Badge Sales Up From Last Year & Indy Contract Extended
Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

TLDR; Badge sales are up 6% from last year and Gen Con has extended its agreement to stay in Indianapolis until at least 2022.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/37525707/gen-con-extends-with-indianapolis

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

I realize this will be met with mixed reactions but I think it is great news. The convention being popular and healthy is a great sign for the con and our hobby. I also think Indy is a good home for Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

Glad to hear both of those news items!  I really liked Indy when I visited last summer - the people were nice, the convention center was amazing and the connected hotels were a huge plus.  Here's to a great Gen Con 51!

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

More interested in the long run on those badge sales, could slow down later and this could be a reflection of the sell out from 2017.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

That is good news.  Indy is a great place to have Gen Con.  

Normal
Small
Posted by kainferal

I think it is just people buying tickets earlier to get housing lottery chances and since it sold out last year.  

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

Badge sales aren't going to exceed last year this year, or if they do it will just be because Gen Con announces a sell out of 4 day badges like they did last year while still selling each of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badges.

I'm sure the pace has been faster this year due to the scare they put into people last year with the sellout.

I'm sure it will sell out again this year, even sooner.

2018 will mark 2 years of declining attendance in a row, preceded by a year or two of flat attendance, which is honestly fine, but don't buy the hype that attendance is driving the sell out.

I would get your 4 day badge if you know you're going before they sell out and you end up paying more for 2+ one day badges or cutting your trip short.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Kind of curious if badges refunded are added back into the system. Surely they are?

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Maybe I should stop dilly dallying and get my badge!

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Just goes to show you how much the new changes helped the housing lottery. Rooms lasted an hour and a half later this year with more early badges sold.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

It feels like there was a freak out over badges selling out last year, so more people jumped to get their badges this year fearing a sellout. 
I think they will slow down now. 
BUT we shall see. 

Normal
Small
Posted by sodeak

In my opinion badges probably will sell out this year, due primarily to the fact that the group of people I go with usually number 10-12 and last year because of various conflicts (family weddings and the fact I was no longer able to pay for everyone’s room as their yearly birthday/Christmas present we were down to 5.  I’m more than willing to bet there were many more who faced similar situations, who’s places were taken by people who saw something being the 50th and going for the first time.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I am actually shocked that this year is close to sell out..  i was thinking last year's sellout, was just cause of the 50th anniversary.. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

Fact:  This was what the corner of Maryland and MLK used to look like before Gencon came to Indy:
https://fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/tours-img.jpg

Normal
Small
Posted by flamepulse mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:

2018 will mark 2 years of declining attendance in a row, preceded by a year or two of flat attendance, which is honestly fine, but don't buy the hype that attendance is driving the sell out.

?? if last years was record setting attendance then how will this year mark the second year i a row for declining attendance?

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:2018 will mark 2 years of declining attendance in a row, preceded by a year or two of flat attendance, which is honestly fine, but don't buy the hype that attendance is driving the sell out.

?? if last years was record setting attendance then how will this year mark the second year i a row for declining attendance?

GenCon's official attendance numbers only say 60,000+ for last year (in the press releases that I could find) so the poster is making an assumption that it's less than previous years despite the published turnstile numbers going against that assumption.

I find it weird that I can't find a concrete number for last year's unique attendance, but even so, I feel that the OP is overstating the case to make a point. 

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

FWIW, using the numbers that GenCon has published, the convention attendance experienced unprecedented growth between 2010 - 2015.  Since then it has leveled off, including last year's sellout.  The data suggests that 2016 was close to sellout.  Without a concrete number for 2017 to go on, it's hard to tell.  But it's fair to say that 2015 was the published high water mark at just over 61k and that since then there's been some sort of cap that would put the unique attendees somewhere in the same neighborhood.

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith

A couple years ago, they increased badge cost with the thought that it would flatten attendance. It seems to have done the job. They knew they were getting close to their self-imposed "cap" for attendance. 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks nialith

nialith wrote:
A couple years ago, they increased badge cost with the thought that it would flatten attendance. It seems to have done the job. They knew they were getting close to their self-imposed "cap" for attendance. 

It's not a self-imposed cap. GenCon staff have explicitly stated that last year's cap was due to fire marshal restrictions.  

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr brooks

brooks wrote:
nialith wrote:

It's not a self-imposed cap. GenCon staff have explicitly stated that last year's cap was due to fire marshal restrictions.  
Do you have a source for that? From the higher up staff I have talked to I don't think that's true.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post