VIG Badges 2017
Posted by mjhan300

Hey just a quick question to anyone that can respond:

It would be nice to know more about the VIG badges for 2017. Like:

How many VIG badges exist (whats the total to be allotted for 2017)?
How many VIG participants from 2016 opted to retain their status for 2017?
How many new VIG badges were really available for 2017?
And finally, how many people were actually trying to get picked for those few VIG badges that opened up for 2017?

Just trying to get some info on the actual turnover of the VIG's. My wife and I did enter our names into the VIG 2017 lottery and didn't win (sad face...) but I would like to know if like 2000 people were trying to get 5 open VIG spots or 20000 people trying to get 50 spots or whatever...

Any numbers out there that can be given out??

Posted by mikeboozer mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:
Hey just a quick question to anyone that can respond:
It would be nice to know more about the VIG badges for 2017. Like:
How many VIG badges exist (whats the total to be allotted for 2017)?
How many VIG participants from 2016 opted to retain their status for 2017?
How many new VIG badges were really available for 2017?
And finally, how many people were actually trying to get picked for those few VIG badges that opened up for 2017?
Just trying to get some info on the actual turnover of the VIG's. My wife and I did enter our names into the VIG 2017 lottery and didn't win (sad face...) but I would like to know if like 2000 people were trying to get 5 open VIG spots or 20000 people trying to get 50 spots or whatever...
Any numbers out there that can be given out??

This is information that we do not share. I can tell you that the VIG program expands each year, and that it is a very popular program that many people are interested in.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by mjhan300

Ok, fair enough. I was just hoping for a little transparency in the process to see what the odds were in actually getting the "golden ticket" (for a price of course).

I'll just keep emailing our names in at the end of every year and hoping for a miracle.

Posted by eldrad12000

I hope it doesn't expand a whole lot each year. The VIG lounge and early access line are already crowded enough as it is.

Posted by mjhan300

I'm not saying it needs to expand every year. I understand the whole VIG experience. If existing VIG's have issues with space and such there are options:

• Add another VIG room for added capacity maybe even in a different area in a completely different part of the ICC.
  • Add more early access lines.
  • Add a different level of VIG that gives limited add-ons.
  • Maybe add a premiere or heroic status to the elite group of VIG's depending on seniority with the event which again grants more exclusive benefits.

I do agree though that if the number of VIG's keeps growing, additional space needs to be added as to not diminish the whole VIG experience. 

My whole point was just relay a little more info (and metrics) on the whole VIG process for those trying to get VIG access. It sure would be nice to know that I am in a lottery with 10,000 other people trying to get access to 5 VIG badges. I don't think this info compromises anything.

Just throwing out suggestions...

Posted by dballing

It's odd that this is now secret info. It used to be public knowledge how many VIG badges there were, how many companion badges, etc.

I suspect a VIG could sort it out in situ in the lounge by counting stuff up but it'd be nice to know sooner than taht.

Posted by hawkeye

Well, if you figure out one, you will know the other. 1 companion / VIG.

Posted by noone

It use to be 250 vigs and 350 companion badges.  This year they cut the companions down to 1 per vig.  Unless they increased the program that would make it 300 vig badges and 300 companions.  They used to say how many vigs didnt renew but have not done that for 3 years.  It was around 25 per year.  As for counting heads in the lounge there is never more than 100 ive seen at once in there usally below 50

Posted by eldrad12000

I know as a ViG they did increase the amount of ViG tickets this year, while decreasing the companions to just 1 per ViG. So maybe it might be something along the lines of 300 vigs and 300 companions? But perhaps more, they don't really tell us the numbers. As for the amount of open slots, they have grown less and less each year. I remember like two years ago it was only like 2 or 3 didn't renew.
It is becoming like season tickets for sports teams. There are and have been ViG's who have renewed their tickets even if they are not able to attend that year, in order to make sure they remain a ViG.

Posted by remnant

The spirit of the question is really how many people apply to how many VIG badges are available (plus how many people are retained I guess) which Gen Con stated they do not share.  I get people would like 'transparency' but the tester in me realizes how that could be misused.

Posted by mjhan300

I really don't see how that info can be misused. A simple "We have a total of 300 VIG badges this year, plus 300 VIG companion badges. 275 of those VIG badges are being renewed, so we will have 25 VIG badges (plus companions) available. Good luck to all applying".

I think that is a very simple way of being transparent, and not giving away the farm.

At this point, it is what it is, not trying to stir up anything. Just trying to think of some ways to better the process, thats all.

Posted by roganca mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:
I really don't see how that info can be misused. A simple "We have a total of 300 VIG badges this year, plus 300 VIG companion badges. 275 of those VIG badges are being renewed, so we will have 25 VIG badges (plus companions) available. Good luck to all applying".
I think that is a very simple way of being transparent, and not giving away the farm.
At this point, it is what it is, not trying to stir up anything. Just trying to think of some ways to better the process, thats all.
I'm curious about this too so I would like to know, but my guess is their thinking runs likes this: "we give out the numbers, all non-VIGs are unhappy there are so few badges available, all VIGs are unhappy there are so many badges available."

Posted by noone roganca

roganca wrote:
mjhan300 wrote:
I'm curious about this too so I would like to know, but my guess is their thinking runs likes this: "we give out the numbers, all non-VIGs are unhappy there are so few badges available, all VIGs are unhappy there are so many badges available."
no most VIGs don't care.  Every year in the vig forums the ne VIGs post they are new they are warmly greeted.  Your bigotry is showing

Posted by noone

Also in the vig forums are the loudest discussions on how many are not renewed.  For years me and several other VIGs try to find out to share with other people.

Posted by roganca noone

miked wrote:
Also in the vig forums are the loudest discussions on how many are not renewed.  For years me and several other VIGs try to find out to share with other people.
miked wrote:
roganca wrote:
mjhan300 wrote:
no most VIGs don't care.  Every year in the vig forums the ne VIGs post they are new they are warmly greeted.  Your bigotry is showing
Bigotry? Harsh word to apply to a VIG companion...

Posted by mbuster1954 roganca

roganca wrote:
mjhan300 wrote:
Yeah, we really don't care. Anyone who thinks the VIG community is conspiring against information being released or super invested in knowing exact numbers is ridiculous. I guess this goes along with the thinking that VIGs alone buy every limited release on Thursday and keep other con goers from getting new, popular games. As of 2016 everything I bought early on Thursday was in stock as of Saturday. 

Posted by remnant roganca

roganca wrote:
miked wrote:
miked wrote:
roganca wrote:
mjhan300 wrote:
Bigotry? Harsh word to apply to a VIG companion...

So... The VIG you're a companion too is unhappy there are so many badges available for VIGs? 

Posted by mikeboozer

Please keep this civil. It's starting to turn.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by quarex

My only complaint about the program, other than of course "I sure do wish I had a badge," is that there was no notification when the lottery had been held (yes I did e-mail my interest properly per instructions). I only knew it had happened when it occurred to me that hotel registration was the next day and that I needed to throw my lot back in with the rest of the Normal Gamers :)

Posted by austicke quarex

quarex wrote:My only complaint about the program, other than of course "I sure do wish I had a badge," is that there was no notification when the lottery had been held (yes I did e-mail my interest properly per instructions). I only knew it had happened when it occurred to me that hotel registration was the next day and that I needed to throw my lot back in with the rest of the Normal Gamers :)

Not true. Mike posted on this forum when notification to new VIGs was conducted back in January.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post