Magic: The Gathering to Celebrate 25 Years at Gen Con
INDIANAPOLIS (June 28, 2018) Magic: The Gathering will commemorate its 25th Birthday on August 2-5 in Indianapolis at Gen Con, North America’s largest and longest-running tabletop convention. Making an international splash at Gen Con in 1993, Magic: The Gathering has become a worldwide phenomenon with more than 100 booster releases, printings in eleven languages, and more than 20,000 unique cards. At Gen Con 2018, Magic will give back to the gaming community with a host of planned events, tournaments, and surprises.
“We are thrilled to see Magic’s exciting plans for 2018,” said David Hoppe, Gen Con President. “25 years ago, Magic’s debut at Gen Con changed the course of gaming history, and we’re eager to see not only what they have planned for this year, but for the next 25 years of Magic: The Gathering.”
Magic’s 2018 presence at Gen Con will include hundreds of events, including Learn-to-Play programming, competitive drafts, and signature offerings that highlight the 25th Birthday of the original tradeable card game.
- Magic’s 25th Birthday Championship- Eight qualifier events, open to all attendees, will take place over the weekend that will culminate in a Sunday eight-player event which will feature Beta boosters from Magic’s first year of existence.
- Magic Panel- Attendees can learn about Magic’s history and glimpse its future at a ticketed, free panel.Celebrate Magic’s 25th birthday with its creators! Come join us and members of Magic’s R&D team as they talk about their personal history with the game and where they see it in the next 25 years. Get a look behind the scenes at Wizards and learn about their journey from being fans of the game to creating it. Stick around for a Q+A session with our guests!
- Multi-Player Events- The more players, the more fun! Multiplayer events will include Battlebond 2HG, Wizards Tower, Trios, and Grand Melee. These are great for parent & child teams!
- Constructed Events- Great prizes await at Standard, Modern, Legacy, and Vintage events.
- On-Demand Programming- Round-the-clock Magic including Core 2019 Drafts, Chaos Drafts, 2HG Drafts, Commander play, and TURBO TOWN events.
- Weekend-Long Surprises- The Wizards of the Coast team will have some surprises in store all-weekend, and gamers should keep on the lookout for giveaways on social media, around the convention center, and in Magic’s play areas.
About Gen Con LLC
Gen Con LLC produces the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, science fiction, and adventure game convention in North America, Gen Con, The Best Four Days in Gaming!™. Founded in 1968 and acquired in 2002 by founder and former CEO of Wizards of the Coast, Peter Adkison, the company is headquartered in Seattle and takes place each August in Indianapolis.
About Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast brings people together through their shared love of games. Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, and other Wizards games are enjoyed by friends around the world, both at gaming tables and on digital platforms. We bring together world-class creators in game design, worldbuilding, fantasy art, and interactive events to create unforgettable moments. Wizards of the Coast is a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS). For more information, visit www.wizards.com.
Media Contact for Gen Con LLC
Stacia Kirby, (206) 363-1492, firstname.lastname@example.org