Hotel lottery?
Posted by squirecam

If you want to avoid the lotto you can book downtown on the Hilton site right now. Prices are high which is why I am on their rewards program and those rates are reasonable. 

Posted by austicke del_grande

del_grande wrote:Usually, there's a poll, here and/or on Facebook, on the day before the portal opens where people put down what time they got, so we can gauge how spread out the times are.

Guilty as charged.

Posted by lore seeker squirecam

squirecam wrote:
If you want to avoid the lotto you can book downtown on the Hilton site right now. Prices are high which is why I am on their rewards program and those rates are reasonable. 

I just checked with my account and the downtown prices were $489/night at the lowest.

Posted by quarex

Yeah I have been a Diamond member since the pandemic started thanks to them perpetually rolling over your previous year's status and every hotel was absolutely insanely priced since I first started checking in September.  Well, I remember the Hampton Inn a few blocks away was "only" like $250 at one point but it is just ridiculous compared to being able to get the Embassy Suites for $275 out of block only like five years ago

Posted by squirecam quarex

quarex wrote:
Yeah I have been a Diamond member since the pandemic started thanks to them perpetually rolling over your previous year's status and every hotel was absolutely insanely priced since I first started checking in September.  Well, I remember the Hampton Inn a few blocks away was "only" like $250 at one point but it is just ridiculous compared to being able to get the Embassy Suites for $275 out of block only like five years ago
Right. But using the reward points is actually closer to normal value.

Posted by quarex

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about how you can get rooms otherwise unavailable if you are a high enough rewards member.  Good point, I never end up holding on to my points long enough to even consider that as an option, haha.

Posted by squirecam quarex

quarex wrote:
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about how you can get rooms otherwise unavailable if you are a high enough rewards member.  Good point, I never end up holding on to my points long enough to even consider that as an option, haha.
Yeah the diamond perk is nice but the rooms are still expensive without using the reward points, which anyone can sign up for. 

Posted by mscaveney

Does anybody have any idea of what the rough breakdown is in terms what what sort of room type is more in demand, ie suites and multi-den rooms versus single bed, etc

Posted by austicke mscaveney

mscaveney wrote:Does anybody have any idea of what the rough breakdown is in terms what what sort of room type is more in demand, ie suites and multi-den rooms versus single bed, etc

You got it. Connected downtown specialty rooms (like suites and train cars) go first. Then connected doubles. Then all downtown doubles and some connected singles. And then all downtown rooms.

Posted by xduderx

when do we find out our assigned time? im sorry if its been stated, but i cant find that information.

Posted by traveller xduderx

xduderx wrote:
when do we find out our assigned time? im sorry if its been stated, but i cant find that information.

If I remember correctly, the email with your time comes out on Saturday night  prior to the Sunday opening of the queue.

Posted by austicke xduderx

xduderx wrote:when do we find out our assigned time?

Just after midnight early Saturday.

Posted by mscaveney austicke

austicke wrote:
mscaveney wrote:Does anybody have any idea of what the rough breakdown is in terms what what sort of room type is more in demand, ie suites and multi-den rooms versus single bed, etc

You got it. Connected downtown specialty rooms (like suites and train cars) go first. Then connected doubles. Then all downtown doubles and some connected singles. And then all downtown rooms.
Thanks for confirming, fingers crossed that needing only a single will help me out some if I don't get a favorable lottery slot.

Posted by wells

My problem is that I want Wed-Sun, that block is often not available (not sure why). So I have to take what I can get, then request an extension. The issue has never been explained. It's usually Wednesday that is not available.

Posted by quarex

What confuses me is why any dates are not available, really, especially when it seems a mere formality for them to be added.  I tried to get Monday-Monday, and it would only let me do Tuesday-Monday, and then I requested to be on the "waitlist" for the first Monday, and like the next day I got the message my request was granted.  Was that really a waitlist? 

Posted by wells

I just got my time:
Sunday, February 12 at 2:19 PM Eastern
If it's like last year, when all connecting was sold out around 1, this is a disaster.

Posted by austicke

Facebook poll

Posted by wells

It looks like over half are before 2, so 2:19 is dead in the water for a connected room.

Posted by gencondadio

12:16, Happy Dance!

Posted by lore seeker

3:17 for me. Got 12:02 last year; had a feeling I wouldn't get that lucky two years in a row.

I don't care about a connected room, I just want a downtown one within walking distance.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5