Opening Ceremony time?
Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

I know GenCon start on 02 AUG, but I can't seem to find anywhere that list the actual opening time.

Trying to decide if I want to fly in early Thursday or on Wednesday and not worry about it.

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

Wednesday night is nice so you aren’t rushing around getting settled before events start. There are Wednesday events as well (like Stink). Thursday events often start before the opening ceremony as well. The opening ceremony is pretty cool to check out, though.

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba

The "opening ceremony" is just before 10am on Thursday, right before the doors to the dealer hall open. It's a nice little thing to watch while waiting. Gaming starts Wednesday afternoon.

Normal
Small
Posted by ang_adj

I personally recommend arriving on Wednesday. It gives you time to check into your hotel, get your bearings, peruse activities, REST. Activities start early on Thursday, so by arriving in town the day before, you can get plenty of rest & start the convention fresh. This can be a HUGE advantage, considering it is a four day marathon!  :)

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Coming from the West coast, a Wed arrival is a must, since I leave at 6am (my time) and arrive at 5pm (gencon time).

There is no way to get from West coast to east coast anytime before the late afternoon unless you fly an overnight (and there aren't many of those).

But yeah, arrive Wed. for sure.  (and I personally fly out on Monday. Airport isn't as nuts, I can relay Sunday Night and not lost part of a day)

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Add another vote to come in on wednesday..  Not only does it let you go through the will call lines and pick all your stuff up, hopefully without a mass of bodies to go through, and thus you have thme before you start gaming, but you can to a lot more..  such as settle into your room, get a decent meal..  Go shopping elsewhere to get snacks...

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I would only recommend an early Thursday arrival if money is really tight and you want to save on the hotel costs for Wednesday night. I used to do that back in my early 20s when I had the young constitution to handle it. But expect to be beat Thursday night.

I'm not sure nostalgia is the right word for my memories of leaving Michigan at 2 AM on Thursday morning to get to Milwaukee about 7 AM.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Tuesday is the new Wednesday. :)

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr austicke

austicke wrote
Tuesday is the new Wednesday. :)
​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

So true. Our group has gone from arriving Wednesday so that we are fresh and ready for Thursday to arriving Tuesday so that we are fresh and ready for Wednesday.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

In another 4 years or so, maybe Monday becomes the new tuesday!

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba garhkal

garhkal wrote:
In another 4 years or so, maybe Monday becomes the new tuesday!

What day is it? Won't you please tell me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPSmFhmhJ4

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

When I told my wife that I wasn't doing Trade Day this year, she asked if that meant we weren't leaving on Tuesday. We are still coming up Tuesday, it just means I'll get to spend all day Wednesday gaming instead of doing seminars.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

We used to come in on Wednesday, but felt too rushed, so last year, we arrived on Tuesday. It was WONDERFUL...check in was a breeze, getting settled and rested was really nice, too. Restaurants were much less busy, and it feels like the calm before the storm. Anticipation is high and everyone is excited and ready to game. We drive down from West Michigan, so only around 5 1/2 hours or so with stops (4 1/2 hour drive, according to the High Lord Google of the Maps), but that extra evening to chillax makes all of the difference. 

Staying over until Monday is a given. Getting out of downtown is much easier, and we can be leisurely over breakfast. 

I think that we forgot that this was a vacation for a couple years, and did GenCon like it was our job. Our new vacay way is SO MUCH better.

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

Thanks for all the advice, especially the "vacation" part. I may have to extend my stay a day in both directions!

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

when i was active duty and stationed overseas, i would always take leave from Tuesday to Tuesday.  So i could fly in tues night, sleep and get a good meal wed, get tickets etc..  Then fly back out Monday, and have some rest, before going back to work.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord divachelle

divachelle wrote:
We used to come in on Wednesday, but felt too rushed, so last year, we arrived on Tuesday. It was WONDERFUL...check in was a breeze, getting settled and rested was really nice, too. Restaurants were much less busy, and it feels like the calm before the storm. Anticipation is high and everyone is excited and ready to game. We drive down from West Michigan, so only around 5 1/2 hours or so with stops (4 1/2 hour drive, according to the High Lord Google of the Maps), but that extra evening to chillax makes all of the difference. 
Staying over until Monday is a given. Getting out of downtown is much easier, and we can be leisurely over breakfast. 
I think that we forgot that this was a vacation for a couple years, and did GenCon like it was our job. Our new vacay way is SO MUCH better.

Hah, we also used to drive down early Wednesday morning (because we just got up at the normal time) from Detroit area.  Then, three years ago we spent a pretty terrible Tuesday night/date night sitting around saying "why don't we just leave"... so starting two years ago we did.  

Drive down Tuesday right after work.  Get in to Indy around 11 or 12.  Sleep, all day Wednesday is a breeze.

Normal
Small
Posted by genconkeeper

People start lining up outside the Dealers Room around 8 or so to get a good spot for the Opening around 9:30 or 9:45 by Peter. Then the Doors open at 10:00am. "Now back in the Day" you could just roll in drunk from the Miller Brewery Tour, Check in at the hotel, stagger to pre-reg and wander around until dinner time. Ahhhh the salad days of Milwaukee. Tuesday is the new Wednesday.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

I figured I would give a different opinion.

In my experience, Tuesday is not the new Wednesday. Not much going on, really no gaming, of course it's been two years since I came on Tuesday, but I just see it as a day in Indianapolis. I would rather spend the extra hotel money on GenCon events and games. But everyone is different. I can see how Wednesday used to be the calm before the storm, but it's become part of the storm in many ways, so now Tuesday may be the "calm," but Wednesday is really still calm comparatively. 

To me, the relaxation of Tuesday night without dealing with the crowds can just be done in my hometown. 

I would highly recommend arriving as early as possible Wednesday, however. If and only if you cannot arrive early Wednesday (noon or before) I would come Tuesday night.

Staying through until Monday seems like another use of money that could have been better spent buying things. 

This all of course depends on flights. I drive in, so it's not a big issue.

Normal
Small
Posted by kregard

I am new to Gencon so I am quite confused when people talk about activities occurring on Wednesday. What exactly happens on Wednesdays if the convention opens on Thursday? I am going to be arrive Wednesday morning so if there is something to do prior to opening that would be some good info to know.

Normal
Small
Posted by it can be fun to run away kregard

kregard wrote:
I am new to Gencon so I am quite confused when people talk about activities occurring on Wednesday. What exactly happens on Wednesdays if the convention opens on Thursday? I am going to be arrive Wednesday morning so if there is something to do prior to opening that would be some good info to know.

Wednesday is sort of Day Zero of Gen Con. 
I don't think there is much happening in the Convention Centre itself, but there are events ( ticketed, but at no cost? ) happening elsewhere.

The High Programmer site for last year should give you an idea;

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2017.cgi/

Sign in to write a new post. New Post