They Might Be Giants Concert Discussion
Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba dradama

dradama wrote:As a note the concert back then was free to all GenCon attendees.  Seems like this year GenCon will be charging for he concert?  I thought this would be a perk for the 50th anniversary but I guess that is asking to much from the mercenary powers that be within GenCon's management and the greed that overpowers their spirit.   

Maybe if the concert would have been in an outdoor space, then they could manage to make it free. Since it's going to be in an NBA-grade stadium, I can't see how they could absorb the entire cost of the concert.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez dradama

dradama wrote:As a note the concert back then was free to all GenCon attendees.  Seems like this year GenCon will be charging for he concert?  I thought this would be a perk for the 50th anniversary but I guess that is asking to much from the mercenary powers that be within GenCon's management and the greed that overpowers their spirit.   

Gen Con is a business... and businesses have expenses. They have not listed a ticket price yet, but in order to gain access to the venue, I am sure there is a cost involved (TMBG is probably also expecting to get paid for their concert. It is their job after all). Much like the expenses it takes to rent not only the entire ICC, but Lucas Oil Field, Union Station and the hotel meeting spaces around the area. I'm not sure if you have tried to rent a space to have a meeting at, but I know that it isn't cheap to do this even in our local small mall. I cannot even imagine the cost of the ICC per day. So if there is a charge for the tickets, I will not mind. If I think it is too much, I will just find something else to do on that night. 

Normal
Small
Posted by dradama aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

Gen Con is a business... and businesses have expenses. They have not listed a ticket price yet, but in order to gain access to the venue, I am sure there is a cost involved (TMBG is probably also expecting to get paid for their concert. It is their job after all). Much like the expenses it takes to rent not only the entire ICC, but Lucas Oil Field, Union Station and the hotel meeting spaces around the area. I'm not sure if you have tried to rent a space to have a meeting at, but I know that it isn't cheap to do this even in our local small mall. I cannot even imagine the cost of the ICC per day. So if there is a charge for the tickets, I will not mind. If I think it is too much, I will just find something else to do on that night. 
Obviously businesses have expenses but they also had expenses back in 98.  I am sure that TMBG got paid in 98 also even though there was not a ticket cost to see the concert, it was a gift to the loyal fans of GenCon.  As for expenses they shut down a major street in Milwaukee for the night and constructed a large stage for the performance.  If they were worried about the cost of the venue then why not have it outside once again and construct a stage?  I don't think they would have to worry too much about there being too many people as there are a lot of other events to attend on Thursday night. 

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

That's enough.

We don't allow personal attacks here, and saying that greed overpowers the spirit of Gen Con's management is certainly such an attack.  Neither I, nor anyone else at Gen Con who has worked on this project, have done so out of greed.  Tickets will defray only slightly the cost to Gen Con to have this event.

If you don't want to attend, fine.  If you don't want to attend because you have to buy an extra ticket, fine.  If you think this concert is being put on for greed, then you have no idea who or what you're talking about, and no business discussing this further.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

Yeah, this thing really went off the rails huh? I was just hoping to get people talking and excited but it looks like yet another victim of forum toxicity.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Hi guys,

On a brighter note, we've now got solid information: http://www.gencon.com/experience/gc50_tmbgconcert

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.

Normal
Small
Posted by spacemuffler

Thank you for the update, that answers more than one of my questions.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Geez, I feel greedy buying a ticket for $10.  I just paid $300 to go see U2 and will probably have a better time watching The Giants.

Gen Con 50 is going to rock!

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Geez, I feel greedy buying a ticket for $10.  I just paid $300 to go see U2 and will probably have a better time watching The Giants.
Gen Con 50 is going to rock!

I last saw TMBG in 2013 for $28 per ticket (plus fees, ugh). This is a steal!

Normal
Small
Posted by apparentlymarylee

Saw them in Brooklyn a few years ago for free, so I have zero problem paying a whopping $14 to see them again :P

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Hi guys,

Just a heads-up: the Bankers Life Fieldhouse has their own security procedures: http://www.bankerslifefieldhouse.com/arena-information/fan-guide/

Which boils down to (not exclusively):

++++++++++++++++

**Effective January 1, 2017:  Bankers Life Fieldhouse will no longer courtesy check knives or other weapons for events or games. **

For safety reasons, prohibited items include but are not limited to:

• Alcohol, drugs, illegal substances, or any paraphernalia associated with drug use
  • Audio/Video recorders, professional cameras, tripods
  • Backpacks
  • Bags larger than 14”x14”x6”
  • Beach balls or any projectiles or missiles
  • Cans, bottles, coolers, or other similar containers
  • Fireworks
  • Laser pens/pointers of any type
  • Noisemakers such as air horns
  • Objects that obstruct another guest’s view of the playing/performance surface
  • Outside food or drinks
  • Pepper spray/Mace
  • Poles or sticks
  • Signs, flags, banners larger 11″X17″ or affixed to any pole
  • Skateboards/roller blades
  • Tripods, mono pods, or selfie sticks
  • Weapons of any type, including chains, knives, firearms, and spiked jewelry
  • Any other item deemed unacceptable by event/building management

If an item is revealed during a search, guests may dispose of the item or return the item to their vehicle.
++++++++++++++++

Better safe than sorry; check what you're carrying before you head over for the concert!

Remember, this is for the Fieldhouse.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC.

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

I just wanted to say that I am rarely someone who gets excited about Gen-Con musical events, but I saw They Might Be Giants live twice (albeit both times as a wee child in the 1990s) and I have to say they are a shockingly intense and fun live act, so this is not something to miss if you like their music, like, at all.

Normal
Small
Posted by krokmaster

The description of the event notes "You will need a Gen Con badge (4-day or Thursday) in order to obtain tickets. Tickets will only be sold through Gen Con's registration system."  Is that one badge for one ticket, or can someone attending buy an additional ticket or two?  I'll have some family members traveling with me who would love to see the show.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke krokmaster

krokmaster wrote:Is that one badge for one ticket, or can someone attending buy an additional ticket or two?  I'll have some family members traveling with me who would love to see the show.

For most events, you can buy one ticket for yourself and also a second ticket. Some events, like True Dungeon, allow you to buy even more tickets. (You can also buy additional tickets for "friends".)

However, in all cases, everyone using a ticket must have a Gen Con badge. No one may attend Gen Con events without a badge (even if someone bought an extra event ticket for them).

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Austicke is correct,

You will need to have a badge to attend the concert. Since it is on Thursday you can just purchase a badge for that day to attend if need be. Otherwise a 4-day, or 4-day equivalent will work. 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by trueoak mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Austicke is correct,
You will need to have a badge to attend the concert. Since it is on Thursday you can just purchase a badge for that day to attend if need be. Otherwise a 4-day, or 4-day equivalent will work. 
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

I would like to take my whole family out o the concert.  We all have badges except the youngest, who has a "child wristband."   Will I be able to purchase a ticket for her?  Or do we get a generic and treat it as a "+1"? Thanks

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Yes, the child wristband will suffice as "a badge" for those 8 and younger. You can just purchase her a ticket. Generic tickets would not guarantee entry so that route would not be advised.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service and Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.