Pricing question
Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

A friend of mine was asking of single day pricing from last year, and as I got a 4 day badge, I didn't pay attention to single day pricing. I can't seem to find the prices on the website since badges are not on sale at the moment. Could someone let me know what the pricing structure was last year? I understand there is a possibility that could increase this year. Thank you in advance. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

A 4-day badge was $90 last year. With admissions tax, that came to a total of $99.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Right... However my question was about single day pricing.. Thank you for your reply though.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust austicke

austicke wrote:

Good God-Emperor. Four-day's definitely the better deal if you're looking to attend for even TWO days, then.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager austicke

austicke wrote:

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg

Use to be you could buy 2 day badges for less. I understand their push for the 4 day, but sadly....

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

The pricing structure sucks.  I'm attending this year, but since I'm local, and I don't feel like using up any vacation time for this, I'm not attending all 4 days.  I'll definitely spend Saturday there, and likely go Friday evening after work.  MAYBE Thursday but probably not.  But even if I just did Friday and Saturday, it's still more than all 4 days.  So I might as well get that 4 day pass.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I think that's the point. They want to encourage people to come for more than just 1 or 2 days. They want people to enjoy the offerings all of the extended weekend.

Normal
Small
Posted by drrazr

The pricing does suck.  I think most people attend the amount of GenCon that they can.  If anything, the pricing just excludes attendees.  I would go everyday if it weren't for real life getting in the way.  I think most people would if they could afford the time to go.  People hustle and shuffle their schedules around to make as much time for GenCon as possible.  To say the pricing structure is for encouragement is a little off, I think.

I hate to say it, but I think that GC is starting to get into the realm of over-priced events.  I know that's hard to say with last year's numbers, but I've been every year since it has been in Indianapolis and I'm not sure I have seen the value increase as much as the price.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Newly released badge prices for 2018:

Attendee Guide - Badge Information
Badge Types and Pricing for Gen Con 2018

Badge TypePrice

4-Day$110

Thursday$60

Friday$60

Saturday$70

Sunday$15

Trade Day$200

VIG$600/Returning VIG's - $650/New VIG's

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity

HEY, GEN CON!

QUOTE:  “The Gen Con Customer Service team receives hundreds of questions a year about how to get a badge for Gen Con, and specifically regarding the differences between Pre-Registration and Registration."

Somehow I doubt that you received hundreds of requests for a 22% price increase this year.  You have every right to raise prices, especially if trying to dampen demand and prevent overcrowding, but please do not insult us by pretending it’s a benefit.

Signed,
An angry GenCon attendee for well over a decade, who never had the slightest problem understanding an early registration pricing system

Normal
Small

[This post has been removed]

Normal
Small
Posted by opus69

You think that's bad?  The Trade Day badges went from 130 to 200!!!!  At least retailers get early access for that; educators pay the same price and don't!

Normal
Small
Posted by njozwiak

Sounds like an excuse to drive up the prices after Gen Con has had a single sell-out year. They believe they will do it twice in a row. A small part thinks that could be the case, but I think it's more likely the attendance rates are going to drop drastically from last year. Not necessarily because of the badge price, but because of it not being a milestone event.

The discount for pre-registration was a big plus. I wonder if it'll effect how many people buy early now that there is no discount or real benefit to pre-registering early (housing aside, but if I remember correctly that's a random chance anyway no matter when you get your ticket)

Normal
Small

For the record, my mod-removed post merely expressed dismay (with a couple of choice curse words) at the sudden increase in price from $90 to $110 for a four-day badge. Not sure why it was removed - is cursing suddenly forbidden here?

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
... is cursing suddenly forbidden here?

Not "suddenly", but  yes, cursing is forbidden. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded roderick

roderick wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

Not "suddenly", but  yes, cursing is forbidden. Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

One could only imagine the posts that would exist in housing "discussions" if cursing WASN'T forbidden...

Normal
Small
Posted by loon roderick

roderick wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

Not "suddenly", but  yes, cursing is forbidden. Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

NOBODY wants -1 to hit...

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 njozwiak

njozwiak wrote:
Sounds like an excuse to drive up the prices after Gen Con has had a single sell-out year. They believe they will do it twice in a row. A small part thinks that could be the case, but I think it's more likely the attendance rates are going to drop drastically from last year. Not necessarily because of the badge price, but because of it not being a milestone event.
The discount for pre-registration was a big plus. I wonder if it'll effect how many people buy early now that there is no discount or real benefit to pre-registering early (housing aside, but if I remember correctly that's a random chance anyway no matter when you get your ticket)

I'll bet you a shiny dime all of these will occur for Gen Con 2018:

• Gen Con 2018 will sell out
  • 4 day badges will sell out while each of Th, F, Sa, and Sunday badges are still available (like Gen Con 50)
  • The first one day badges to sell out will be Thursday or Sunday (like Gen Con 50)
  • The sell out times of 4 day, and individual badges, will be further in advance of the show date than they were for Gen Con 50
  • The sell out will not lead to record setting unique attendance (like Gen Con 50)

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 4