Booked for 2018
Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
Woah woah woah.  I thought the standard practice on housing was to wait until the last week of July, then scramble to find a downtown hotel with a pool and lawn chairs you could sleep on.
I wish everyone would plan this way. That would leave us with a much-improved hotel room selection!

Normal
Small
Posted by dkliedk

So how did y'all book those rooms so early? Did they allow booking a year in advance at Gen con? Or when did that open up?

ive called everywhere and they keep sayin 550-650 a night now... is there any places left with a decent price per night that is close? 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

Some hotel sites book a year in advance. Gencon is earlier in August next year. So some hotels allowed bookings.

Normal
Small
Posted by jbship628

Most of the downtown hotels I can get to show up are at rates that are basically double what they are in the block.  Even if I didn't get anything in the "Rooming Rumble" (It's much more a battle royale and less a lottery) I don't think I'd pay my share of a 2000 hotel room for the week.  My budget has gotten bigger in the past few years, but not much, so I'm still a pretty solid value con-goer, so unless I'm cramming 10 people into that suite, I think I'll just wait and try the Rooming Rumble.  (Besides, with probably about 10 of us going, we usually get at least one or two people that get spots early enough to book downtown)

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam jbship628

jbship628 wrote:
Most of the downtown hotels I can get to show up are at rates that are basically double what they are in the block.  Even if I didn't get anything in the "Rooming Rumble" (It's much more a battle royale and less a lottery) I don't think I'd pay my share of a 2000 hotel room for the week.  My budget has gotten bigger in the past few years, but not much, so I'm still a pretty solid value con-goer, so unless I'm cramming 10 people into that suite, I think I'll just wait and try the Rooming Rumble.  (Besides, with probably about 10 of us going, we usually get at least one or two people that get spots early enough to book downtown)
I wish there was a way to switch so that people stuck outside downtown last year get first dibs this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

If you want to make sure there's no chance they cancel your room? Do like I do, and pay up front. 
DONE. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust irontk

khadorstrong wrote:
If you want to make sure there's no chance they cancel your room? Do like I do, and pay up front. 
DONE. 

Not so simple for some people. If it turns out they can't go, and if they can't cancel either, that's over $1,000 down the drain for them (if it's a downtown room).

Normal
Small
Posted by dotificus

If you're thinking about reserving a "free cancellation" backup hotel room, do it ASAP. The airport hotels offering discounted rates via sites like Hotwire are booking fast! And whoa to the rates-- I reserved the last room at the Courtyard Marriott at the airport for the same rate I paid to get a "blind" downtown hotel this year (which turned out to be the Alexander.) 

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 dotificus

dotificus wrote:
If you're thinking about reserving a "free cancellation" backup hotel room, do it ASAP. The airport hotels offering discounted rates via sites like Hotwire are booking fast! And whoa to the rates-- I reserved the last room at the Courtyard Marriott at the airport for the same rate I paid to get a "blind" downtown hotel this year (which turned out to be the Alexander.) 

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do the same 4 days before Gen Con - the ring hotels don't all sell out - unless you have a preferred property.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
khadorstrong wrote:
DONE. 

Not so simple for some people. If it turns out they can't go, and if they can't cancel either, that's over $1,000 down the drain for them (if it's a downtown room).

I'm not sure I understand your point? 
All I said is "If you want to make sure there's no chance they cancel your room, pay up front" 
AND you responded "If it turns out they can't go" 
WELL I'm guessing that person isn't in a situation where they want to MAKE SURE they don't cancel their room on them. 

Normal
Small
Posted by sfountain8

Hello All,

My friends and I are planning to go to GenCon 2018, and from what I'm searching, it looks like all of the close hotels are already completely booked up?!?!

Do you recommend getting a hotel farther away and using an Uber? 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke sfountain8

sfountain8 wrote:it looks like all of the close hotels are already completely booked up?!?!

Nah, many hotels haven't even opened reservations for next August yet. And many more are holding rooms for Gen Con's housing lottery, which won't open until next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 sfountain8

sfountain8 wrote:
Hello All,
My friends and I are planning to go to GenCon 2018, and from what I'm searching, it looks like all of the close hotels are already completely booked up?!?!
Do you recommend getting a hotel farther away and using an Uber? 

Most of the hotel rooms within a few blocks of the convention have been reserved by Gen Con. There will be a lottery for these rooms in January or February. The remaining rooms mostly haven't been opened for reservations yet.

When they do they will be subject to market forces. Which means some will cost $600/night, some will be booked with hotel loyalty points, etc. And there are occasionally good deals like the one that started this thread.
I definitely recommend getting a hotel farther away. Outside of easy walking distance, there is ample supply and much less demand.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

If anyone's interested, I just saw an offered room at the Holiday Inn Express right next to Lucas Oil Stadium on Trivago (if you click on it, it'll take you to Expedia). I selected a check-in day of July 31st and a check-out day of August 6th, and it came up as $121/night (NON-REFUNDABLE) or $150/night (refundable).

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
If anyone's interested, I just saw an offered room at the Holiday Inn Express right next to Lucas Oil Stadium on Trivago (if you click on it, it'll take you to Expedia). I selected a check-in day of July 31st and a check-out day of August 6th, and it came up as $121/night (NON-REFUNDABLE) or $150/night (refundable).

Yeah I booked a suite for $180 a night refundable. We stayed at the omni last year in a Plaza suite and it was great(we were originally 12 miles out but I stalked the housing portal for cancellations). Definitely hoping we get lucky in the housing lottery next and are able to book the same room but regardless, with this we are guaranteed to say downtown. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
Yeah I booked a suite for $180 a night refundable. We stayed at the omni last year in a Plaza suite and it was great(we were originally 12 miles out but I stalked the housing portal for cancellations). Definitely hoping we get lucky in the housing lottery next and are able to book the same room but regardless, with this we are guaranteed to say downtown. 

Yep. Always nice to have insurance, 'cause the housing lottery is a cold, uncaring force of nature.

Still, I hope I find a cheaper room in the block (I've got a Conrad room right now, and I booked BEFORE the prices shot sky-high, but it's still a damn expensive stay).

Normal
Small
Posted by loon

I just booked at the crowne plaza (TRAIN HOTEL!), but man was it ever expensive. I'm hoping to find something better between now and then. 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:

Having booked upon seeing this yesterday, 150 for a king bed wasn't bad...that's about what my wife an I have paid through the block at an airport hotel...at least this is just a 10-15 walk...

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

Having booked upon seeing this yesterday, 150 for a king bed wasn't bad...that's about what my wife an I have paid through the block at an airport hotel...at least this is just a 10-15 walk...

This is one block from the convention center. Not a 10-15 minute walk. 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

This is one block from the convention center. Not a 10-15 minute walk. 

I know, but for certain event areas after horfing through the crowds...

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 2 4