Just a thought - Opt-Out Official Charity Donation at Registration
Normal
Small
Posted by kiyote

So, just kicking around an idea that was in my head...I saw that last year $26K was raised for the charity, but man...60K people came.  We can do better, no?

What if, and this is just a complete off-the-wall thought, there was a $1 donation tacked on to your badge purchase that you could click a checkbox and opt out of paying? People that don't want to pay it, don't...and people that don't mind kicking in a dollar for the charity can do it easily and neatly at the time they're already outlaying for their badge.

Normal
Small
Posted by jpederso

I think that's a great idea but I think it would have to be an opt-in kind of thing.  I think that too many people would complain that they weren't aware that they were agreeing to the extra charge.  Don't know if the charity is known by the time registration is opened up.  Don't know if it matters

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

A $1 Opt-in for charity would be a great idea, imo.  

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Ooh... no thanks.  I would really resent being tricked in to donating to charity.  I don't think I'm the only one.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Opt-in would be great.

Normal
Small
Posted by burrfoot72

Agreed, Opt in would be a great idea and really the only way to go with it.  Out just leaves too much open to criticism.  

Normal
Small
Posted by kiyote

So make it opt-in.  TBH though, calling a labelled opt-out option "trickery" is a little low.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I agree that it needs to be 'opt-in'. Not everyone supports every charity, and therefore they have the right to determine whether or not they wish to make a donation. 

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe kiyote

kiyote wrote:
So make it opt-in.  TBH though, calling a labelled opt-out option "trickery" is a little low.
Can't tell you how many times my habit of 'just click continue' has gotten me onto mailing lists I had /zero/ inclination to be on simply because that box comes already checked when downloading something.

Even happens when I'm LOOKING for it, but I get distracted by a phone call or something else. Not saying I'd fuss about a dollar, but I once got these /awful/ chocolate dessert things from dominos. At first I thought they were a free promo, since I didn't order them. Nope. Turns out they were in a suggestion screen during checkout. Now I look, but if I had a different pizza place to order delivery from, that experience, and their ever-present attempts to get my extra money for things I do not want, would have me getting my pizza elsewhere. As it is I only order it now when I absolutely /crave/ pizza.

So yeah, I am on the side of trickery. If you didn't specifically add it to your cart, adding anything else, charity or otherwise, is kind of sneaky and underhanded.

Make it opt in or don't do it.

Normal
Small
Posted by kiyote

I guess I"m one of those weirdos that reads the screen when spending money?  :P

Again, I'll say calling donating to charity "trickery" is pretty misleading, but the point is well taken.  That said, the idea was that as a collective group there are 60K of us showing up and it feels like we could do a lot more for Indianapolis, since it's been very welcoming and supportive of Gen Con.  (At least from an attendees perspective)  That was the idea.

While there are a number of events you can participate in to make a donation, I would rather not spend my con time doing that, but would instead happily give a dollar or two at time of registration to make a big splash on whatever charity they decided.

Given the pushback against the notion of a donation you might otherwise not make, I can also see that if the charity isn't known at registration time that might prove to be an obstacle.  While any given charity may be worthwhile, you may not personally agree with it and would like to decline a donation...so that would have to be ironed out earlier, for sure.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I think it comes down to a framing thing. Listen to some of Geoff Engelstein's sections on the Dice Tower on framing. The way you say something is really important. Giving people the option to "opt in" to give to charity, makes them feel good. "forcing" them to "Opt out" makes them feel taken advantage of.

As Geoff says: Given the follow choice, there are 600 people who are in some sort of trouble. You can either:

A: save 200 people
B: let 400 people die.

Most people choice A. Either though its the exact same choice.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I love the idea of an opt-in.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I can agree to an opt in method..  BUT would loath an opt OUT one.

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee

Do not want either. Would make me think about avoiding GenCon if they did this.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz kiyote

kiyote wrote:
Again, I'll say calling donating to charity "trickery" is pretty misleading, but the point is well taken. 

It's trickery because the donation is in many cases, going to be accidental.  I accidentally signed up for Amazon Prime because I clicked the big prominent link at check out that said "YES SIGN UP FOR AMAZON PRIME" instead of the tiny "No thanks" one.

Normal
Small
Posted by dgoodchild

The ONLY reason to use an opt-out strategy is to collect donations from people who don't notice the checkbox. That's trickery. If you believe people will wish to donate at checkout then there's no reason NOT to make it opt-in.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I do agree that the opt-out is often used to trick those who don't thoroughly read what they're signing up for.  One could argue that folks clicking 'I Agree' (or the equivalent) should probably be thoroughly reading whatever it is they're agreeing to, but even so I've seen opt-out tick marks that are hard to spot. 

That said, I can't see any valid argument against an opt-in option for those that would wish to donate while purchasing their badge.  It's convenient and folks are likely to help those in need by tossing a $1 donation into a purchase where they're spending a great deal more money with a simple click of the mouse button to say 'Yes'.  How exactly does this offend those who aren't interested?

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg

I love when people start making a suggestion of making an "Automatic" choice for others. Especially when it comes to "Charity".

The whole point of one donating to Charity is - it's their choice. And to put an automatic checked box that one must be observant of or have a "Donation" taken that they may have not wanted to make is no longer Charity. It's dishonest and a form of theft.

Put it another-way. You go on a site like Steam.com. You buy a game and DL and as you're completing the payment process, you don't notice a box on the payment screen that says "A $10 charge is granted for political donations" and it's to a politician you don't support. But you fail in noticing that box and complete the purchase before you realize the charge. Still happy and agree that it was a "Donation"? I doubt it.

Then there is the whole thing about donations to Charities when it comes to businesses.

You guys do realize it's nothing more then a Tax right-off for the business who took your money to give to the charity. That is why they do it.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Exactly Gib..  Giving to charity SHOULD be one's choice.  When its being forced, its no longer charity.

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx

Speaking of charity- has Gencon ever auctioned off a VIG as part of the charity auction?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post