Event List General Questions (Pinned)
1 2 3 5
1 2 3 5
Normal
Small
Posted by teutonic

It would have been really nice if the Classic Event Search function was easy to find. The new event search is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder teutonic

teutonic wrote:
It would have been really nice if the Classic Event Search function was easy to find. The new event search is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

It is the second major section on How to Find Events, in the Experience menu.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

 teutonic wrote:The new event search is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Works perfectly fine for my needs.

Normal
Small
Posted by glory

The new event search is awful. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke glory

glory wrote:The new event search is awful. 

Hmm, I guess I'm missing something. Where is it deficient? You just don't like the interface? Or it can't do something you want?

Normal
Small
Posted by glory

You have to do more clicking when you're scrolling through events. I don't care what letter the event starts with. For example, I just want to see all events at 9am Thursday.

It is also much slower than the classic search 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Ah, thanks for clarifying. So it sounds like it's not that it's lacking a feature; it's just inefficient.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I do have to agree that I much preferred 'finding' an event using a third party site, and then I'd locate it in the GenCon Event Finder using the ID number.

The search feature I liked on the other site here is that I could click Call of Cthulhu to see an easily readable list of ALL those RPG games across days/times, separated by editions.  Same went for D&D, and a few other RPGs that caught my eye on the list of Roleplaying Games that were presented in alphabetical order - and again, very easily readable without having to navigate several pages.

Could very well be that the GenCon website requires the 'bulky' format for whatever reason, but yeah if they could make a more streamlined list like that third party site it might be easier to navigate.  Just my two coppers.

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott glory

glory wrote:
You have to do more clicking when you're scrolling through events. I don't care what letter the event starts with. For example, I just want to see all events at 9am Thursday.
It is also much slower than the classic search 
you can still order the events by time in the new search interface. Choose a category like board games then in the dark blue band click on start time. The list will reorder based on time.

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

Actually I am surprised nobody immediately mentioned the real problem with the new event search--the seeming impossibility of doing an "and" search operator.  I proved this point by doing a search for a completely absurd phrase (in quotation marks) and getting hundreds of hits because no matter what you do it still searches for ANY of those words instead of ALL of those words.  The old search could do quotation marks to indicate a phrase you wanted to search for instead of a series of words.

Now, granted, this only mattered to me because I was specifically looking for Gen Con 50 events, and "Gen Con 50" was returning, like, literally every event in the catalog.  But obviously I eventually figured out that all I had to do was find one Gen Con 50 event and then click on the organizer and then I had a list.  Still a little dumb though.  Edit: That is, a little dumb if I am right that it is not possible in the new system!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Sorry, quarex, but the search works perfectly fine when using quotation marks.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

It is probably sufficient to say that some people people like the "new" search and some prefer the older one. That's why we kept both around, ultimately, so it's fine for folks to use either.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

People have reported that the system allowed them to overlap the Nascrag events with other events.  This might explain why some of our slots sold out and then became available again.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Tournaments do not block out schedules - they allow overlap. NASCRAG events were set up the same way last year and permitted the same double-booking.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Derek:  I certainly understand why the second round of the tournament shouldn't cause overlap problems.  But the first round should.  It's not "By Advancement" like the finals, and you would always need to block out the first 4 hours.

Is this just a case where Nascrag is different than other tournaments?  It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Ultimately, the answer is that the system isn't nuanced enough to track one variety of tournament from another.

The "allow overlap" flag is basically a hold-over from a simpler time and specifically for when a single tournament event listing might cover multiple rounds and someone might be eliminated part way through that window (or decide to drop because they know they can't place) and if their schedule was blocked out, that would complicate them turning around and getting right back into another tournament.

It would be cool to get more granular with tournament details (along with many other things about event submission and management), but there is alway as a long List of Things We Would Like To Do, and gamers should be capable of policing their own schedule anyway. For most events, blocking out your schedule is more to ensure you have to pay with time as well as money when you want to get a ticket to something, and to make sure those tickets are spread around a bit more and there are fewer empty seats. Tournaments aren't usually the kinds of events to sell out quickly.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by jhs

Apologies as I am sure this has been asked but I can't find it:  how do I return a ticket?

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

If you go to My Transactions there is a button called "Return Tickets".  Not sure how it works as I have not clicked it before.

Normal
Small
Posted by portanas helenbb

helenbb wrote:
tpman14 wrote:
Is there a way to add items to my friend's wishlists?  Right now I can add an item to my wishlist and select my friends (to make sure we all get in the same board game demo).  I was hoping that my friends could then see what I added (suggested) for us to do so we can all plan accordingly.

My husband and I use a Google doc spreadsheet to map out our interests and potential backup events. Since we can both access it online and both edit (and see each other's edits) it works well.
Do you have a copy of the spreadsheet I can use?  Obviously I want to edit it for my own use.  This is a great idea.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 2 3 5
1 2 3 5