Auction question.
Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

So they have an auction.  I poked my head in there last year.  And many years ago at Gencon 2004, I hung out with a distant cousin who spends a lot of time at the GenCon auction.  I might try it out.  There is some old TSR stuff I'd like to get my hands on if it's available.  Sure we have Ebay and Amazon Marketplace, but an old fashioned auction could be fun.

So do they provide a listing of what's available and approximate times that bidding will start?  I can't remember from last year because I didn't really research GenCon much before attending.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

The list times by category of item, so you can somewhat plan based on that.  You can also often find old stuff in the consignment store...I annually prowl through there looking for old BECMI D&D stuff I don't have.

Normal
Small
Posted by wiles01

Honestly, I've had more fun sometimes just hanging out in the Auction room.  The auctioneers are full of gaming knowledge and several are extremely hilarious with their presentations, "What's in the box?!?"  LOL

I spend more than 1/2 my time there in the auction room usually.  For entertainment value and sometimes you can get a steal on a game no one else is bidding on.

Normal
Small
Posted by cosmicpower

last year was my first gen con and first auction. ill tell you,  we were not prepared. We got excited over the games they had and we ran out of space to carry everything. It was fun though and will do again.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric wiles01

wiles01 wrote:
Honestly, I've had more fun sometimes just hanging out in the Auction room.  The auctioneers are full of gaming knowledge and several are extremely hilarious with their presentations, "What's in the box?!?"  LOL
I spend more than 1/2 my time there in the auction room usually.  For entertainment value and sometimes you can get a steal on a game no one else is bidding on.
Some of the auctioneers are just fantastic. I once watched one go into all these details about different printings of Risk. If you find gaming history interesting you can learn a lot just by listening to the auction.

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx

The auction is great.  I love going and hearing the stories of some of the random items for sale.  
Saturday's TOVA auction is usually the most attended time of the auction and I believe many really look forward to this portion of the auction.
Usually a tentative schedule of items by theme is posted early into the con and they do their best to stick to it.  One of the nice things they often do is allow you to request an item to go up sooner so you can bid on it provided its within the scheduled theme.  

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Ben Pierce has been putting together A Beginner's Guide to the Gen Con Auction if anyone is interested. It's in the Fans of Gen Con Facebook group files section.

Normal
Small
Posted by genconkeeper

The Tentative Schedule is published outside the doors usually on Wednesday afternoon.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I really should put together a pile of my old games and drop them at the auction.  Just taking up space in my basement.  I don't particularly need to make money on them.  Just find em a good home

New Post Sign in to write a new post.