Pre-conference game planning
Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin

I'm planning to run a Pathfinder one-shot on the Wednesday before the conference proper.  How do I go about locating a space and time for my Wednesday game?

I'll need a table for 4-5 hours, and I'd like to get that nailed down well in advance.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Somebody else here feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think event submission allows you to submit events that take place on Wednesday.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Yes but I don’t think for the main convention center.

Normal
Small
Posted by rbree

Re-fried Gamers is Taking over this year from Kentucky Fried Gamers.   We will be running games at Scotties and the Ram on Wednesday  between 9 Am and 5 PM .  I will be soliciting for GMs shortly ... next week I suspect.  So if you want to run with us that's and option.   

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

Last year, the local Pathfinder Society setup several tables by going through the GenGen Event process.  They were assigned space at Union Station I believe.  People could then "buy" zero cost tickets.

Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin

Hmm!  Good info, thanks.  I've got two players already -- my brother and a friend, both of whom I don't get much opportunity to play with because we live in different cities.  But I would need 2 or 3 more players to round out the party.  Does the event form let you reserve spots for people?

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon wdmartin

wdmartin wrote:
Hmm!  Good info, thanks.  I've got two players already -- my brother and a friend, both of whom I don't get much opportunity to play with because we live in different cities.  But I would need 2 or 3 more players to round out the party.  Does the event form let you reserve spots for people?

No but you can have them pick up tickets as soon as its posted, or you could just have 2-3 tickets available.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
wdmartin wrote:
No but you can have them pick up tickets as soon as its posted, or you could just have 2-3 tickets available.
If an event is listed for 2-3 people it will be put a a table that accommodates 2-3 people and possibly not more. Make sure you account for everyone when submitting the event.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi,

Yup, you can submit it into the system just like any other event.  We have some space for Wednesday "unofficial" events in Union Station, as other posters have indicated.  Those events are reviewed and placed after regular event submission, but in past years we've had ample space to accommodate most requests.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle rbree

rbree wrote:
Re-fried Gamers is Taking over this year from Kentucky Fried Gamers.   We will be running games at Scotties and the Ram on Wednesday  between 9 Am and 5 PM .  I will be soliciting for GMs shortly ... next week I suspect.  So if you want to run with us that's and option.   
Yay! We had a ton of fun running games there last year.

Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin

Okay, I have a concern about using the event system.  Scenario:

1) I put in an event for five people;
2) I get a time/table assigned;
3) Event registration opens up;
4) One or both of my two existing players fail to get a ticket before they're gone.

In my admittedly short experience, spots tend to go fast.  The events open up and POW, spaces are gone, just like that.

If such a thing were to happen, I would feel duty-bound to run the game anyway.  It wouldn't be fair to the people who signed up to cancel it.

But I'd really rather avoid that; I've already signed up to run three games during the conference proper for anyone who cares to show up, and I'm happy to do so.  But I want to be a little more selective for this one before the conference.  It's been five years since I last had an opportunity to play Pathfinder with my brother, and I really want to do so.

Normal
Small
Posted by alans wdmartin

wdmartin wrote:
2) I get a time/table assigned;
3) Event registration opens up;
4) One or both of my two existing players fail to get a ticket before they're gone.
In my admittedly short experience, spots tend to go fast.  The events open up and POW, spaces are gone, just like that.
If such a thing were to happen, I would feel duty-bound to run the game anyway.  It wouldn't be fair to the people who signed up to cancel it.
But I'd really rather avoid that; I've already signed up to run three games during the conference proper for anyone who cares to show up, and I'm happy to do so.  But I want to be a little more selective for this one before the conference.  It's been five years since I last had an opportunity to play Pathfinder with my brother, and I really want to do so.
Then you should plan to play in a hotel room or similar, or, if it's a 5 - person game, and you want to reserve 2 slots, put it in as a 3-person game, I guess.  You can't expect to both use Gen Con's services and space; and also host a private event.   :)

Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin alans

alans wrote:Then you should plan to play in a hotel room or similar [...]  You can't expect to both use Gen Con's services and space; and also host a private event.   :)

That's fair.  Just as a note, I didn't initially expect people to suggest using GenCon's event scheduler for the purpose; perhaps my initial post wasn't clear enough.  I just don't know Indianapolis well enough to know where to begin looking for space.  I've never done this before.

Does organizing it as a private event also preclude advertising for players in the GenCon forums?  If posting a call for players in the forums would violate the Terms of Service or something, I won't do it.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

Just do an unofficial pick-up event. There is plenty of gaming space in various hotel lobbies. Post on here ahead of time or on Twitter (#GenConPUG) that you are looking for players.

Normal
Small
Posted by donaldbain wdmartin

wdmartin wrote:
Put in an event for three people?

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

First, don't put in an event for three people when you plan on five. The three people who sign up may only /want/ an event for three, and you might not be allocated enough space for five.

Second, you can get a table to play by going to any HQ and /asking/ if they have a free table from x time to x time. Unless it's at a peak time on friday, chances are they /will/ have such a space, and then it will belong to you for that period of time. No muss no fuss!

<edit> Just 'snagging' a table without asking may work but chances are you'll get booted by whichever event is sheduled there...much better to ask at HQ and get the table assigned.

<edit 2> And if you need a couple more players, post here, on the facebook page, or if it's pathfinder, perhaps over there, to round out your party. The pathfinder area themselves may have extra tables (and players) too!

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon braewe

braewe wrote:
First, don't put in an event for three people when you plan on five. The three people who sign up may only /want/ an event for three, and you might not be allocated enough space for five.
Second, you can get a table to play by going to any HQ and /asking/ if they have a free table from x time to x time. Unless it's at a peak time on friday, chances are they /will/ have such a space, and then it will belong to you for that period of time. No muss no fuss!
<edit> Just 'snagging' a table without asking may work but chances are you'll get booted by whichever event is sheduled there...much better to ask at HQ and get the table assigned.
<edit 2> And if you need a couple more players, post here, on the facebook page, or if it's pathfinder, perhaps over there, to round out your party. The pathfinder area themselves may have extra tables (and players) too!

He’s asking about Wednesday which are not official events. So it’s an unofficial event. So it doesn’t matter.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
braewe wrote:
He’s asking about Wednesday which are not official events. So it’s an unofficial event. So it doesn’t matter.
not quite.  As per page 17 host event policy 

We accept a limited number of events for Wednesday. The convention still officially begins on Thursday. This is intended as a service to our attendees, volunteers, GMs and exhibitors who arrive early – it is a “by fans, for fans” initiative.
All Wednesday events are free and do not require a ticket. If you have open spots when the game starts, you can fill them in any manner that is fair to the attendees who have shown up to play.
Gen Con will provide space for Wednesday events, but nothing else. Other than a room and tables with chairs, no resources can be provided on Wednesday. This includes, but is not limited to, A/V requests. Wednesday events must be submitted just like any other event. Simply choose Wednesday as your preferred day.
Wednesday events are reviewed and placed after all other events scheduled for Thursday through Sunday but otherwise follow the same review and placement procedure as other events.
Space on Wednesday is extremely limited and not all events may be able to be accommodated.
Wednesday events do not provide any credit towards qualifying for a complimentary badge or hotel room, or any kind of reimbursement or payment.
Events must be of a limited scope reflecting the “by fans, for fans” ethos. Large-scale corporate events or demos are not permitted during Wednesday gaming.

Normal
Small
Posted by the orange mailman rbree

rbree wrote:
Hey, I'm not in the FB group.  My wife (divachelle) said you are looking for people to run games.  I'd like to run games at Scotties again.  Where do I post?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.