Asmodee acquires Mayfair / Lookout Games
Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

All hail Asmodee,

Well it finally happened. I think it was at least half expected when Mayfair sold the rights to one of the biggest and well known board games of all time. Mayfair is now out the board game industry and Lookout is owned by Asmodee.

This will be a huge change to Gen Con as Mayfair had as big of presence as anyone at the con in both the exhibit hall and at LOS last year. We spent a lot of time doing their ribbon collection and it will stink to see all of that go away. Though I did start to wonder why Mayfair hadn't been announced as a Gen Con 2018 Co-Sponsor like they had been many years before.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/73620/asmodee-acquires-lookout-games-and-mayfair-games

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes

This will definitely be a talking point during the annual FFG "In-Flight Report" this year at Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by grellden

a massive change indeed.

I hope Asmodee will step in to fill the area, Mayfair had lots of top notch games and excellent support 

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote: ...Mayfair is now out the board game industry...
It's even more than that.  Mayfair is wrapping up business and sold all their assets.

Normal
Small
Posted by kschmidt

Down go the greats...Avalon Hill...Yaquinto...SPI...and now Mayfair.

My youth...and adult life are quickly evaporating.

Thanks for the years, Larry and Darwin.

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba

Now I have no idea how to start my con. I always did the first part of the ribbon quest as soon as the hall opened. Best of luck to Larry and the team!

Normal
Small
Posted by ang_adj bithlord

bithlord wrote:
It's even more than that.  Mayfair is wrapping up business and sold all their assets.
What?!?  Going out of business??  Say it isn't so . . . .

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

I'm hoping for some improvements with this change.  For one, Mayfair always had a large presence at Gen Con but I hated how they ran their games.  Essentially if you bought tickets to play their games they would hand the game out to you, tell you what table you were assigned, and then tell you it was up to you to read the rules and figure out how to play.  I never understood this approach as it seemed that everyone else (or at least most others) had an individual "gamemaster" assigned to actually run and teach the games. 

Also, I've played Catan and it is a great game IMO however I do not own it and won't unless it gets re-printed with some quality improvements.  I've always thought the components in Asmodee games were done well.  I'm hopeful they will improve Catan's components with a new release.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
I'm hoping for some improvements with this change.  For one, Mayfair always had a large presence at Gen Con but I hated how they ran their games.  Essentially if you bought tickets to play their games they would hand the game out to you, tell you what table you were assigned, and then tell you it was up to you to read the rules and figure out how to play.  I never understood this approach as it seemed that everyone else (or at least most others) had an individual "gamemaster" assigned to actually run and teach the games. 
Also, I've played Catan and it is a great game IMO however I do not own it and won't unless it gets re-printed with some quality improvements.  I've always thought the components in Asmodee games were done well.  I'm hopeful they will improve Catan's components with a new release.
Um, you know Asmodee bought Catan in 2016 and did release a new addition right? Catan Studios is an Asmodee property.

Also if you went to the dealer hall area of Mayfair they had the style of teaching games you were looking for.

I really enjoyed Mayfair at Gen Con, especially the ribbon collection. That got you free swag, a 50% off coupon, and tickets to a raffle for more free stuff. Plus they have had clearance racks with games $4-7. I'll hate to see all of that gone.

Lookout Games have lots of good games, and I am interested to see where they go from here under the Asmodee banner.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
Um, you know Asmodee bought Catan in 2016 and did release a new addition right? Catan Studios is an Asmodee property.Also if you went to the dealer hall area of Mayfair they had the style of teaching games you were looking for.
I really enjoyed Mayfair at Gen Con, especially the ribbon collection. That got you free swag, a 50% off coupon, and tickets to a raffle for more free stuff. Plus they have had clearance racks with games $4-7. I'll hate to see all of that gone.
Lookout Games have lots of good games, and I am interested to see where they go from here under the Asmodee banner.
I did not know that.  Oh well, I can still hope for a new release with better components... until then, I just won't own the game.  Thanks for the head's up though!

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

The more you know .gif

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord ang_adj

ang_adj wrote:
bithlord wrote:
What?!?  Going out of business??  Say it isn't so . . . .
Not going out of business, went out of business.  Or, more accurately, sold the brand to Asmodee.  I'm sure Asmodee will keep producing stuff under that brand.  From what I understand it's simply a matter of the owners wanting to retire and selling it off so they can.

I certainly won't begrudge someone who has made a good enough nest egg to retire actually doing so.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.