Pricing question
Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
njozwiak wrote:
Sounds like an excuse to drive up the prices after Gen Con has had a single sell-out year. They believe they will do it twice in a row. A small part thinks that could be the case, but I think it's more likely the attendance rates are going to drop drastically from last year. Not necessarily because of the badge price, but because of it not being a milestone event.
The discount for pre-registration was a big plus. I wonder if it'll effect how many people buy early now that there is no discount or real benefit to pre-registering early (housing aside, but if I remember correctly that's a random chance anyway no matter when you get your ticket)

I'll bet you a shiny dime all of these will occur for Gen Con 2018:

• Gen Con 2018 will sell out
  • 4 day badges will sell out while each of Th, F, Sa, and Sunday badges are still available (like Gen Con 50)
  • The first one day badges to sell out will be Thursday or Sunday (like Gen Con 50)
  • The sell out times of 4 day, and individual badges, will be further in advance of the show date than they were for Gen Con 50
  • The sell out will not lead to record setting unique attendance (like Gen Con 50)

So basically, a lot of false hype again (which will doubtlessly be used as an excuse to drive up badge prices again for 2019)?

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
Good God-Emperor. Four-day's definitely the better deal if you're looking to attend for even TWO days, then.

That does seem like that's what they are trying to force things towards.  Make more people buy 4 day badges, than just come the day (or two) they can and get a one day badge for that specific day..
helenbb wrote:
I think that's the point. They want to encourage people to come for more than just 1 or 2 days. They want people to enjoy the offerings all of the extended weekend.

That's the thing.  To me this is NOT "encouraging you", its more telling you "OI COME HERE for all 4 days, or get borked over with the cost!.."
drrazr wrote:I hate to say it, but I think that GC is starting to get into the realm of over-priced events.  I know that's hard to say with last year's numbers, but I've been every year since it has been in Indianapolis and I'm not sure I have seen the value increase as much as the price.

I've already mentioned in a few other threats over the past 2 years, that the prices are getting so high, its starting to feel like it's not worth it.. 
brooks wrote:
Newly released badge prices for 2018:
Sunday$15
Trade Day$200

Now that's a LOT better for Sunday (which is really only from around 8am to 4pm), but why are trade days costing so much?

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

I can honestly say that my family looks forward to going every year.  This year will be the 3rd year in a row for my kids, who have always needed a badge due to participating in events.  That being said, if this price increase trend continues, they will price us right out of coming.  As it is, I work about 150 -200 hours to create events that my wife and I run to offset the cost of the badges, so hopefully they won't change the event hosting policy, as I have to run events 2 nights of the con to do this.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke kidlidar

kidlidar wrote:That being said, if this price increase trend continues, they will price us right out of coming.  As it is, I work about 150 -200 hours to create events that my wife and I run to offset the cost of the badges, so hopefully they won't change the event hosting policy, as I have to run events 2 nights of the con to do this.

The Event Host Policy for 2018 has already been published.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal kidlidar

kidlidar wrote:
I can honestly say that my family looks forward to going every year.  This year will be the 3rd year in a row for my kids, who have always needed a badge due to participating in events.  That being said, if this price increase trend continues, they will price us right out of coming. 

I am starting to look at Gencon that way myself..

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

The price increases for 2018 are shameless.  Moving the cost of a 4-day badge from $90 to $110 is nothing but a money grab.  Am I getting any additional services for that 22% increase in price?  I think not.  Am I guaranteed a room in the housing block for that increase in price - certainly not.  So what justifies it?  Nothing but greed.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Well there are ways to drop demand for things. One way is to raise the price.

Raising the price also encourages more people to run events to earn a free badge.

So sure some of it is to increase profit but there are some nice side benefits too.

Normal
Small
Posted by datsun80 opus69

opus69 wrote:
You think that's bad?  The Trade Day badges went from 130 to 200!!!!  At least retailers get early access for that; educators pay the same price and don't!

They removed that perk from retailers! So this year you pay $200 just like educators for sub-par content. I will just be sticking with the regular 4 day and not trade. Trade day cost me $480 (4 people) last year which I could stomach as the content and quality of the sessions seemed about right. $800 this year is crazy unless they substantially increased the quality of the sessions.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
The price increases for 2018 are shameless.  Moving the cost of a 4-day badge from $90 to $110 is nothing but a money grab.  Am I getting any additional services for that 22% increase in price?  I think not.  Am I guaranteed a room in the housing block for that increase in price - certainly not.  So what justifies it?  Nothing but greed.

Got it in one.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

Got it in one.

So what? They have a right to make money. It is a free market after all. If it bothers you that much, don't go. 

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

Got it in one.
So what? They have a right to make money. It is a free market after all. If it bothers you that much, don't go. 

The interesting point is who loses with the price hike. The obvious answer is the exhibit hall merchants. As Badge, food, and housing costs increase the amount of spending money attendees will have will decrease.

Hopefully there won't be an increase for event tickets.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked lehane

lehane wrote:
lordnlkon wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

Got it in one.

The interesting point is who loses with the price hike. The obvious answer is the exhibit hall merchants. As Badge, food, and housing costs increase the amount of spending money attendees will have will decrease.Hopefully there won't be an increase for event tickets.
the event ticket prices are the same $1 per hour for the event.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz timjs21

timjs21 wrote:

It's a business.  They have a right to charge what they want.  Especially if their operating expenses are increasing.  Also, it's only $20.  You can stay home if it upsets you that much.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

When was the last price increase?  It seems like it's been $90 for a while.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke nascragman

nascragman wrote:When was the last price increase?  It seems like it's been $90 for a while.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

Seriously.

If making more money helps them run GenCon better, then I don't mind a bit.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.
Truth. If $20 more is going to price you out of Gencon, then perhaps you should not be going after all. You have significant money issues and it could be better spent then on 4 days.

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I always thought, and still think, that the price of a Gen Con badge is cheap for what we get.  Four days of awesomeness that does't exist anywhere else for $110?  Sounds like a good deal to me.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4