Family Trip
Normal
Small
Posted by angela0117@gmail.com

Hello, For Christmas I am giving my husband the gift of Gen Con. Every year he says he wishes he went, and this year, I'm going to make it happen. We are bringing our daughter (who is already into gaming) but she'll be 7. I know she's free to get in, but how will I get her registered? And, I'm looking around trying to figure out what the difference is in a badge for entry and then event tickets? Are the event tickets for us to play in any games? I'm so confused. Any info you can provide would be awesome! I'm not sure what to expect! 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Essentially a badge gets you in the door and the ability to walk around the convention center, Dealer's Hall, etc. However, if you want to participate in games and the multitude of other events you will need to obtain tickets for them. January 7th badges go on sale and most likely in May or sometime around there the event catalog will go online.

You take a look at the events you'd like to attend and games you'd like to play. Tickets will vary wildly in cost from free to relatively costly. Much like housing, popular events will sell out quickly and after the event catalog is published there will be a date where you can try to sign up for events that you'd like to participate in. 

Regarding your daughter. She will need a wristband to get in (it's free as you noted) and this will also allow you to register for kids events. Just like regular events these require tickets and cost varying amounts. Here's the policy on children:

Children ten (10) & Under BadgesChildren ten (10) and under are admitted free when accompanied by an attending adult. If your child wishes to participate in an event that requires purchasing an event ticket, you will need to purchase a Gen Con Badge for them. Children over the age of ten are subject to the standard badge costs. For the children’s protection, parents must register all children ages ten and under at the Customer Service or Badge Registration kiosks onsite. A wristband will be issued at that time listing the parent or guardian’s contact information. The wristband must be attached to the child’s wrist while in the convention center in case the child and parent become separated. More information can be found in our Attendee FAQ.

Normal
Small
Posted by alans

Jan 14th is the opening of badge reg...  :)

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I will point out that there is a lot that you can do with just the badge that doesn't require event tickets. For example, you can easily spend a day or two wandering the exhibit hall demoing games. There is generally a "family fun" area of the exhibit hall that emphasizes games good for kids and families.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

My game group, which is My wife, our friend, and myself have gone the last two years. Two years ago we did 1 event each, and last year we did two each. Maybe spent $30 total in events. Its really not bad. Just find an event or two you want to do and roam around for the rest of the convention. Exhibit Hall has tons of games to play, You could spend a whole day just at Mayfair play testing games. You can also find open gaming at the play hall, in the corridors, and at the hotels.

Just in two years, I feel like we have learned a lot of the dos and don'ts of Gen Con.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.