What's in, and what is, your bag 2023 edition
Posted by hahnarama

Ya that's right I started this one super early this year. :)

Posted by helenbb

Items that go in and out of the bag:

Dice & dice tray
GM screen and notes (if I am GMing)
Pens/pencils
Cans of Coke Zero
True Dungeon tokens
iPad, battery pack, charging cord
Snacks
Camera

Plus my bag is always stocked (never leaves the bag except to replenish) with:

Hard candies/gum
Cash (small bills) for exhibit hall
Bandaids
Sunscreen packets
Sharpie
Kleenex
Claritin/Ibuprofin
Hand wipes

Posted by quarex

At this point all the bags I bring are Gen-Con branded, which is definitely not something I imagined ever being possible even like 5 years ago when it was still exciting even having the swag bag canvas bags from ~2012-2014.  So all messenger bags, backpacks, and canvas bags.  I will probably use my 2016 olive green Gen-Con messenger bag for the one I carry in with me, though every year I get closer to deciding not to bring a bag to the convention center at all and just live with the consequences in exchange for feeling FREE AS A BIRD

I am probably going to experiment with this strategy at Origins this year, and yes if I wanted to buy something from a seller without bags of its own I would immediately regret this decision but that is why I am also thinking about experimenting with pocketed mesh vests! 

All I tend to reliably bring in my bag these days: snacks, a can of V8, a bag of dice, pens, pencils, Sharpies for dark and light surfaces, and a phone battery bank. 

Posted by brumcg

My bag is a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding.  It's a smallish messenger bag.

I'll probably only use it on Thursday.  It will hold a bottle of water, a 5-hour Energy, a protein bar, maybe a notebook, and as little else is possible.

I'm old.  My shoulders aren't great, so carrying around stuff isn't ideal.  After some point on Thursday, I'll stop taking a bag for the rest of the con.  If I make purchases (and I will), I'll rely on their bags and quick trips to a room.

Posted by hahnarama quarex

quarex wrote:
.... every year I get closer to deciding not to bring a bag to the convention center at all and just live with the consequences in exchange for feeling FREE AS A BIRD

For the 2nd year in a row I am going bagless, well I will still have my "Cable Utility Belt" aka Mountainsmith Vibe. It holds my ultra slimed down First Aid kit, charger & cord, pen & pencil, a few sheets of folded paper, dice, and my 2 Snicker bars.

That's it. I survived all 4 days last year with just that. If there was a down side it was that I had to carry my 1 liter water bottle during the day. 

Posted by tdb quarex

quarex wrote:
... I am also thinking about experimenting with pocketed mesh vests! ...

I used to fish wearing a mesh fishing vest, and it was really hot.  Turns out when you fill the pockets with stuff they don't breathe anymore.  And the mesh didn't breathe that well to begin with.  Just my two coppers.

Posted by tdb

I'm toying with getting a new pack, I've been carrying a North Face pack for about 20 years, and its only flaw is that the water bottle pockets aren't very secure, so I have to use carabiners to secure my coffee mug and refillable water bottle.

Besides the drinks, I typically carry:
Pens, pencils, and dry-erase markers (no sharpies near the battle mat!)
Dice
Pad of paper
Pad of post-it notes
Charging bank and cord
Small first aid kit with bandaids, tylenol, antacids, and immodium.
Dental floss
breath mints or gum
tissues
hand sanitizer
a few cough drops
some snacks
electrolyte tablets
a hoodie for chilly conference rooms
A folded up tote bag for bulky purchases

If I'm GM'ing, add the adventure, maps, handouts, screen, pregens, some cardboard minis, and a folding battle mat.

Posted by lanogironu

Also use a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding. Switch shoulders regularly and keep it mostly oriented to the front when in vendor hall to avoid smacking people. This year I'm likely to be staying a few minutes away so I'll pack heavier planning to stay at the Con basically all day.

• Hand Sanitizer
  • Extra Masks (I'll still wear one, no con crud has been great for me)
  • Breath mints / lozenges because talking a lot
  • Body spray 
  • Snacks (I like kind bars and sausage/cheeks packs that sit flat and don't take up space) 
  • Multiple pens and pencils
  • Pad of paper 
  • A condensable bag within it I never actually use 
  • 1-2 Magic Commander decks 
  • 1-2 Magic small boxes with sleeves for drafting
  • Phone charging block and cable
  • Water bottle adders like Mio or these little b12 powders I found 
  • Sometimes an extra shirt if I can make it

Posted by mpagnotta310

I'll have my Swiss Gear backpack with the following:

-Two playmats
-M:tG Commander decks
-Final Fantasy TCG decks
-Trade binder
-Water bottle
-Wild Bill's soda mug (gonna get the all-you-can-drink again)
-Masks (Same as above poster, to avoid con crud)

Posted by armadilloal

Just a simple sling bag that goes over the shoulder for me.  Usually carrying the following:

* 24oz water bottle (used to be 32ox, but 24 is the biggest the bag can carry)
* Flavoring packets for said water
* Beef jerky bites and fruit snacks
* Earbuds
* Spare phone charger
* Contact cards
* Cash (I have a strict no-card policy in the convention center)
* Empty deckbox (to carry any Magic cards I buy or promo cards I get)
* Eyedrops, ibuprofen, deodorant, hand sanitizer, hand lotion
* 3-4 masks

And if I've got a True Dungeon run, I'll have a CritSuccess ring and anywhere between 50-100 tokens on me (which is up to 3 pounds' worth of weight if my math is correct).

Posted by conspiracyofgamers armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
Just a simple sling bag that goes over the shoulder for me.  Usually carrying the following:
* 24oz water bottle (used to be 32ox, but 24 is the biggest the bag can carry)
* Beef jerky bites and fruit snacks
* Earbuds
* Spare phone charger
* Contact cards
* Cash (I have a strict no-card policy in the convention center)
* Empty deckbox (to carry any Magic cards I buy or promo cards I get)
* Eyedrops, ibuprofen, deodorant, hand sanitizer, hand lotion
* 3-4 masks
And if I've got a True Dungeon run, I'll have a CritSuccess ring and anywhere between 50-100 tokens on me (which is up to 3 pounds' worth of weight if my math is correct).

This is close to what I've got on hand, minus the cash and TD stuff.  I haven't thought about an empty deckbox, which is silly, because I *always* come across single cards that I need to keep safe.  Definitely adding that one in this year!

Posted by hahnarama mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
-Two playmats
-Final Fantasy TCG commander decks
-Trade binder
-Water bottle

Question are you in MtG Tournys all 4 days or do you carry the decks "just in case" ?

Posted by hahnarama armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
* Earbuds

Flavor packs? Whats wrong with natural water?
Eat buds? like foam hearing protection or Apple earbuds?
I don't wanna know about the only ca$h 

Posted by mpagnotta310 hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
mpagnotta310 wrote:
-Two playmats
-Final Fantasy TCG commander decks
-Trade binder
-Water bottle

Question are you in MtG Tournys all 4 days or do you carry the decks "just in case" ?

Most of the M:tG I play is draft pods. The Commander decks are "just in case". I'm a more casual Commander player who likes playing politics, letting the players develop their boards, and doing cool stuff.

Posted by forar

After retiring my previous Bag of Holding and dabbling in alternatives, I managed to acquire another one off a Redditor over the holidays, which is kind of funny with the Kickstarter coming up soon, though I assume it'll have a lengthy production and fulfillment time, so I'm not going to pass up an opportunity to customize and kit out an upgraded one.

Items in that bag?
- Iron Flask tumbler for coffee, water, other drinks, etc.
- Power pack and charging cables.
- Dice pouch. Even though I don't play in many RPGs at the con, I always carry a standard set with me, just in case.
- Basic first aid kit, just in case.

Then, as required: Magic Decks, True Dungeon Tokens, work gloves, change of clothes (I'm on a booth set up and tear down crew, along with running Demos throughout the con).

Posted by armadilloal hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Flavor packs? Whats wrong with natural water?
Eat buds? like foam hearing protection or Apple earbuds?
I don't wanna know about the only ca$h 

* Tried it for a couple years, but I just drink way less when it's natural water, and a $3 Mio packet from Meijer is way cheaper (and better) than buying soft drinks every day.

* Not Apple, but yeah, bluetooth ear buds so I can listen to music when I'm eating alone.  Been a couple years since I used them, though, so I'd probably leave them at home if their size wasn't negligible.

* It's way easier to track how much you've spent when you can physically see it, as well as makes it physically impossible to overspend your budget.  I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep this one going, though, as booths are becoming increasingly disinterested in accepting money.

Posted by mvotruba

I'll be bringing my usual backpack (no special brand). 

In it I'll likely have:

Water bottle
Dice and pencils in a small hard case...maybe a mini or two.
Cough drops/hard candy/gum
Foldable shopping bag
Wipes/sanitizer

That's it.  I've found that anything else I don't end up using.  I tried a messenger bag one year, but didn't like it in the crowded areas.  For the games I play, I do without the rulebook and just wing it at the table.  I also used to bring snack bars, but they've just ended up on the bottom of the backpack, bent and crumbled.

I didn't list phone, badge, or wallet as I don't keep those in the bag; those items are on my person.

I always enjoy seeing this thread. It gives me ideas for items that may be handy but that I don't think about.  Thanks to those that have posted and will post your lists.

Posted by hahnarama

I'm curious do any of you WEIGH how much your bag and all of its contents? 

In a previous life I did a LOT of backpacking and let me tell you shaving off even half a pound made a huge difference at the end of the day. 

I'm seeing some of these lists, not judging, and thinking my back would be killing me by 6 PM

Posted by quarex

Yeah I either carry no bag at all as I mentioned or, and this is totally cheating, bring my bag to the Auction room and use that as a forward operating base for assaults on the Exhibit Hall (I am a volunteer and we have a place for our stuff, not saying I just leave it at bag check or on a chair or something).  Because yeah, carrying too much is basically the only negative I have repeatedly experienced over the years during the convention 

Posted by ambrosebalin

• Pen and Paper
  • Sanitizer Wipes
  • 2x Espresso Shot Cans per day
  • 2x Nut Butter packets per day
  • Granola Bars
  • Mints
  • Water Bottle
  • Extra socks/t-shirt
  • Generics
  • Power Supply/cords
  • Love Letter