Pricing question
Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

$110 for 4 days is cheap, convention wise.

PAXEast - $105 for 3 days

BGG.Con - $150 for 5 days

SDCC - $200 for 4 days

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I don't know about PAX or BGG, but at SDCC, you don't have to purchase event tickets. I find that cost of a GenCon badge + event tickets is in the same ballpark as a 5 day SDCC badge (we attend both cons every year). 

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I don't know about PAX or BGG, but at SDCC, you don't have to purchase event tickets. I find that cost of a GenCon badge + event tickets is in the same ballpark as a 5 day SDCC badge (we attend both cons every year). 

Yeah for 4 full days of gaming, I think the price is pretty reasonable.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:Yeah for 4 full days of gaming, I think the price is pretty reasonable.

I completely agree. 

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

But its not just the Badge cost one needs to take into account.  But hotelling, food, event tickets...  All of it needs to be taken as a whole.

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee garhkal

garhkal wrote:
But its not just the Badge cost one needs to take into account.  But hotelling, food, event tickets...  All of it needs to be taken as a whole.

Very costly to go to GenCon. Indy is not a hub city for air travel along with higher local transporation cost.

The others are hub cities and provide transportation or are at the airport. Far cheaper to attend.

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane garhkal

garhkal wrote:

I agree.

I don't know how everyone else does it but I have a set budget for Gencon each year and I haven't increased said budget and don't plan on it. With each increase the play money I have simply goes down.

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Very costly to go to GenCon. Indy is not a hub city for air travel along with higher local transporation cost.The others are hub cities and provide transportation or are at the airport. Far cheaper to attend.

I'd beg to differ for SDCC. Hotels and food were more expensive than Indy and it's a touch more expensive to fly to Indy than fly to San Diego. Local transportation was a bit higher but I was only using ride share services. Now the flights got me curious and I was bored. I needed to look up flights to SDCC anyway.

It turns out, flying to Gen Con is relatively the same price or cheaper than flying to the other shows. I used Southwest Airlines and flew in a day before and left a day after for each example. (For BGG.CON I used Houston Hobby instead of DFW where it's actually held because that is where SW flies to)

Gen Con

• LaGuardia - $230
  • San Diego - $310
  • Orlando - $211
  • Houston - $345
  • Seattle - $345

PAX East

• Indianapolis - $201
  • LaGuardia - Just Uber it
  • San Diego - $383
  • Orlando -$244
  • Houston - $258
  • Seattle - $370

SDCC

• Indianapolis - $301
  • LaGuardia - $475
  • SD - Lyft?
  • Orlando - $316
  • Houston - $409
  • Seattle - $217

BGG.CON

• Indianapolis - $345
  • LaGuardia - $261
  • SD - $410
  • Orlando - $343
  • Houston - You got this
  • Seattle - $302

Indianapolis airport has also been awarded the #1 airport in North America 5 years running which is kind of cool. 

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice

Gen Con does not have to be a break-the-bank experience.

In each of 2015 and 2016, I did 4-Day Gen Con for about $600 all-in (including dealer hall purchases) or so.

• I drove in from the Twin Cities - not an option for everyone.

• I wanted to save money so I traded time for money and paying for parking (since I was staying outside of downtown) over harder-to-estimate Uber/Lyft, taxis, etc.

• I split 5 night (Wed-Sun) room costs among 6 - not an option for everyone but a huge cost savings.
  • I brought most of my own food with me and budgeted for the remainder.

• Another huge cost savings.  Stay hydrated with water.  Make sandwiches in the morning, bring game friendly snacks (nuts, Kind bars, etc.) and budget a bit more for a few drinks or snacks.

• I had a budget for games in the dealer's hall and stuck to it.  I walked through the whole hall multiple times and noted things I would buy later in the year.  Some I did; some I didn't - amazing what you realize you *don't* need after the excitement of the moment wears off.
  • I played a *lot* of RPGs - those events are really affordable (8 dollars for 4 hours of play?), fill up the time and you can try out a lot of new RPGs throughout the Con.

In 2017, I did 4-Day Gen Con for about $2000.  My wife's first Gen Con - way more events (and she likes crafty stuff - so that stuff is more expensive) - I footed the whole hotel, we ate out more, didn't skimp, she bought more stuff in the Dealer Hall than I did, etc. because I wanted her to have a great time so she wanted to come back.

This year, wife and I are going again and I'll be able to compare costs year-over-year.

Every year, I have an amazing time (and I've never stayed downtown).  With planning, you can get the costs down.  You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it or not.  If badge and event costs are causing you to reconsider Gen Con, then you *absolutely* need to carefully consider the total cost of going and how you are going to manage transportation costs, parking, food and beverages and spending money. 

The increases in Badge and Event costs aren't the prohibitive costs; its the other stuff you've got to watch out for (the Dealer Hall...so.much.cool.stuff!).

Normal
Small
Posted by ungmar9567 lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
The price increases for 2018 are shameless.  Moving the cost of a 4-day badge from $90 to $110 is nothing but a money grab.  Am I getting any additional services for that 22% increase in price?  I think not.  Am I guaranteed a room in the housing block for that increase in price - certainly not.  So what justifies it?  Nothing but greed.

Got it in one.
So what? They have a right to make money. It is a free market after all. If it bothers you that much, don't go. 
I understand that prices go up. But we used to get little bags of free stuff with our badge purchase. And there used to be guest stars from TV shows and movies. I see the prices going up, but it seems like we aren't getting as much as we used to.

Don't get me wrong, I still bought my 4-day badge. It just seems like we used to get more for our money.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:
lordnlkon wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
The price increases for 2018 are shameless.  Moving the cost of a 4-day badge from $90 to $110 is nothing but a money grab.  Am I getting any additional services for that 22% increase in price?  I think not.  Am I guaranteed a room in the housing block for that increase in price - certainly not.  So what justifies it?  Nothing but greed.

Got it in one.
So what? They have a right to make money. It is a free market after all. If it bothers you that much, don't go. 
I understand that prices go up. But we used to get little bags of free stuff with our badge purchase. And there used to be guest stars from TV shows and movies. I see the prices going up, but it seems like we aren't getting as much as we used to.Don't get me wrong, I still bought my 4-day badge. It just seems like we used to get more for our money.

The bags were a result of the gaming companies themselves putting things in as "advertising" (as opposed to the current coupon booklets).  The economic explosion of 10 years ago basically killed off the swag bags.  

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:I understand that prices go up. But we used to get little bags of free stuff with our badge purchase. And there used to be guest stars from TV shows and movies. I see the prices going up, but it seems like we aren't getting as much as we used to.Don't get me wrong, I still bought my 4-day badge. It just seems like we used to get more for our money.

Either you haven't been paying attention or put very different weight on different components of Gen Con because I see a huge increase in the size of the venue and number of events and activities offered. Yes, the swag bag is gone (but the coupon book still has some highlights) and Media Guests of Honor have gone from weak to non-existent, but neither was a core Gen Con offering and, IMHO, pales in comparison to all that has grown and improved at Gen Con.

Obviously we're all going to have different opinions, but I've seen Gen Con improve and expand in so many areas. I consider it a damn good value.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

For a family of 4, Gencon does not feel like a value.  For me, it is feeling like a really expensive vacation.  But we've been doing it for so many years, and over that time my kids have made friends that they look forward to seeing (my husband and I too).  The extra $80 for badges feels like a huge increase, but we cannot imagine not going.  Last year we added Tuesday night in addition to Sunday night....  And my secret plan is keeping this tradition going so that when they leave for college in a couple of years, they'll still want to GENCON with us:)

Normal
Small
Posted by eldrad12000

My budget has decrease along with the price increase. But I am rather lucky. My ViG ticket has always been Christmas gift from my family. And my friends always get me Southwest gift cards. So my flight is always covered as well. But I still can't afford too much, as being a writer does not pay that well. Well being a non famous writer doesn't pay well. But I have cut down a decent amount from my "Deal hall" budget over the past couple of years due to various price increases that I do have to cover.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.
Truth. If $20 more is going to price you out of Gencon, then perhaps you should not be going after all. You have significant money issues and it could be better spent then on 4 days.

Let's be honest, an additional $20 doesn't price me out of attending GenCon.  I doubt it does for anyone.  My point is that if you look at it as a percentage year-over -year increase, it's 22%.  That is a huge jump for one year.  My opinion was more focused on WHAT we are receiving for that price increase?  Yes, I'm assuming that costs went up as they always do but not enough to justify that big of a jump.  If the increase came with an explanation that costs went up, along with some additional benefits that attendees will reap, then I would not have any problem with it.  The issue I have is nothing was explained other then hey, we're raising prices 22%.  As such, I'll stick with my opinion that it's a money grab.

Normal
Small
Posted by k_dog64

When I look back at past years, I paid $80 in 2015, $90 in 2016, $90 in 2017.  With no price increase between 2016 and 2017, the $20 increase seems to be on par if I see the $10 increase between 2015 and 2016.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.
Truth. If $20 more is going to price you out of Gencon, then perhaps you should not be going after all. You have significant money issues and it could be better spent then on 4 days.
Let's be honest, an additional $20 doesn't price me out of attending GenCon.  I doubt it does for anyone.  My point is that if you look at it as a percentage year-over -year increase, it's 22%.  That is a huge jump for one year.  My opinion was more focused on WHAT we are receiving for that price increase?  Yes, I'm assuming that costs went up as they always do but not enough to justify that big of a jump.  If the increase came with an explanation that costs went up, along with some additional benefits that attendees will reap, then I would not have any problem with it.  The issue I have is nothing was explained other then hey, we're raising prices 22%.  As such, I'll stick with my opinion that it's a money grab.

And when the price didn't go up at all last year, did you say "That's weird, don't they know about inflation?  They must be very kind-hearted, generous souls!"  Or do you just look at it from the negative end?

"Money grab".  If I had that negative an opinion about them, I'd look at going to other Cons instead.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

Has anyone considered that part of the reason for the changes we are seeing is due to new management? We have a new CEO with new priorities, a new way of managing, and potentially new awesomeness for the convention that we don't even know of yet. 

Normal
Small
Posted by chaos62417 matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:

And when the price didn't go up at all last year, did you say "That's weird, don't they know about inflation?  They must be very kind-hearted, generous souls!"  Or do you just look at it from the negative end?"Money grab".  If I had that negative an opinion about them, I'd look at going to other Cons instead.

I know that's what I tell my employer when there are no company raises. the fact is with the Con spreading into Lucas Oil we now need to pay for two huge buildings to keep the lights on, have security, etc. for 24 hours for 5 days. Prices go up, it does seem drastic to go from 80 bux in 2015 to 110 in 2018 though, that is a cool 2 million bux that they are getting. on the other hand last years gen con was easily the most fun I have ever had at the con and I have gone every year it has been in Indy.

Normal
Small
Posted by joho nialith

nialith wrote:PAX East

• Indianapolis - $201
  • LaGuardia - Just Uber it
  • San Diego - $383
  • Orlando -$244
  • Houston - $258
  • Seattle - $370

point of order: 

Pax East is in Boston - airport is Kennedy, a 4 hour car/train ride from NYC area.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3