Badge purchases are online only?
2
2
Normal
Small
online
Posted by andrewj.rager it can be fun to run away

it can be fun to run away wrote:
austicke wrote:
AAAAAATTENTION GEN CON ATTENDEES!

* rocks back and forth with his fingers in his ears *no it's not happening it's too soon I'm not prepared why won't the announcements stop
*You need to roll at least an 8 on a 20 sided die to drown out the announcements..*

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
it can be fun to run away wrote:
austicke wrote:
AAAAAATTENTION GEN CON ATTENDEES!

* rocks back and forth with his fingers in his ears *no it's not happening it's too soon I'm not prepared why won't the announcements stop
*You need to roll at least an 8 on a 20 sided die to drown out the announcements..*

* Instructions unclear - Currently having D20's extracted from my ears *

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith it can be fun to run away

it can be fun to run away wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
it can be fun to run away wrote:
austicke wrote:
AAAAAATTENTION GEN CON ATTENDEES!

* rocks back and forth with his fingers in his ears *no it's not happening it's too soon I'm not prepared why won't the announcements stop
*You need to roll at least an 8 on a 20 sided die to drown out the announcements..*

* Instructions unclear - Currently having D20's extracted from my ears *
​​​​​​I keep reading it in that guys voice even. lol

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith mormanstoutcask

mormanstoutcask wrote:
nialith wrote:
Exactly. They just decided how many people they thought was the "right" amount for that year and capped it. From what I've heard, that same attendance cap will be in place next year. It will be interesting to see if they hit it again since it's not a special year like GenCon 50. The Indianapolis 500 sold out on the 100th running for the first time in forever but immediately went back to not selling out the next year. 
Not trying to argue here, so just know that this is an honest question, do you really believe that the Indy 500 is comparable to Gen Con? As I understand it, Indy car racing itself is kind of on the decline when compared to gaming conventions that seem to be on the up and up. Am I wrong in this assumption?
​​​​​No worries, I don't think I was clear on the fact that the only comparison I was attempting to make was the fact that last year was a "special" year for Gen Con. Those mile markers so to speak tend to draw extra people that may not have normally attended. In the case of the 500, it was the 100th running so some people just want to say they were there for it. 

I think that contributed to the attendance bump Gen Con got last year so I'm curious to see if it can be sustained. However, as Matthias9 points out though, attendance was already pretty close to the cap so the popularity of board games may keep us at that cap and we won't see a drop off. 

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

In 2017, the Indy 500 drew over 300k people.

These folks are hardcore. They hold official events for 2  SOLID WEEKS. 

They've been doing this for 101 years, and none of that sounds like it is on the downward spiral to me. 

GenCon is the baby sister here.  

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
mormanstoutcask wrote:
nialith wrote:
Exactly. They just decided how many people they thought was the "right" amount for that year and capped it. From what I've heard, that same attendance cap will be in place next year. It will be interesting to see if they hit it again since it's not a special year like GenCon 50. The Indianapolis 500 sold out on the 100th running for the first time in forever but immediately went back to not selling out the next year. 
Not trying to argue here, so just know that this is an honest question, do you really believe that the Indy 500 is comparable to Gen Con? As I understand it, Indy car racing itself is kind of on the decline when compared to gaming conventions that seem to be on the up and up. Am I wrong in this assumption?
You have to remember we live inside the board game bubble. Most people still do not even know board games outside Monopoly exist. However, most people at least know of auto racing and the Indianapolis 500. I see the track can hold upwards of 300,000 people which is 5 times what Gen Con currently holds. So at their best, Gen Con does not compare to the Indy 500. At a lower point, I am not sure.
I can see your point, honestly, if less people show up this year, my wife and I will be happy to have a little more moving room haha. Have a great con!

Normal
Small
online
Posted by andrewj.rager mormanstoutcask

mormanstoutcask wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
mormanstoutcask wrote:
nialith wrote:
Exactly. They just decided how many people they thought was the "right" amount for that year and capped it. From what I've heard, that same attendance cap will be in place next year. It will be interesting to see if they hit it again since it's not a special year like GenCon 50. The Indianapolis 500 sold out on the 100th running for the first time in forever but immediately went back to not selling out the next year. 
Not trying to argue here, so just know that this is an honest question, do you really believe that the Indy 500 is comparable to Gen Con? As I understand it, Indy car racing itself is kind of on the decline when compared to gaming conventions that seem to be on the up and up. Am I wrong in this assumption?
You have to remember we live inside the board game bubble. Most people still do not even know board games outside Monopoly exist. However, most people at least know of auto racing and the Indianapolis 500. I see the track can hold upwards of 300,000 people which is 5 times what Gen Con currently holds. So at their best, Gen Con does not compare to the Indy 500. At a lower point, I am not sure.
I can see your point, honestly, if less people show up this year, my wife and I will be happy to have a little more moving room haha. Have a great con!
Thank you. You as well. Yeah, my little one could be walking by that point and a little less people wouldn't be a bad thing. It was pretty easy with him at 2 months last year, in his baby sling.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer del_grande

del_grande wrote:
(Pardon me for pretty much repeating something I posted in the Fans of GenCon FB group - is there some policy, written or otherwise, about that?)
I see in the Policies & Show Information page, under "On-site Badge Registration," it says:
"On-site Badge Registration will not be available at Gen Con 2018 this year. For additional information about the various badge types and associated costs, please visit the Badge Registration kiosks onsite or check out our Registration page."
I read this as, badges must be purchased online; nobody can walk into the Convention Center, put down their money (or credit card info), and get a badge on the spot.  Of course, nothing (other than all of the badges being sold out) stops someone from ordering one online during GenCon, except that I think it takes 24 hours for them to be processed.
However, if this is true, then why does it mention "Badge Registration kiosks"?

Thanks for pointing this out. It is an editing error. It has been updated!

Slipped through the cracks but what can I say, I’ve got my 51st Gen Con to plan... 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by alans mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
del_grande wrote:
(Pardon me for pretty much repeating something I posted in the Fans of GenCon FB group - is there some policy, written or otherwise, about that?)
I see in the Policies & Show Information page, under "On-site Badge Registration," it says:
"On-site Badge Registration will not be available at Gen Con 2018 this year. For additional information about the various badge types and associated costs, please visit the Badge Registration kiosks onsite or check out our Registration page."
I read this as, badges must be purchased online; nobody can walk into the Convention Center, put down their money (or credit card info), and get a badge on the spot.  Of course, nothing (other than all of the badges being sold out) stops someone from ordering one online during GenCon, except that I think it takes 24 hours for them to be processed.
However, if this is true, then why does it mention "Badge Registration kiosks"?

Thanks for pointing this out. It is an editing error. It has been updated!Slipped through the cracks but what can I say, I’ve got my 51st Gen Con to plan... 
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC
So - you're planning the 50th Anniversary?  {grins and ducks}

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer alans

alans wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
del_grande wrote:
(Pardon me for pretty much repeating something I posted in the Fans of GenCon FB group - is there some policy, written or otherwise, about that?)
I see in the Policies & Show Information page, under "On-site Badge Registration," it says:
"On-site Badge Registration will not be available at Gen Con 2018 this year. For additional information about the various badge types and associated costs, please visit the Badge Registration kiosks onsite or check out our Registration page."
I read this as, badges must be purchased online; nobody can walk into the Convention Center, put down their money (or credit card info), and get a badge on the spot.  Of course, nothing (other than all of the badges being sold out) stops someone from ordering one online during GenCon, except that I think it takes 24 hours for them to be processed.
However, if this is true, then why does it mention "Badge Registration kiosks"?

Thanks for pointing this out. It is an editing error. It has been updated!Slipped through the cracks but what can I say, I’ve got my 51st Gen Con to plan... 
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC
So - you're planning the 50th Anniversary?  {grins and ducks}

Yes, you notice I did not say "Anniversary". We wouldn't want to cause any confusion ;)

 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
2
2