Pricing question
Normal
Small
online
Posted by mstabosz

Was last year the first time they expanded to Lucas Oil Stadium?  Renting a football stadium for your event isn't cheap.  It's cynical to believe that the only reason they would raise prices is greed.  As a corporation, Gencon LLC needs to maintain a certain profit margin and if their expenses are climbing, they need to do something to counterbalance that loss.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:Was last year the first time they expanded to Lucas Oil Stadium?

No, but it was the first year using the field.

_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric ytuni

ytuni wrote:
Has anyone considered that part of the reason for the changes we are seeing is due to new management? We have a new CEO with new priorities, a new way of managing, and potentially new awesomeness for the convention that we don't even know of yet. 
I really think this is the core of it. New management has new eyes on the numbers, sees things from a slightly different perspective. Whether this move is right or wrong will depend on attendance numbers for 2018. It's not like Gen Con execs are making "solid gold house" and "rocket car" money.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.
Truth. If $20 more is going to price you out of Gencon, then perhaps you should not be going after all. You have significant money issues and it could be better spent then on 4 days.
Let's be honest, an additional $20 doesn't price me out of attending GenCon.  I doubt it does for anyone.  My point is that if you look at it as a percentage year-over -year increase, it's 22%.  That is a huge jump for one year.  My opinion was more focused on WHAT we are receiving for that price increase?  Yes, I'm assuming that costs went up as they always do but not enough to justify that big of a jump.  If the increase came with an explanation that costs went up, along with some additional benefits that attendees will reap, then I would not have any problem with it.  The issue I have is nothing was explained other then hey, we're raising prices 22%.  As such, I'll stick with my opinion that it's a money grab.

And when the price didn't go up at all last year, did you say "That's weird, don't they know about inflation?  They must be very kind-hearted, generous souls!"  Or do you just look at it from the negative end?"Money grab".  If I had that negative an opinion about them, I'd look at going to other Cons instead.

Offered without comment

U.S. Inflation Rate History and Forecast

Year   Inflation Rate YOY    Events Affecting Inflation
2014    0.8%                      QE ends
2015    0.7%                      Deflation in oil and gas prices
2016    2.1%
2017    2.1%                      Core inflation rate 1.8%. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca nascragman

nascragman wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
$110 for 4 days is a "money grab"?  Compared to what?  Professional conferences are often ~$300 for 4 days or so.  San Diego Comic Con costs $60 per day (without even offering a 4-day badge).  Sure, it's more than small local game conventions, but that's to be expected -- it's not at all like them.
Truth. If $20 more is going to price you out of Gencon, then perhaps you should not be going after all. You have significant money issues and it could be better spent then on 4 days.
Let's be honest, an additional $20 doesn't price me out of attending GenCon.  I doubt it does for anyone.  My point is that if you look at it as a percentage year-over -year increase, it's 22%.  That is a huge jump for one year.  My opinion was more focused on WHAT we are receiving for that price increase?  Yes, I'm assuming that costs went up as they always do but not enough to justify that big of a jump.  If the increase came with an explanation that costs went up, along with some additional benefits that attendees will reap, then I would not have any problem with it.  The issue I have is nothing was explained other then hey, we're raising prices 22%.  As such, I'll stick with my opinion that it's a money grab.

And when the price didn't go up at all last year, did you say "That's weird, don't they know about inflation?  They must be very kind-hearted, generous souls!"  Or do you just look at it from the negative end?"Money grab".  If I had that negative an opinion about them, I'd look at going to other Cons instead.

Offered without commentU.S. Inflation Rate History and Forecast
Year   Inflation Rate YOY    Events Affecting Inflation
2014    0.8%                      QE ends
2015    0.7%                      Deflation in oil and gas prices
2016    2.1%
2017    2.1%                      Core inflation rate 1.8%. 
Not sure why you think price raises should match inflation, though. There are other factors, namely demand. Movie prices have gone up far higher than the rate of inflation over recent decades. Sporting event prices too, concert events, heck, most live entertainment. An event like Gen Con is simply a hotter ticket now than it was in preceding years. And that's why the price increase. Because they think people will pay it. The idea that they have to maintain an equal value-for-money ratio from some arbitrarily fixed point in the past is kind of a curious expectation.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal austicke

austicke wrote:
mstabosz wrote:Was last year the first time they expanded to Lucas Oil Stadium?

No, but it was the first year using the field._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Other than it was a pain going through all those corridors getting wheeled carts down there, i actually LIKED gaming on the field!

Normal
Small
Posted by dreamitdoit

No one *wants* to pay more for anything, no one *wants* badges to sell out, no one *wants* hotels to sell out in 5 minutes, no one *wants* ICC to be crowded, etc.

But you can't have all of these things at the same time and expect the situation to improve. It's just selfish.

It's a capitalist society. There's supply and demand. People have budgets, priorities, and opportunity costs. Businesses don't care if person x or y can't afford to go if person z and zz will go in their place--especially if they have no choice to raise prices because someone else raised prices on them or if they are expecting future expenses.

Even the giant leap in trade day prices is not without some logical reason. I'm not going this year as I did last year, mostly because of the price. But that doesn't mean Gen Con cares about that, and it's not fair for me to take the price jump personally, either. It's just business.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 2 4