.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez

I'm looking forward to what's new from Mindworm Games! Exiles was excellent, and the expansions they have done look equally good.

Also eager to see if they really hype up the 50th and what's different from a normal Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
I'm looking forward to what's new from Mindworm Games! Exiles was excellent, and the expansions they have done look equally good.
Also eager to see if they really hype up the 50th and what's different from a normal Gen Con.
I agree about seeing what is different about GC50. We considered not going this year due to about to have a 2 month old at that time, but since it was GC50 we had to see how great it will be. Will be Baby's first Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
I agree about seeing what is different about GC50. We considered not going this year due to about to have a 2 month old at that time, but since it was GC50 we had to see how great it will be. Will be Baby's first Gen Con.
Parenting done right... lol!

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Well, not sure about bringing a two month old to Gen Con.

I'm looking forward to:

True Dungeon
D&D 
Pretty much anything by Fantasy Flight Games

Normal
Small
Posted by robbierobb

This is our first time making the trip (and our first big con ever as well) so I'm not entirely sure exactly what to look forward to, however I do know I'm heavily inspired by Green Ronin releasing Matthew Mercer's Critical Role book there. So, as others have said, anything Critical Role related. Really hoping the cast is back for another live show this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by presslerms

I am hoping to get into more RPGs (Hackmaster, maybe the new Conan, and of course D&D).  I usually also sign up for some board games, and card games.  I also like going to the writer symposiums, and of course just walking around down town Indy.  

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal presslerms

presslerms wrote:
I am hoping to get into more RPGs (Hackmaster, maybe the new Conan, and of course D&D).  I usually also sign up for some board games, and card games.  I also like going to the writer symposiums, and of course just walking around down town Indy.  

Pop on over to the sparks force 7 room for some good ole WEG starwars then!

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant robbierobb

robbierobb wrote:
This is our first time making the trip (and our first big con ever as well) so I'm not entirely sure exactly what to look forward to, however I do know I'm heavily inspired by Green Ronin releasing Matthew Mercer's Critical Role book there. So, as others have said, anything Critical Role related. Really hoping the cast is back for another live show this year.

Your party can check out http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/ to see what happened last year and go from there.  While it's not going to be all the same events it should give you a general idea.

Normal
Small
Posted by jm.spellslinger andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
is it your first baby? Bringing a newborn to a convention is probably not a great idea for a number of reasons. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or not do, just warn that there will be MANY many potential health hazards to the baby and let you know that it probably won't be too fun for mom and dad.  Good luck either way! 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 4
1 3 4