They Might Be Giants Concert Discussion
Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get to see if there was more information out there about how the event will be "billed" as it were, for example if like to know if it will appear as a listed event with a limited number of open registration slots and/or if it will be open to the general public.

I've been huge fan and was wondering how much excitement this is bringing to others as well. Usually I end up getting my badge later but if this is going to be up for grabs as it were, I'd like to be the first in line.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

This show is going to be great!  The Giants always put on a great concert.  Our group of six will absolutely be going to this on Thursday night!

Normal
Small
Posted by rhhata

As an old guy, I gotta ask.  Who?

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

Lol - how old are you?  TMBG has been relative popular for over 30 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Might_Be_Giants

Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

They Might Be Giants is a Brooklyn based ... Alternative (?) pop(?) band that has been killing it for the music and educational kids circuit for the last few decades, they wrote dozens of songs I guarantee you've heard a million times from theme songs, to commercial jingles, all the way to Strong Bad email music videos. 

Normal
Small
Posted by lmengsol

Who exactly....didn't they play at GC in Milwaukee? If I remember correctly they weren't that great then. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Have you ever heard the theme to the sitcom "Malcolm in the Middle?" If so, you've heard TMBG.

Though my knowledge of them is limited to that and maybe one or two of their other songs.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhhata

Ah, thanks for all the info.  I probably have heard them, just didn't know it/didn't associate the music to the group.

As for how old?  Lets just say I was born before Sputnik, and leave it at that, shall we?

Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

So yeah, it seems their show that day in Milwaukee was kinda fkd because of technical issues and a surprise downpour. 

Their wiki has an interesting review of the show, as you may have guessed they have a quite cultlike following and are obsessively organized, especially since They (Tee hee) have such an enormous library of work.
http://tmbw.net/wiki/Shows/1998-08-06

I've seen them live 3 times, each was a blast so I sure hope the techs onsite this year have their ducks in a row.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I love the band Sputnik! So you were born in the 80s, huh?

Normal
Small
Posted by donaldbain

Any guesses on how much tickets are going to cost?

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

$18.50

Cheaper than True Dungeon

Normal
Small
Posted by jm.spellslinger

Are tickets on sale through the Con or is this a separate event?

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Tickets will go on sale through the Event portal. No price has been set, so I'm not sure where the $18.50 comes from.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

Any idea how many tickets will be available for the show?

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

$18.50 was a joke.  The previous poster asked if there was any guesses to how much tickets were going to cost.

Normal
Small
Posted by alien_freak rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
$18.50 was a joke.  The previous poster asked if there was any guesses to how much tickets were going to cost.

I think you need 1 wool, 1 grain and 1 ore for a ticket.

That sounds about right.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhhata austicke

austicke wrote:
I love the band Sputnik! So you were born in the 80s, huh?
I had to google the band Sputnik, and just from what I saw, I'm glad I've never heard of them.  Not exactly my style I guess.  But hey, they probably made more money in a couple years than I've made in my entire life, so who am I to judge?

Normal
Small
Posted by rhhata

Sorry for the derailment, and to hopefully get the thread back on track ...
Looks like Bankers Life has seating for about 18K, and I didn't see this concert listed in their 'upcoming events', so I'm assuming the concert is for Gen Con attendees exclusively!
Can you imagine what it will be like to get 18,000 gamers at the same time in the same pl.... er ... nevermind. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by dradama

So the concert in 1998 was awesome but TMBG were over shadowed, IMO, by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets.  There is a clip from that GenCon on YouTube and one cool part is that my buddy Rick and I are in it!  Was so cool when I found this clip... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGY-mpROyW8 

Wish they were able to get the Thickets to open for them again. 

As a note the concert back then was free to all GenCon attendees.  Seems like this year GenCon will be charging for he concert?  I thought this would be a perk for the 50th anniversary but I guess that is asking to much from the mercenary powers that be within GenCon's management and the greed that overpowers their spirit.   

Sign in to write a new post. New Post