Trade Day Question
Normal
Small
Posted by opus69

Will the educator Trade Day attendees be getting conned out of their early access again this year?  If so, the 90 dollars (plus tax) is in no way worth it for the meager seminar content of Trade Day.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I would like to know this as well, what with the huge price jump this year. Not all of us are getting this covered by our schools.

Normal
Small
Posted by opus69

I've been to weekend-long proper education seminars that cost less than 90 dollars.

Normal
Small
Posted by eldrad12000

I would assume the answer is yes. They did it last year because people were complaining that too many people were allowed in early.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

There is a Trade Day page for 2018, but it's not linked from the main page as far as I can tell. No mention of early access for anyone, retailer or educator. I suppose that's at least fair.

http://www.gencon.com/attend/trade

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke ryric

Typo in the underlying URL. Should be this link.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 opus69

opus69 wrote:
I've been to weekend-long proper education seminars that cost less than 90 dollars.

Not sure what kind of seminars you've been going to, but that has not been my experience.  Last one I went to cost $280 -- and that was for early registration.

I also don't understand the complaint about "meager" seminar content.  Why go, then?  Are you just hoping to pay to get early access to the exhibit hall?  If that's what people are doing, it's no wonder they removed that element.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

The last educational seminar day I went to (which was after Gen Con, late August 2017) cost $125 to preregister, and it involved professional speakers and a paid keynote speaker. The quality of Gen Con seminar presentations at Trade Day is very hit or miss, and there are a lot of repeat seminars year after year. Most are not worth sitting through twice. Now, I've seen ads for education seminars that ran up to $200-$300 per day so such pricing is not unheard of. I don't go to those though because my school won't cover them.

So I've never had a problem with paying the previous $120ish price for Trade Day; that's on par with other one-day events.

Do note, the way that Gen Con prices Trade Day, that it's not $110 Gen Con badge + $90 Trade Day = $200. It's (free) Gen Con badge + $200 Trade Day = $200. I found this out when I asked about combining VIG with Trade Day.

Early access was a very, very nice perk. It always stings to have something taken away that you're accustomed to having. Based on the 2015-16 lines, there were a lot of people buying Trade Day badges and skipping the seminars. Many, many more people were in the early access line than in the seminars on Wednesday.

Also a lot of Press badges shop against the rules during early access. I've been in multiple lines where the people on both sides of me were Press.

Anyway I imagine the changes are all due to the uproar over Seafall in 2016 selling out during Early Access.

Normal
Small
Posted by joho ryric

ryric wrote:
Anyway I imagine the changes are all due to the uproar over Seafall in 2016 selling out during Early Access.

I was in VIG for that '16 early access and Plaid Hat prioritized VIG - only VIG people were allowed to line up to purchase during early access. Perhaps a handful of copies were sold to Retail/Trade Day/Press when the line dwindled, but the bulk went to VIG.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric joho

joho wrote:
ryric wrote:

I was in VIG for that '16 early access and Plaid Hat prioritized VIG - only VIG people were allowed to line up to purchase during early access. Perhaps a handful of copies were sold to Retail/Trade Day/Press when the line dwindled, but the bulk went to VIG.
I just remember the outcry at that one game being sold out before the exhibit hall opened...I've always spent early access at FFG and Paizo, mostly to avoid the later lines rather than grabbing anything that will sell out.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked joho

joho wrote:
ryric wrote:

I’ve never seen a booth only allow VIG in during early access.  But then I’ve never been to Plaid Hats booth, but I can state as a fact Catalyst let’s anyone one in.  Every year I’m in line for early access with people with press badges and exhibitor badges.  This last GenCon I was in line when 3 vendors came up and asked the guy at the booth if they could shop even though they had exhibitor badges and only CIGs were to shop durning access.  The guy at catalyst booths response was “why wouldn’t we let you in, anyone can come in”

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Yeah, SeaFall sellout in 2016 prior to hall opening probably made many reassess the early access procedures.

But, there is some consolation in the fact that the game wasn't really very good, as it turned out.

Normal
Small
Posted by garwalf austicke

austicke wrote:
Typo in the underlying URL. Should be this link._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Thank you for sharing this information. I'm a college history teacher and was considering coming for the Trade Day, but based on this, it looks like there really won't be anything for me.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb garwalf

garwalf wrote:Thank you for sharing this information. I'm a college history teacher and was considering coming for the Trade Day, but based on this, it looks like there really won't be anything for me.

For what it's worth, I teach at a university level as well and have attended Trade Day for the past 3 years. I have very much enjoyed it and have found many of the seminars to be informative and helpful. Yes, some are geared toward younger students, but others are for college-level and others are history based. If you think you might be interested, it is worth giving a try. Yes, it is more expensive than a regular badge, but you are getting a full extra day of GenCon.

Also, something they don't mention on the Trade Day page is that the Trade Day participants are invited to a game night on Wednesday evening. People from the game publishers come and demo their latest games. While this is not very 'educational' (there are some exceptions) it is a good chance to demo the 'hot games' that will be on the exhibit floor without big lines. I always enjoy the game night at Trade Day. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric helenbb

helenbb wrote:
garwalf wrote:Thank you for sharing this information. I'm a college history teacher and was considering coming for the Trade Day, but based on this, it looks like there really won't be anything for me.

For what it's worth, I teach at a university level as well and have attended Trade Day for the past 3 years. I have very much enjoyed it and have found many of the seminars to be informative and helpful. Yes, some are geared toward younger students, but others are for college-level and others are history based. If you think you might be interested, it is worth giving a try. Yes, it is more expensive than a regular badge, but you are getting a full extra day of GenCon.Also, something they don't mention on the Trade Day page is that the Trade Day participants are invited to a game night on Wednesday evening. People from the game publishers come and demo their latest games. While this is not very 'educational' (there are some exceptions) it is a good chance to demo the 'hot games' that will be on the exhibit floor without big lines. I always enjoy the game night at Trade Day. 
Huh. I've only been to the Wednesday game night once (in 2010), and it was such a mediocre experience for me that I never went back. I watched the company rep for the game I wanted to demo punch tokens and read rules for an hour with no sign of even setting up before I gave up on it. By that point everything else was crowded so I got to play/demo nothing. Haven't gone back since; I'd rather actually play games with my friends who I only see at the con.

The seminars can be quite good. Some have been pretty terrible, but in general they are more good than bad, like most seminar days. I've had an issue the last couple of years where the seminars are the same from year to year, though. I'm starting to run out of ones I haven't seen.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

It sounds like you got a bad demo. As always, these things can vary from publisher to publisher and presenter to presenter. Also, I've only been attending Trade Day since 2015, so I can't speak as to how things might have been different in 2010.

All I can say is that I love that I get to demo the new hot games at Trade Day, some of which are the same games for which I see long lines on the exhibit floor. 

Normal
Small
Posted by geezer

I attended Trade Day for the first time last year and for me it was really worth it.  I did not ask my university to pay for it.  It was definitely worth the money I spent.  It was so enjoyable that my students and I hope to present the results of a game-related student project they are doing.  The only hard part of attending was finding the right hotel.  There are two of the same hotel in downtown Indy.  

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

My wife and I stay just outside of town on Tuesday night, then drive in early Wednesday morning and check in at our "real" hotel. I've never had an issue checking in at 9 AM.

Normal
Small
Posted by dreamitdoit

Last year was the first year my institution had an interest in board game programming, so it was the first time I went to trade day on behalf of my institution. The upcharge last year was what, $35? For that amount of money, it was a fine experience, but I was definitely disappointed in the seminars. It was fun being at Gen Con and watching it go from 0 on Tuesday to full-tilt on Wednesday night, but I didn't get a whole lot out of the 5 or so seminars I attended. It was annoying to not be able to meet with publishers early to try to negotiate some charitable giving to our game library, but I was able to work some of that in during regular convention hours.

This year though, with the upcharge being over double last year, I don't plan to attend unless they announce significant new content or perks. Again, the experience was fairly pleasant in 2017, but nothing really that I couldn't get by just poking around BGG or doing my own research. For $90, I could buy 3 or 4 games and sit in the ICC or a connected hotel on Wednesday afternoon and run my own private demo, too.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.