Sounds like an excuse to drive up the prices after Gen Con has had a single sell-out year. They believe they will do it twice in a row. A small part thinks that could be the case, but I think it's more likely the attendance rates are going to drop drastically from last year. Not necessarily because of the badge price, but because of it not being a milestone event.
The discount for pre-registration was a big plus. I wonder if it'll effect how many people buy early now that there is no discount or real benefit to pre-registering early (housing aside, but if I remember correctly that's a random chance anyway no matter when you get your ticket)
I'll bet you a shiny dime all of these will occur for Gen Con 2018:
- Gen Con 2018 will sell out
- 4 day badges will sell out while each of Th, F, Sa, and Sunday badges are still available (like Gen Con 50)
- The first one day badges to sell out will be Thursday or Sunday (like Gen Con 50)
- The sell out times of 4 day, and individual badges, will be further in advance of the show date than they were for Gen Con 50
- The sell out will not lead to record setting unique attendance (like Gen Con 50)
So basically, a lot of false hype again (which will doubtlessly be used as an excuse to drive up badge prices again for 2019)?