Event List General Questions (Pinned)
2 4 5
2 4 5
Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

To answer both above questions, you cannot add items to a friend's wishlist; and you can see a walkthrough of how to add events to your wish list by watching the video linked at the bottom of this page:

http://www.gencon.com/experience/find

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb tpman14

tpman14 wrote:
Is there a way to add items to my friend's wishlists?  Right now I can add an item to my wishlist and select my friends (to make sure we all get in the same board game demo).  I was hoping that my friends could then see what I added (suggested) for us to do so we can all plan accordingly.

My husband and I use a Google doc spreadsheet to map out our interests and potential backup events. Since we can both access it online and both edit (and see each other's edits) it works well.

Normal
Small
Posted by boomdabah

What is the policy on spouse's accompanying one to an event but not participating? Let's say one wants to do an activity but the other does not, is watching permissible? Also, if both spouses want to participate they both need a ticket to a spouse event correct? 

Normal
Small
Posted by jpederso

Two questions: (1) when filling out my wishlist it allowed me to add overlapping events (2 events that start on Thursday at 10 AM).  Is this new?  I remember last year I couldn't add events that overlap.  Maybe that was after event registration.  (2) I didn't see any seminars with Margaret Weis, it mentioned that she would take part in some panels as part as an Industry Insider - how do I find those panels?

Normal
Small
Posted by joelf847

What drives the prices on events?  Most 4 hour RPG events seem to be $4, but some are $8.  Is this something the event organizer sets, or is there some other reason some are more than others?

Normal
Small
Posted by parody

Observers: Up to the GM, assuming the observer and the GM are being respectful to each other.  (Most event areas at Gen Con are public spaces, so technically I don't think a GM could do much about a non-disruptive observer.  Why not be nice and ask, though?)

Multiple Players (Spouses or not): Yes, in most cases both need tickets.

Overlapping Times in Wish Lists: You can put as many events that overlap as you want on your wish list, but in most cases you're only going to get the first one that's available.  The system will skip anything else that conflicts.  (Some events let you overlap, but most do not.)

Event Pricing: The organizer picks, with a minimum of $1 per hour in most cases.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

To answer some questions and provide some clarification for misc. questions in this thread:

For event pricing, MOST events have a Gen Con fee of $2 for up to 2 hours of events; some Gen Con events, and seminars, and some other misc events such as certain charity events, do not have a Gen Con fee.  However, for just a standard RPG or board game, a one hour event would have a $2 fee, a 2 hour event would have a $2 fee, a 3 hour event would have a $4 fee, etc....

On top of that, event organizers may add an additional fee for their events, which they will receive post show, based on tickets turned in.

As noted in a prior post, Industry Insider events are not yet active. 

Spouse, or SPA events, need tickets and badges for participation, just as any regular event does. Sitting and watching would be completely up to the event organizer, but I would not in any way expect that, as they have a limited number of chairs for actual attendees, nor may they feel comfortable sharing techniques with someone who does not have a ticket, and that's completely reasonable.  Plan on buying a ticket, or do another event at the same time, would be my advice.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by joekupsky

What is the location for BGM17104732, Red Dragon Inn?  Thanks.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke joekupsky

joekupsky wrote:What is the location for BGM17104732, Red Dragon Inn?  Thanks.

Not specified yet. It'll be updated before the event starts.

Normal
Small
Posted by joekupsky austicke

austicke wrote:
joekupsky wrote:What is the location for BGM17104732, Red Dragon Inn?  Thanks.

Not specified yet. It'll be updated before the event starts.
Thanks for that!

Normal
Small
Posted by mhalzorn

Why can my friends not see the events I'm added to their Wishlists? This seems like a terrible design. How exactly are friend supposed to easily coordinate around scheduling? Most people are going to want to know which of their friends are interested in, or attending certain events. 

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

You're not adding things to their wishlists, you're adding tickets for them to your own.

Unfortunately, the system is not designed for sharing of interest, only for purchasing of tickets for friends.

Coordination and juggling schedules needs to be done the old fashioned way.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by apparentlymarylee

What's the deal with the duration? i.e., It doesn't take 2 hours to play Splendor, so what happens if you finish after 30 and want to get up and leave? Is that rude? And is that going to affect the times I can buy tickets for other events? 
(To clarify, this isn't the "learn how to play" event either. Just straight up splendor.)

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

For short individual games with a longer duration, it should be assumed you get to play multiple times, or the extra time is there to teach new players - even if it doesn't explicitly say that (remember to check Experience Required, too). When in doubt, you can contact the event organizer directly, if they provided their info.

Sometimes folks need to duck out of a game early, but it is kinda rude to leave more than 10-15 minutes before the scheduled end, I would say. How much of an issue that is will depend greatly on the individual event - it's not a big deal from a tournament or something where players can be reshuffled, but it's definitely a problem for a narrative-heavy game like a LARP or RPG - or if the game was in high demand and sold out quickly, so you're taking up a seat someone else would have wanted.

And yes, for most events you cannot double-book yourself. Part of the cost you pay to participate in any given event is the time/opportunity cost. Most events want a solid commitment.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by marklesh

Does anyone know if True Dungeon will be running on Sunday? It doesn't appear to be showing up in the event finder yet. Thanks in advance! 

-- Lesh

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

They will not - their schedule is what is listed with their events.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Are the Guild Ball events that show up now all that are going to be at GenCon? It doesn't look like there's a big tournament or anything.

Normal
Small
Posted by asgelb

question on added events to my wishlist...

when it comes time for the lottery system to get me tickets based on the priority I've put them in...

lets say i want to play "Tyrants of Underdark" and there are 3 time slots per day (over 3 days) to sign up. I want to make sure I get one game in while I'm there...if I add all the "Tyrants of Underdark" events to my wishlist, and prioritize them 1-9.....do I stand the risk of getting more than one? I Just want to play once, on any day, but I remember last year things "sell out" quite fast, so I want to put all the instances of that event so I get one.

Is there some sort of "duplicate protection" or a last chance to release tickets I got, but don't want?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Asgelb, after the wishlist processes, you can remove duplicate events before purchasing them.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

The only checking wishlist processing does it:

• Do you have a valid badge covering the event (if not, you couldn't add it to your wishlist in the first place)?
  • Do you have a conflicting event in your cart/schedule?
  • Do you have the maximum number of tickets you get to that event (under your own name)?

It does nothing to prevent you from booking the same event at multiple non-conflicting times. Sometimes, that may be exactly what someone wants to do.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5
2 4 5