Web / Mobile App Developer
Gen Con LLC produces the largest and longest-running gaming convention in North America. Powering this annual event is a unique technology platform that supports registration and event planning for tens of thousands of attendees, event hosts and vendors, and online and on-site operations tools for hundreds of staff and organizers.
The Gen Con platform engineering team owns the development, maintenance, and commercialization of this system and seeks a Web / Mobile App Developer to help ensure it delivers a premier experience for all stakeholders. You’ll join an existing Seattle-based team that is as passionate about software development as they are about gaming and serving the gaming community.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, graphic designers, and other developers to define technical requirements and estimate effort
- Design and implement front- and back-end features with modern, maintainable code that is easy-to-read, well-documented and works well across a range of mobile and desktop devices
- Contribute to design of overall system architecture and client/server APIs
- Contribute to automated test suite and test plans for manual testing
- Work with the IT operations team to ensure system scaling, reliability and cost efficiency
- Adhere to and help improve the team’s development processes and workflows
- Participate in code reviews and contribute to establishing best practices
- Research new technologies and frameworks to incorporate in the platform
What you’ll need
- 5+ years designing and building Web applications in a fast-paced collaborative team setting
- BS/BA degree in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering or mathematics)
- Proficient with the following technologies:
- Web application frameworks (Must: Rails / Node.js. Bonus: Express / hapi)
- Mobile app development (Must: hybrid mobile app framework, e.g. Cordova / React Native. Bonus: Native mobile development in iOS / Android)
- Databases (Must: SQL, e.g. Postgres / MySQL. Bonus: NoSQL, e.g. MongoDB / CouchDB / Redis / Elasticsearch)
- Message/task brokers (Delayed Job / RabbitMQ / Kafka)
- Development tools and processes (Must: Git / Agile / Scrum)
- Outstanding understanding of software design and architecture
- Experience writing and maintain automated tests within a continuous integration environment
- Experience deploying and managing applications on cloud-based infrastructure, such as Heroku and AWS. Experience with Docker is a bonus
- Self-starter able to take initiative and thrive in an entrepreneurial organization with evolving processes
- Organized and detail oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Working at Gen Con
Gen Con's corporate office resides in the beautiful Leschi neighborhood of Seattle, located on the shores of Lake Washington. Employment also includes annual attendance to the Gen Con convention in Indianapolis.
Company benefits include:
- Fun, flexible work environment with sit/stand desks
- Game-loving team culture with regular social events
- Company-paid health, dental, and vision
- Generous 401(k) matching
- Good work/life balance with extensive vacation time, holidays, sick days, and three personal days per year
- Annual offsite corporate summit, which has taken place in venues in Portland, Whistler, the Methow Valley, Orcas Island, and at Seattle's Safeco Field.
Gen Con does not offer relocation assistance or sponsor visas at this time. All submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applicants only, please. No recruiters or agencies.