I REALLY WANT THIS--badge codes as gift!!! ( Locked)
Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg gharris

gharris wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:Think about it.Pounding the refresh button for free.
Vs paying $10 per attempt with no guarantee to get a decent number.
Which one discourages cheats more?

Making people pound the refresh key.Think about it. Only people who want to be in the lottery are in it, weeding out the casuals, people who can't even reserve a room on their own, and people who would otherwise only take a room because it was handed to them...and each person only gets one chance.
By contrast, paying $10 an attempt ENCOURAGES cheating. Remember that about 20% of the people in the housing lottery this year actually got something. Buying 10 badges = nearly guaranteed room, and the $90 you will lose returning 9 badges will be more than made up for by the hundreds of dollars you will save getting a room in the housing block.
The current system absolutely encourages more cheating.

I don't care if someone wants to pay $10 for a second chance at another lottery number. Out of 60 thousand bidding for a limited slots in the housing pool, not a massive increase in winning.

Plus if you are willing to pay more because you feel you "Must" have a DT room, then go for the VIP badge.

One of the perks is early access to housing.

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
I don't care if someone wants to pay $10 for a second chance at another lottery number. Out of 60 thousand bidding for a limited slots in the housing pool, not a massive increase in winning.
Plus if you are willing to pay more because you feel you "Must" have a DT room, then go for the VIP badge.
One of the perks is early access to housing.

IF you can get a VIP badge. Good luck with that.

As has already been pointed out, we aren't talking about a second chance, we are talking about third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth chances that have a high success rate and easily pay for themselves.

Remember we saw about a 20% success rate this year. Buying ten chances nearly guarantees success. That is just plain math. We aren't talking about an insignificant edge for exploiting the system.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

Does EVERY forum thread turn into a debate on the housing lottery (before it inevitably gets locked)?

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
Does EVERY forum thread turn into a debate on the housing lottery (before it inevitably gets locked)?

No, but the root cause of many discussions on the forums is problems with housing. I suspect, in many discussions, that some people don't want to actually address underlying issues in a civil manner so they just overreact, start with personal attacks, or just get belligerent until a thread gets locked. That may even be the goal, after all if you get the thread locked you don't have to talk about it anymore and you "win", right?

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Well this thread really is supposed to not be about housing at all. I do agree with some of the issues brought up for buying a badge but I STILL REALLY WANT a way to 'gift' system credit.

Christmas is still possible! Pleeeeaaaasssseeee?

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

However. I don't get where the old system only gave you one chance because it most certainly did not.

It was the same as now. Buy an extra badge get an extra chance. So each daughter plus myself would be banging on keyboards. Just like how now we each get an entry. If I wanted ten chances...get ten friends to bang on keyboards. Pay em each the ten bucks and there we go. 

Now can we please get back to system credit?

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:

"As a conversation on the GenCon forums about problems at GenCon (real or perceived) grows longer, the probability of it leading back to the housing lottery approaches one."

Now all we need is a name (like "Godwin's Law," which the rule above is based on).

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:

"As a conversation on the GenCon forums about problems at GenCon (real or perceived) grows longer, the probability of it leading back to the housing lottery approaches one."Now all we need is a name (like "Godwin's Law," which the rule above is based on).

Bloodlust's Law

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust it can be fun to run away

it can be fun to run away wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:

"As a conversation on the GenCon forums about problems at GenCon (real or perceived) grows longer, the probability of it leading back to the housing lottery approaches one."Now all we need is a name (like "Godwin's Law," which the rule above is based on).

Bloodlust's Law

Eh, Raid was the one who pointed it out, so I say give him credit if anybody.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

After reading several of the above post, I have a question about the housing lottery: How much are people paying for the rooms in the housing block? Is there an advantage to getting into the lottery that I don't know about?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:How much are people paying for the rooms in the housing block? Is there an advantage to getting into the lottery that I don't know about?

Yes, in block rooms are typically less expensive. You can see last year's prices here.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked braewe

braewe wrote:
Well this thread really is supposed to not be about housing at all. I do agree with some of the issues brought up for buying a badge but I STILL REALLY WANT a way to 'gift' system credit.
Christmas is still possible! Pleeeeaaaasssseeee?
sorry Braewe looks like no one knows how to start a new topic/thread:( .  But for what it’s worth I like your suggestions on buying badges as gifts

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
After reading several of the above post, I have a question about the housing lottery: How much are people paying for the rooms in the housing block? Is there an advantage to getting into the lottery that I don't know about?
Out of housing block DT rooms typically go for around $500-$600 a night. In a few rare cases I've seen far higher being possible.

In housing DT rooms tend to go for about half that.

The outer rim hotel rooms tend to knock anywhere from $50-$100 off a night. Depending on where and how nice.

Normal
Small

Sometimes when my wife and I see someone who's visibly cranky or angry in public while we're out together, one of us will invariably comment, "Guess they didn't get a downtown hotel room at Gen Con."

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
The other reason lots want the rooms in the housing block is that to be reimbursed for running games, if you qualify for it, the room MUST be in the housing block, and since, obviously, those who run enough to qualify run a LOT (32 hours worth usually) they reasonably want want want to be CLOSE.

But combining the price value with alllll the people who want want want to be close(not just handicapped, but those with mobility issues, parents with children, gamers with heavy things to tote, groups who have lots of people to coordinate rides for, heck, just regular folks who managed to stay downtown once and then 'saw the light' so to speak on just how much more fun it is to stay downtown.

I myself have contributed to this. :( Last year I insisted on being readyready sunday to try to get in, and a friend who had always stayed out was like, why bother? Only he got a reasonably low number so said, well, why not try. (GHarris would be yelling at me right now, because no way would he have, last year, been sitting there sunday pounding the keyboard). Anyway, he got the Hyatt. Loved it. Center of everything. His room base of operations.

THIS YEAR, he is already lined up and ready. He is one of the pack of us now. Backup room downtown reserved. All ready to see where he is in the lottery. THIS YEAR, should it have required keyboard pounding, he would be there. Last year he also participated in the event reg madness. He made up for low housing by getting a high event number but got most of what he wanted, so this year he'll be right there with us again. Probably won't be long until he's a forumite, at this rate. :)

HE in fact, is who I want to get the system credit for!

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Way off the topic. Let's get back on it please.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by jack100

[This post has been removed]

Normal
Small
Posted by gharris braewe

braewe wrote:
However. I don't get where the old system only gave you one chance because it most certainly did not.
It was the same as now. Buy an extra badge get an extra chance. So each daughter plus myself would be banging on keyboards. Just like how now we each get an entry. If I wanted ten chances...get ten friends to bang on keyboards. Pay em each the ten bucks and there we go. 

Ah....you must not have used the old system where you didn't get a spot in the housing lottery unless you clicked on the submit button on housing day as soon as it went live. ONLY people who did that were considered for housing, it was roughly first come first served (roughly), and due to the lag and timing involved the number of badges one person bought was irrelevant as it was very difficult if not impossible to log in multiple times as soon as you could click the submit button. 

Sure, you could get your daughters and ten friends to bang on keyboards when housing went live but for all practical purposes each was only going to get one spot in the housing queue- and to get that spot was still hit or miss and took a while, it wasn't a sure thing. This weeded out a LOT of people who didn't really want or need a room and made sure that it was one person, one chance.

By contrast, what they are doing now is giving 1 room chance per badge and telling you ahead of time if you should even bother logging in. This means that you, your daughters, and ten friends can each buy multiple badges and have exponentially more chances to win, and never even have to bang on a keyboard unless you actually know you are a winner. Indeed, you may actually win multiple times, all because the system is set up for this sort of abuse.

On top of that, keep in mind that between 2010 and 2015 Gen Con heavily expanded and promoted non-gaming events (non-gaming as defined by Gen Con itself, just to avoid another round of "God Emperor" nonsense). The side effect of this was the convention was flooded with more attendees coming for these events, doubling the size of the convention and heavily straining an existing housing problem even further right about the time that Gen Con implemented the current "Every badge gets a housing number!" approach. The side effect of this bloat was that Gen Con's core target audience started having severe problems with finding housing and price gouging- not cool. Note that this includes people actually running or helping with games that are hoping to be reimbursed- or who don't want to lug props and materials for a game they are running on to a taxi or uber, let alone around the convention center.

So we now have a system where attendees have a huge incentive to try to cheat the system and are rewarded for doing so. Unfortunately, adding in an ability to pass around badge codes with housing access attached actually encourages more cheating. This may not be the answer you want, and it may be annoying that it actually is tied into housing problems, but that is the actual answer. For what it is worth, I am not saying that you would personally be trying to do this to exploit the system.

That being said, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to buy an existing badge holder system credit.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 gharris

gharris wrote:
braewe wrote:

Ah....you must not have used the old system where you didn't get a spot in the housing lottery unless you clicked on the submit button on housing day as soon as it went live. ONLY people who did that were considered for housing, it was roughly first come first served (roughly), and due to the lag and timing involved the number of badges one person bought was irrelevant as it was very difficult if not impossible to log in multiple times as soon as you could click the submit button. Sure, you could get your daughters and ten friends to bang on keyboards when housing went live but for all practical purposes each was only going to get one spot in the housing queue- and to get that spot was still hit or miss and took a while, it wasn't a sure thing. This weeded out a LOT of people who didn't really want or need a room and made sure that it was one person, one chance.
By contrast, what they are doing now is giving 1 room chance per badge and telling you ahead of time if you should even bother logging in. This means that you, your daughters, and ten friends can each buy multiple badges and have exponentially more chances to win, and never even have to bang on a keyboard unless you actually know you are a winner. Indeed, you may actually win multiple times, all because the system is set up for this sort of abuse.
On top of that, keep in mind that between 2010 and 2015 Gen Con heavily expanded and promoted non-gaming events (non-gaming as defined by Gen Con itself, just to avoid another round of "God Emperor" nonsense). The side effect of this was the convention was flooded with more attendees coming for these events, doubling the size of the convention and heavily straining an existing housing problem even further right about the time that Gen Con implemented the current "Every badge gets a housing number!" approach. The side effect of this bloat was that Gen Con's core target audience started having severe problems with finding housing and price gouging- not cool. Note that this includes people actually running or helping with games that are hoping to be reimbursed- or who don't want to lug props and materials for a game they are running on to a taxi or uber, let alone around the convention center.
So we now have a system where attendees have a huge incentive to try to cheat the system and are rewarded for doing so. Unfortunately, adding in an ability to pass around badge codes with housing access attached actually encourages more cheating. This may not be the answer you want, and it may be annoying that it actually is tied into housing problems, but that is the actual answer. For what it is worth, I am not saying that you would personally be trying to do this to exploit the system.
That being said, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to buy an existing badge holder system credit.

TL;DR - Not Gen Con, nor the exhibitors, not the event organizers, nor even the attendees themselves will decide what gaming is and who should attend Gen Con. 

The God Emperor Gharris alone will wisely decide what gaming is, and will in turn inform us all of who shall attend. 

Under gharris' benevolent rule we shall finally receive the blessing of decreased attendance, and lo as it is was prophesied gharris will snag a downtown room (which they deserve more than you, because of their superior skill at clicking on a webpage at exactly 9 AM Eastern).

Normal
Small

And this thread gets locked in 3, 2, 1...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.