Gencon on Tuesday
Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
Do I need to buy a ticket to get a celery stalk, or can I use generics?

Definitely a ticketed event... 

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca

Loved Mike's post, but he doesn't say where we pick up those green "celery stalk" badge ribbons. Is it Will Call? Pre-reg? Where?

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

Celery stalks are going to be the "chemlight batteries","grid squares", or "B. A. 1100 NST Rings" of this year's GenCon.

I'm already chuckling.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust ubermx

ubermx wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
divachelle wrote:
Tuesday, at least for us, is the calm before the storm. We do our 5-ish hour drive, get to our hotel, get our room and get settled. Then we mosey around a bit and find somewhere to eat dinner. More leisurely moseying back to the hotel and maybe a dip in the pool or hot tub. Then, some light gaming in the room and snacks/dessert. 
We added Tuesday to our trip last year, as we ran some games at Scotty's all day Wednesday, and wanted to be settled and fresh for the day. It worked out great, and we'll be doing it this way from now on.
We also stay through Monday so we can leave after the giant sucking noise of everyone fleeing the con for home is mostly done. Traffic is better, we're well-rested and can choose to be a little more leisurely again before getting the vehicle loaded and heading out for home.

Sounds a bit like how my GenCon trip last year shook out. Tuesday was an accidental addition (had to add that to get a good deal on a downtown room), but I found it relieved a ton of stress. Plus, it was nice to have time to just mess around in the Circle Center Mall's arcade.
father bloodlust wrote:
divachelle wrote:
Tuesday, at least for us, is the calm before the storm. We do our 5-ish hour drive, get to our hotel, get our room and get settled. Then we mosey around a bit and find somewhere to eat dinner. More leisurely moseying back to the hotel and maybe a dip in the pool or hot tub. Then, some light gaming in the room and snacks/dessert. 
We added Tuesday to our trip last year, as we ran some games at Scotty's all day Wednesday, and wanted to be settled and fresh for the day. It worked out great, and we'll be doing it this way from now on.
We also stay through Monday so we can leave after the giant sucking noise of everyone fleeing the con for home is mostly done. Traffic is better, we're well-rested and can choose to be a little more leisurely again before getting the vehicle loaded and heading out for home.

Sounds a bit like how my GenCon trip last year shook out. Tuesday was an accidental addition (had to add that to get a good deal on a downtown room), but I found it relieved a ton of stress. Plus, it was nice to have time to just mess around in the Circle Center Mall's arcade.
There is an arcade??

Oh yeah :) Arcade + lazer tag + mini golf (haven't done the latter two though). Just take the escalator that's in the food court.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Hey, here is my schedule. It's kind of light.
I come in on Saturday and have dinner with some Indy friends and colleagues. I sleep 7 glorious hours.
Sunday I go to the ICC and make sure my shipments and set up is going well for Fulfillment, CS (Customer Service), Will Call, Event Registration, VIG's, Remote Reg., Button Program, Event Team HQ, and the like. 10 hours later I grab some dinner. Then I go back to check on things again. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I sleep 6 glorious hours.
Monday I (My staff) get fulfillment up and running. They print badges and tickets and sort them into Will Call. Will Call boxes are laid out and new envelopes are sorted into them. I go to a production meeting. I check to see how the tech side of all of these Monday places is going. Computers, printers, scanners, ticket stock, badge stock, celery stalks (Just checking to see if anyone is reading this). I go to dinner. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I sleep 5 glorious hours. 
Tuesday I check in on show emails and areas of concern in the morning, troubleshoot any areas of concern and take care of known issues. I go to a production meeting. I go to some receptions and mingle. I like mingling. There are some training's and a meeting with Senior Event Team members. I adjust schedules while making sure all of the Temp workers have the right credentials and assignments. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 4 glorious hours. 
Wednesday I check in on the VIG lounge which opens. Will Call opens at Noon. I check the line and time it. I make sure the spice (I mean line) flows. I check all the areas that are open multiple times and troubleshoot. I go to a production meeting. I recheck everything. I grab some dinner. I go back and check in everywhere. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 4 glorious hours. 
Thursday - Sunday I make sure the spice is flowing everywhere. All registrations and areas I'm responsible for are open. I make my way through all of them checking all day on their operations. I check on Temps, I check on Staff, I check on LOS, I check on emails. I go to a Production meeting. I go back to my room and cry for about 10 minutes. I get a hold of myself and address any issues that have cropped up. I try and hang out in several areas all at once and wrangle lines so that there are no lines. I grab some dinner somewhere. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 2-4 glorious hours. 
Monday I fly home. I sleep 10 glorious hours.
That's my Con! Look me up for a game sometime I would love to play!
While you may always have to politely decline, I would like to at least shake your hand and say thank you. That schedule sounds crazy! Thank you for all you do to make Gen Con run as well as it does!

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Someone should make Mike a game he can play while he's doing all those things...some sort of convention staff Bingo or something...

Normal
Small
Posted by daveculp rayken

rayken wrote:
To expand on what I wrote, in general, I get GenCon "Fatigue" by Saturday night, usually check in on Wednesday, so my feelings on Tuesday are different.
I can't imagine coming on Tuesdays and starting then, especially since there is not much going on. 
Some people come Monday and that's just overkill to me. I think they spend that day doing other stuff downtown though, but, I can't imagine being in Indianapolis for 6 or 7 days straight, 4 of them just gaming. 

I used to come in as early as Saturday.  We used it as a family vacation, me, my wife and daughter would do other things (zoo, children's museum etc...).  My wifes family lives in Illinois about 90 minutes away.  Her mother would come and pick her and my daughter up on Tuesday leaving me free for Gen Con from Tues - Sun.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

Tuesday is the old wednesday. Came in on Tuesday last year and loved it. 

Normal
Small
Posted by kevinrg

I started coming in on Tuesdays 2 years ago.  I used to drive in on Wednesdays, but after get into Indy mid afternoon, just felt like I was starting off tired.  Nothing much on Tuesdays, but I'm starting off not tired.  Had alot more energy by the end of day Saturday than I usually do at least.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Mike, if you're wearing a celery stalk, does that mean that you're the Fifth Doctor?

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

My wife and I drive up Tuesday, and we play boardgames that evening at the house of a friend who lives in Indy. We then stay at a cheaper hotel out by the airport, and drive in to downtown Wednesday morning. We've never had an issue checking in at 9ish on Wednesday.

Normal
Small
Posted by maerada

My husband and I started going down on Tuesdays two years ago after the previous year we realized that after we dropped the kids off at Grandma's and Grandpa's Tuesday afternoon all we wanted to do was head down to Indy.  We generally get into Indy around 10pm Tuesday so we just check into the hotel and unpack our van.  Wednesday we wander around downtown, get breakfast, pick up drinks from Bee's Roasters and enjoy the calm before the storm of GenCon.  

Normal
Small
Posted by shibas

Arriving on Tuesday has been a staple for a while now. The first few times I'd arrive on Wednesday and wander around that day, then I found out about KFC Wednesday.. That moved be back to arriving on Tuesday, there are a lot fewer people around that day for sure, but it gives time to look around and settle in before everything started.  Then leaving on Monday, no mad mouse race out Sunday night, no rush to pack up the hotel room, no issue taking time in the vendor hall, and one last meal somewhere in the area.. Not to mention a little bit of sleep before a 15ish hr drive back to Boston!

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I don't have any issues with arriving on Wednesday. We get there around 2-3 PM. Still plenty of time to check it, get settled and start to look around and investigate the con.

Also everyone talks about the rat race out of Indy on Sunday, but I've never had a problem getting out of town around 6-7PM.

These times work for us, but I understand everybody likes different things.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I've never seen really bad traffic when leaving on Sunday either, but my wife and I are usually pretty tired and missing our cats by Sunday afternoon. So we tend to head out at about 3ish in order to get home by dinner time, with our 3 hour drive. I don't think I've been around until the exhibit hall officially closes in years.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager ryric

ryric wrote:
I've never seen really bad traffic when leaving on Sunday either, but my wife and I are usually pretty tired and missing our cats by Sunday afternoon. So we tend to head out at about 3ish in order to get home by dinner time, with our 3 hour drive. I don't think I've been around until the exhibit hall officially closes in years.
It really feels like the con dies around 3PM. The last two years all we have done in the afternoon on Sunday is run from place to place for raffles, but with Mayfair gone, that takes a big one out of the running.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
ryric wrote:
It really feels like the con dies around 3PM. The last two years all we have done in the afternoon on Sunday is run from place to place for raffles, but with Mayfair gone, that takes a big one out of the running.
There was a really fun Rear Guard open gaming event at the JW last year on Sunday night. We met some great people, played a wide variety of games and had a wonderful time. I"m hoping we do it again this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
ryric wrote:
Yeah I'm usually done and on the way to the airport by then.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Part of it's the math. If you start work again Monday, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I want enough time to sleep the night before, which means leaving early enough for the drive home to HAVE the time to sleep.
We usually just schedule one game in the not-break-of-day morning, some dealer hall time and that's it.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam braewe

braewe wrote:
Part of it's the math. If you start work again Monday, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I want enough time to sleep the night before, which means leaving early enough for the drive home to HAVE the time to sleep.
We usually just schedule one game in the not-break-of-day morning, some dealer hall time and that's it.
The only good thing about flying is that I gain time flying home. Which helps with getting to bed at a reasonable time.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post