What events are you gearing up for already?
1 2 4
1 2 4
Normal
Small
Posted by alien_freak hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
alien_freak wrote:
A lot of people are bringing up Starfinder and now my curiosity has piqued. Since the game officially releases during Gen Con, will Paizo be running events during the convention? Or is this one of those games that I'll have to wait until after the con to play?
I received this reply from Paizo when I asked a few weeks ago on their Facebook announcement of Starfinder:"Will be available for Gen Con. The event schedule is still in process--we'll make those details widely available when ready."
So it sounds like there are plans to run some games for Gen Con. I hope they do it in the Sagamore Ballroom where they run the Pathfinder games sponsored by Paizo. That way they could have a lot of tables dedicated to it.

Thanks for the info, man! A couple people have mentioned a PDF that you apparently get when you pre-order the game. I might have to give that a look... :)

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

The Starfinder pdf is going to be available from Paizo on August 17th, opening day of Gen Con. I am not sure that the pdf comes for free with a pre-order. They usually include pdf copies for subscription, but the Starfinder subscription information is not yet out to my knowledge.

I hope to be able to sign up for some Starfinder games.

Normal
Small
Posted by mbedke neonrhino

neonrhino wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
It was in Ypsilanti (near Ann Arbor) on November 11-13.
Interesting. I'm in Farmington Hills so not far. Will have to look into it.Thanks!
I live in Lansing and didn't know UCon was a thing either. Huh. Something to look forward to this year!
father bloodlust wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
While we're on the subject of discussing/recommending events, I'd like to recommend an event I've seen in the GenCon program before, but just experienced for the first time at UCon in November: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator.
Basically, it's set up like the bridge of a starship, with a forward viewscreen, five separate computers with each representing a station (tactical, helm, engineering, communications and science) and a sixth person playing the captain. The thing that makes this game experience different is that constant communication is needed between bridge stations - for example, the science station has the data on which frequency the beam weapons need to be set to for maximum effect, so the science officer has to tell the tactical officer that. And the captain has to keep everyone focused on the mission, give orders, etc.
It's a really interesting experience, and I highly recommend it.
Sounds pretty interesting for the Star Trek fans out there. One of my companions might be interested in this. Now you just have to choose which crew you want to be, or make up your own.

Just an FYI: Apparently one of the rules is that you have to actually play a mission before you can be the captain (otherwise they just have one of their staff members playing that role).Also, I don't know what the presentation will look like at GenCon. At UCon (a MUCH smaller convention in Michigan), they had the following:
-A projection screen as the forward viewscreen (with a laptop hooked up to a projector to show the visuals)
-Five flat-screened, touchscreen computers for the stations, each on a hotel meeting room desk
-An office chair to act as the captain's chair
I don't know if they'll go for a more stylistic presentation for a convention as big as GenCon, though I hope they do.

Anyone on this thread interested in getting a 'forum team' going for this event at GenCon? Sounds like a blast!
we're interested in the bridge sims too, but only two of us, so we'd be interested in finding others as well to tea, up. 

Normal
Small
Posted by alien_freak hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
The Starfinder pdf is going to be available from Paizo on August 17th, opening day of Gen Con. I am not sure that the pdf comes for free with a pre-order. They usually include pdf copies for subscription, but the Starfinder subscription information is not yet out to my knowledge.
I hope to be able to sign up for some Starfinder games.

Hm, guess I misread the original post about this...it looks like you have to subscribe and reserve a copy first before you get a PDF. I guess it doesn't make a difference if you have to wait either way, but I'm just chomping at the bit to play something other than D&D for the con. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by lilyjade

For sure I will try and do as many World of Darkness games as possible. I also want to try Pathfinder and maybe do some DnD. Been a looooong time since I have played DnD so that would be fun for sure.

I am also interested in doing some of the more "entertainment" based events like the party and shows. Depends on costs and budget though for some of them!

Finally, I plan on doing less Writer's Symposium stuff or maybe none at all. Depends on what is being offered this year. I wasn't super happy with what I attended last year. If they have some about writing fight scenes I may go to those or if something else jumps out at me, but those will not be my focus as they have been the last couple of years.

Normal
Small
Posted by knuteski

Wednesday Night Foam Fighting at the Union Station.

It's just pure mayhem with 100ish people beating the snot out of each other.

I couldn't attend the event last year but this year I'll be there and I'm bringing the whole crew.

Normal
Small
Posted by alien_freak knuteski

knuteski wrote:
Wednesday Night Foam Fighting at the Union Station.
It's just pure mayhem with 100ish people beating the snot out of each other.
I couldn't attend the event last year but this year I'll be there and I'm bringing the whole crew.

Are you allowed to bring your own weapons/shield or is this an official Gen Con event where you're subject to the organizer's rules and whims? If it requires tickets then I might have to check this out.

Normal
Small
Posted by neonrhino ethrdemon

ethrdemon wrote:
We had a Watch the Skies game last year and they're looking to expand this year. NSDM is also a long-running events at the show that is similar and you might want to check out, too.Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

May I just say, I love the GenCon community so much for so many reasons. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Derek!Regarding watch the skies or NSDM; I'm not sure how team focused these events tend to be but I have a small group of friends coming with me and I'll see if any are at all interested in joining as well. If anyone out there in internet land reads this and would like to round out a team with a 30 year old newbie I would be so excited to connect and make new friends!
Derek, thanks so much for posting the information, and for being a part of the amazing team that works tirelessly (and often thanklessly I'm sure) that keeps GenCon so well organized. I'll be attending at least one of these events for sure!

I played 2 sessions of the NSDM last time I was there, it isn't team-focused at all (at least not in the "bring your own team" sense.)  Everyone is given a role, and then it's up to you to find other players with mutually beneficial roles.

I've been in Japan/Korea for the last few weeks and am checking up on this thread again finally. Thanks for following up - NSDM and WtS are definitely on my list. I have a few friends interested going now as well, including a wheelchair-bound participant. Does anyone know if there is a general email or another way to contact the organizers of these events to ask if there is a good role for someone whom isn't as mobile? He's very excited to try out one of these if it can be done!

Thanks in advance.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 2 4
1 2 4