Non RPG events?
Normal
Small
Posted by bink1101

As a second time gen con attendee I was wondering what non RPG events everyone might be checking out. It looks like what most people are most excited about are role play events.

what non-RPG events is everyone excited  about? And what should I check out?

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant

We won't know the exact events until the list is published.  Since you know more than us what you like here's what came out last year:  http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/

Normal
Small
Posted by soulcatcher78

Usually any new product from Cool Mini or Not (last year it was The Others: 7 Sins and the year before it was Blood Rage).  Hoping they'll have something for their newest (not yet on Kickstarter) Eric Lang game Rising Sun).

I haven't seen anything from Zman games (Pandemic) but I'm hoping they've got something cooking to make my Pandemic Cthulhu even deadlier :)

Last year Fallen Dominion games was in the midst of their Kickstarter campaign for Fallen Lands and I hope that I will get a chance to play it this year (esp if I haven't gotten my copy yet).  They've been doing smaller conventions this year so I'm hoping to get some time in front of it.

Last year the Kickstarter room was a blast (Cards Against Humanity, Secret Hitler, etc.) so I'm hoping for another year of that.

First Exposure playtests are another good thing to check out.  Not only do you get to provide designers with feedback but you can try games you'd normally not sign up an entire slot for (deck building games for me).

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

The Gamers: Live show is always a highlight for me. Yes, there are certainly RPG elements to the show, but the audience isn't RPGing.

I also enjoy the mini painting seminars and The Writers' Symposium is excellent if you have any interest at all in writing. My husband loves to try out new tabletop games as well as the escape rooms. 

Normal
Small
Posted by thejoltess

I think it depends on what you are interested in - there are quite a few Entertainment, SPA and Workshop events that are non RPG but definitely geek flavored. As already mentioned, looking through the old event lists will give you an idea of what else there is, but keep in mind that not every event makes it back the following year.

Just some of my own non RPG highlights over the years
- Orc Stomp 5K
- Scale mail or chain mail workshop
- learning to paint miniatures (usually associated with miniature gaming but with so many rpgs and board games using mini lately, might be an interest!)
-SPA and Workshops have a bunch of make-your-own events, like cosplay pieces, jewelry, corset patterns
- Dice Tower Live
- Comedy Events (Bad Fan Fiction Reading, (Who the #$%& is my D&D character?)
- Sculpting Dragons
- Giant King of Tokyo
- Haunted Walk of Indianapolis

Normal
Small
Posted by icespark

I've been enjoying more of the workshop events.  Things like staff/sword fighting, painting, plastic molding, making a light up nerf gun, etc.  There was even a sushi making event one year.  I love dabbling in new skills.  Hoping to pick up some more this year.

Aside from that, brewery tours, seminars, Death Cup at the Ram, and really just checking out new games in the dealer hall.  There's all kinds of fun non-RPG stuff out there.

Normal
Small
Posted by icespark

Can't edit, so will add: 

Actually, one of my guilty pleasures as an adult is the life-sized Oh, Gnome You Don't!  game.  I love hopping around in my little hat and beard.

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away icespark

icespark wrote:
Can't edit, so will add: 
Actually, one of my guilty pleasures as an adult is the life-sized Oh, Gnome You Don't!  game.  I love hopping around in my little hat and beard.

Were they set up in the corridor heading out towards the Stadium?
'Cause that looked like fun.

Normal
Small
Posted by icespark

Last year they were.  In previous years they were on the second floor of the ICC.

Normal
Small
Posted by ifdirector

For a bit of entertainment, we are planning on bringing the play She Kills Monsters back again this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I'm hoping they'll be taping more Writing Excuses Podcasts this year.  I love the podcast and it's fun to see it done live.

Normal
Small
Posted by weeble1000

Miniatures games can be a ton of fun at a convention, especially for folks who aren't into the hobby.

Look for scenario-based games where all materials are provided. For most minis games this means some passionate hobbyist build a ton of really cool stuff and wants to let you play with it.

You might find a recreation of the Battle of Hoth, a pulp adventure set in a fully modeled multi-layer moon base, or a cooperative gunfight in a lovingly-detailed frontier town.

You get to enjoy all of the spectacle and have all of the fun without doing any of the work!

Normal
Small
Posted by khoric

My group is mostly board gamers. I love to try and find the newer games or games that we haven't heard of. Last year we found a few gems like Guardians Explore.
I sometimes check BGG and see what's hot throughout the year and mark what I think we might like for later reference.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.