Advice for potential new attendee
Normal
Small
Posted by revx

Hi Everyone!

I'd thought I'd write in for some advice. I am hoping / intending to fly over for GenCon next year - and wanted to know if what would be more worthwhile. Volunteer DM and get a day pass or a VIG pass (if i could score one..) or both?

I am flying in from Asia and really want to make the trip count :)

Thanks and Best

Pet "Rev"

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

I'm not too familiar with the volunteer GMs, but I believe they need to run a certain number of hours in events to qualify (something like 32, I want to say, but don't quote me on that). So if you do that (and if I'm right about this), you'll probably be spending most of your con time running things.

VIG passes, from what I remember, 1) are ridiculously expensive (hundreds of American dollars) and 2) sell out very fast.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

For companies, It's usually 4 four hour events, or 16 hours, to score a 4day badge. I've never seen a gm badge for less than 4 days.

For individuals, who are NOT in a group, you get reimbursed /after/ the show--you purchase your own badge.

For individuals who /are/ in a group, the group is allotted so many badges per events submitted and they can dole them out as they see fit, as far as I'm aware. So if say, some crazy person wants to run enough events for two people, and one person only runs one event, they can both still be assigned badges. Yes, you can be a group with only two people. You for sure want to read up on the gm policy page and such. 

Individuals and groups can, if they run enough hours, be reimbursed for hotel if said hotel is in block and if said individuals names are on the bill. Must be submitted by a certain date after the con.

If you're running for the company they have their own requirements for hotel--Catalyst requires 32 hours for a share in a hotel room, and I believe that's the norm.

If you think 32 hours is most of your con, you're right--I've done it. So if you LIKE gm'ing and you want to guarantee you get to play what you want, go for it! You can usually even stipulate when. For instance, I gave my days to Catalyst(8-6 thu, 10-6 fri, 10-6 sat, 10-4 sunday) but got each evening to spend how I wanted. However, as I get older, I'm discovering that's just /slightly/ too much gaming for me, and chances are in 2018 I'll just do the 16 hours for a badge. Maybe. Maybe I'll take a year off! (Who am I kidding, I've gm'd Shadowrun now for like 8 years for them.) But you never know. It does guarantee me my fill, since we have zero groups in the home area who play.

Anyway enough personal stuff...there are some really good short guides on running events, with or without a group, and LOTS of people on here who can help point you in the right direction, if you want to help an already existing group, join a company's volunteers, or strike out on your own.

I don't think VIG passes even get tossed up for sale to the general public anymore--if you want to put your name in the hat for one, send in your information now and cross your fingers.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

NEW VIG badges are assigned via lottery: 

For the 2018 show please send your Gen Con ID number and the email associated with that account in late November or early December 2017 to vig@gencon.com and we will enter you into the random selection process.You must have a Gen Con account to enter. 
We will be conducting the random selection in January. 
You will be contacted if you are selected with further instructions at that time. 
Separate accounts must send their information via their account only. We will not accept multiple accounts sent via a single email. 

Information on last years VIG program can be found here: 
http://www.gencon.com/attend/vigMike Boozer  
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC

and they are accepting lottery entries now.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by revx

Thank you very much everyone!

Guess who is sending in my GenCon ID number now :)

Thank you again!

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman braewe

braewe wrote:
For companies, It's usually 4 four hour events, or 16 hours, to score a 4day badge. I've never seen a gm badge for less than 4 days.
For individuals, who are NOT in a group, you get reimbursed /after/ the show--you purchase your own badge.
For individuals who /are/ in a group, the group is allotted so many badges per events submitted and they can dole them out as they see fit, as far as I'm aware. So if say, some crazy person wants to run enough events for two people, and one person only runs one event, they can both still be assigned badges. Yes, you can be a group with only two people. You for sure want to read up on the gm policy page and such. 
Individuals and groups can, if they run enough hours, be reimbursed for hotel if said hotel is in block and if said individuals names are on the bill. Must be submitted by a certain date after the con.
If you're running for the company they have their own requirements for hotel--Catalyst requires 32 hours for a share in a hotel room, and I believe that's the norm.
If you think 32 hours is most of your con, you're right--I've done it. So if you LIKE gm'ing and you want to guarantee you get to play what you want, go for it! You can usually even stipulate when. For instance, I gave my days to Catalyst(8-6 thu, 10-6 fri, 10-6 sat, 10-4 sunday) but got each evening to spend how I wanted. However, as I get older, I'm discovering that's just /slightly/ too much gaming for me, and chances are in 2018 I'll just do the 16 hours for a badge. Maybe. Maybe I'll take a year off! (Who am I kidding, I've gm'd Shadowrun now for like 8 years for them.) But you never know. It does guarantee me my fill, since we have zero groups in the home area who play.
Anyway enough personal stuff...there are some really good short guides on running events, with or without a group, and LOTS of people on here who can help point you in the right direction, if you want to help an already existing group, join a company's volunteers, or strike out on your own.
I don't think VIG passes even get tossed up for sale to the general public anymore--if you want to put your name in the hat for one, send in your information now and cross your fingers.

Take the year off!  Open up your schedule to play Nascrag again!

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Just personal opinion, unless you just really love DM'ing, the badges are only like $90. 

Normal
Small
Posted by revx lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
Just personal opinion, unless you just really love DM'ing, the badges are only like $90. 
i don't mind DMing - really.. been Dming almost exclusively and building the community back home..  

wanted to try to get some experience DMing outside the comforts of the region :) .. and experience a game outside home as well :) tts y the ask..

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Plus without gm's it would be a pretty social...not gaming...convention!

Normal
Small
Posted by rooandboo

Just my 2 cents - I would suggest just going and getting to do whatever you want without any constraints - even if you do choose to GM some events. For me personally I'd rather just pay the cost of the badge and have that flexibility. Gen Con is my favorite thing I do all year and the first time was really special. I just think you want to make sure you can do all the wandering and gaming you want. Hope you make it! 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Hey Braewe, fellow Catalyst GM (I'm on the other side of the fence though, in the minis).

Yes, 32 hours sounds like a lot, but honestly if you like the games you are playing, and would spend most of your time playing those games anyways, then it is a great way to save a TON of money. (And for those of us travelling from far away, reducing costs is a big thing)

Normal
Small
Posted by pandatheist

It's only 16 hours for most companies. 4 4-hour events. If you do the 8-noon shift you basically have the whole day for yourself after. I know Goodman is looking for GM's, as are Baldman, Pelgrane, and several others. Its not an insignificant amount of time, but if you don't mind GMing and you can handle sacrificing a little sleep its not a big deal. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.