Badge purchases are online only?
Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

(Pardon me for pretty much repeating something I posted in the Fans of GenCon FB group - is there some policy, written or otherwise, about that?)

I see in the Policies & Show Information page, under "On-site Badge Registration," it says:

"On-site Badge Registration will not be available at Gen Con 2018 this year. For additional information about the various badge types and associated costs, please visit the Badge Registration kiosks onsite or check out our Registration page."

I read this as, badges must be purchased online; nobody can walk into the Convention Center, put down their money (or credit card info), and get a badge on the spot.  Of course, nothing (other than all of the badges being sold out) stops someone from ordering one online during GenCon, except that I think it takes 24 hours for them to be processed.

However, if this is true, then why does it mention "Badge Registration kiosks"?

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

Am thinking it's an editing error...

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
Am thinking it's an editing error...

Eh, given the other crap GenCon is pulling for 2018, I'm assuming the worst.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Last year badges sold out for the first time ever, so there was no on-site registration. I think GenCon is making a pre-emptive strike this year and simply telling people to buy their badges online in advance. I agree that it was probably an oversight when editing that they didn't remove the 'Badge Registration Kiosks' language.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I don't think it's a typo since it's clearly spelled out in more than one place.

If badges sell out, of course there won't be onsite badge registration. If they don't, you'll need to buy your badge online.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

So are they doing this, cause they think they will sell out again this year??  A little foolish imo.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 garhkal

garhkal wrote:
So are they doing this, cause they think they will sell out again this year??  A little foolish imo.

Foolish?  I'll tell you what -- I'll meet you at the Gen Con merchandise store on Thursday morning of the Con.  If the Con sold out, you can buy me a Gen Con 51 shirt.  If it hasn't sold out, I will buy you one.  Deal?

Gen Con has had attendance of over 60,000 for 3 years now.  (And who knows what it would have grown to last year if it hadn't been capped.)  5 years earlier than that, it was only 30,000.  Yes, it literally doubled in 5 years.  The perceived scarcity will only inspire more demand.  I am astounded that some still don't expect it to sell out.  It will sell out.  And it will sell out earlier than it did last year.

I have heard a few people lamenting the increased cost and suggesting that it may result in people not coming anymore.  But, personally, I have yet to hear anyone actually say, "that's it, I'm out".

Normal
Small
Posted by papalorax

I would assume that not having to plan for On-Site registration is a big deal in both time, effort, and cost.

If you remember lines pre-2017...it's also a huge deal for the customer experience to not have people standing in lines.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 garhkal

garhkal wrote:

The Gen Con 50 sell out of 4 day badges was not related to capacity or safety limits being reached, so there is no reason to expect they won't sell out again this year for the same reasons it did last year, whatever those were.

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith

Exactly. They just decided how many people they thought was the "right" amount for that year and capped it. From what I've heard, that same attendance cap will be in place next year. It will be interesting to see if they hit it again since it's not a special year like GenCon 50. The Indianapolis 500 sold out on the 100th running for the first time in forever but immediately went back to not selling out the next year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The Gen Con 50 sell out of 4 day badges was not related to capacity or safety limits being reached, so there is no reason to expect they won't sell out again this year for the same reasons it did last year, whatever those were. 

During the Running GenCon panel discussion on Sunday of GenCon 50, Adrian Swartout specifically said the badge limit was due to fire marshal concerns. 

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 nialith

nialith wrote:
Exactly. They just decided how many people they thought was the "right" amount for that year and capped it. From what I've heard, that same attendance cap will be in place next year. It will be interesting to see if they hit it again since it's not a special year like GenCon 50. The Indianapolis 500 sold out on the 100th running for the first time in forever but immediately went back to not selling out the next year. 

This statement ignores the fact that the announced attendance has been at 60-61,000 for each of the last 3 years.  And, last year's probably would have gone much higher (if it hadn't been capped). 

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Foolish?  I'll tell you what -- I'll meet you at the Gen Con merchandise store on Thursday morning of the Con.  If the Con sold out, you can buy me a Gen Con 51 shirt.  If it hasn't sold out, I will buy you one.  Deal?Gen Con has had attendance of over 60,000 for 3 years now.  (And who knows what it would have grown to last year if it hadn't been capped.)  5 years earlier than that, it was only 30,000.  Yes, it literally doubled in 5 years.  The perceived scarcity will only inspire more demand.  I am astounded that some still don't expect it to sell out.  It will sell out.  And it will sell out earlier than it did last year.
I have heard a few people lamenting the increased cost and suggesting that it may result in people not coming anymore.  But, personally, I have yet to hear anyone actually say, "that's it, I'm out".

I am by no means going to agree with OP, I would personally be very surprised if it did not sell out this year. 

Now, to your last point, I havent had friends of mine say "I'm not going now, it's to expensive", however, I have had a few friends say that they will be skipping so they can attend PAX Unplugged. So, we may be a couple hundred attendees short because of them wanting to attend other cons, but I think that for the ones deciding not to attend, we'll have double that wanting badges so they can come for the first time.

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask nialith

nialith wrote:
Not trying to argue here, so just know that this is an honest question, do you really believe that the Indy 500 is comparable to Gen Con? As I understand it, Indy car racing itself is kind of on the decline when compared to gaming conventions that seem to be on the up and up. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager mormanstoutcask

mormanstoutcask wrote:
nialith wrote:
Not trying to argue here, so just know that this is an honest question, do you really believe that the Indy 500 is comparable to Gen Con? As I understand it, Indy car racing itself is kind of on the decline when compared to gaming conventions that seem to be on the up and up. Am I wrong in this assumption?
You have to remember we live inside the board game bubble. Most people still do not even know board games outside Monopoly exist. However, most people at least know of auto racing and the Indianapolis 500. I see the track can hold upwards of 300,000 people which is 5 times what Gen Con currently holds. So at their best, Gen Con does not compare to the Indy 500. At a lower point, I am not sure.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

The impression I got last year is that the previous years of ~60k attendance prompted a discussion with the fire marshal about maximum occupancy and what restrictions/policies might have to happen if the con got much bigger. Gen Con decided to avoid having to deal with those restrictions by capping attendance.

We really don't want people with clicker counters standing at every entrance making us wait in line to enter/exit the building, for example.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks ryric

ryric wrote:
The impression I got last year is that the previous years of ~60k attendance prompted a discussion with the fire marshal about maximum occupancy and what restrictions/policies might have to happen if the con got much bigger. Gen Con decided to avoid having to deal with those restrictions by capping attendance.
We really don't want people with clicker counters standing at every entrance making us wait in line to enter/exit the building, for example.

It's not just maximum numbers, but traffic patterns and where people are congregating in relation to egress points in case of an emergency. The number of trained volunteers/staff able to assist in an evacuation related to the number of attendees probably also factors as well as where those staff are.

For example, getting twenty or thirty people each out of a handful of smaller rooms is completely different than quickly and safely emptying the entire dealer's hall, particularly as it has grown.  

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Well based on the advertisements last year, we know they can get on the loud speaker.

*Good afternoon Gen Con Attendees!*

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

AAAAAATTENTION GEN CON ATTENDEES!

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away austicke

austicke wrote:
AAAAAATTENTION GEN CON ATTENDEES!

* rocks back and forth with his fingers in his ears *

no it's not happening it's too soon I'm not prepared why won't the announcements stop

Sign in to write a new post. New Post