Security...
Normal
Small
Posted by theo.brinkman

I last (and first) came to GenCon a couple years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was to get in compared to other large events I've attended.
Then, last year at a Phoenix Comicon, 'the incident' happened, and a lot of conventions have been upping the security game.  Banning cosplay weapons that look to real, or even banning cosplay weapons altogether.

I have soft plans to bring a fairly involved project with me this year, but it will depend on just how much of a hassle entry will be with all the literal baggage involved in transporting it to/from the hotel.

What was it like last year?  What will it be like this year?
Bag searches every time we enter the convention center?  Metal detectors?  Pat downs?

Or is it basically the same, but with less leeway on what's considered an acceptable prop 'weapon'?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Last year was the same as prior years. No change in policies and a breeze to access like always.

Gen Con is not a convention that involves much time in lines. Thank goodness!

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg austicke

austicke wrote:
Last year was the same as prior years. No change in policies and a breeze to access like always.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:Unfortunately you know as well as the rest. It's only a mater of time.

We'll have to disagree about that. I've seen Gen Con staff consistently make good decisions and not panic over the latest news story or fan uproar. I trust that future Gen Cons will be run as well as the last 16 I've attended.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager austicke

austicke wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:Unfortunately you know as well as the rest. It's only a mater of time.

We'll have to disagree about that. I've seen Gen Con staff consistently make good decisions and not panic over the latest news story or fan uproar. I trust that future Gen Cons will be run as well as the last 16 I've attended._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
They also have their policy on what is proper cosplay and what isn't posted around the ICC and in the big book. Its pretty clear. If it looks real, its a no go, if it looks like a toy, it is OK. I've only gone two years, and do not cosplay, but I've never seen a hassle of it yet.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Costume & Weapon policies can be found here:

https://www.gencon.com/attend/policies

If you're in doubt about your props/costumes you can always email customerservice@gencon.com with an image of your prop/costume and we will let you know if it is okay or not.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 austicke

austicke wrote:

We'll have to disagree about that. I've seen Gen Con staff consistently make good decisions and not panic over the latest news story or fan uproar. I trust that future Gen Cons will be run as well as the last 16 I've attended._____________________________________

Dude, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for consistently providing useful info here while always maintaining a calm, reasonable demeanor.  It is appreciated. 

[Same goes for Mike Boozer and the other official Gen Con responders.]

Normal
Small
Posted by robbo theo.brinkman

theo.brinkman wrote:
I last (and first) came to GenCon a couple years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was to get in compared to other large events I've attended.
Then, last year at a Phoenix Comicon, 'the incident' happened, and a lot of conventions have been upping the security game.  Banning cosplay weapons that look to real, or even banning cosplay weapons altogether.
I have soft plans to bring a fairly involved project with me this year, but it will depend on just how much of a hassle entry will be with all the literal baggage involved in transporting it to/from the hotel.
Bag searches every time we enter the convention center?  Metal detectors?  Pat downs?
Or is it basically the same, but with less leeway on what's considered an acceptable prop 'weapon'?

theo.brinkman wrote:

Uh what incident?

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Someone got arrested at Phoenix Comicon for bringing multiple firearms.  Sounds like it was a mental health issue. 

But this was before last year's Gen Con.  If that was going to have an effect on Gen Con, you'd think it would have done so last year.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

As someone who attend 5+ pop culture conventions every year, entrance and security at GenCon are the smoothest, and this convention has the most pleasant entrance experience. I hope that continues rather than bowing to the pressures of 'security theatre' as some cons have done.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke matthias9

matthias9 wrote:Dude, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for consistently providing useful info here while always maintaining a calm, reasonable demeanor.  It is appreciated. 

Aw, thanks. That's nice of you to say.

I've been trying to stop tilting at windmills and use less snark, but I don't always succeed.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke robbo

robbo wrote:Uh what incident?

www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+comic+con+gunman

​​​​​​​_____________________________________

Normal
Small
Posted by theo.brinkman

All good information.  Thanks guys.

My prop isn't a weapon of any sort.  It's a droid.
But the anticipated transportation mechanism is a wheeled toolbox with a bunch of compartments with stuff like batteries and spare parts.  If entry was going to involve bag searches, or the like, it was definitely going to be too much of a hassle to deal with.

Normal
Small
Posted by robbo austicke

austicke wrote:

www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+comic+con+gunman_____________________________________
austicke wrote:

www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+comic+con+gunman​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Thanks
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord austicke

austicke wrote:

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord austicke

New Post Sign in to write a new post.