My obsessively detailed guide to Gen Con
Normal
Small
Posted by john3103

http://ocdforme.blogspot.com/2018/03/how-to-do-gen-con-like-pro_10.html

Intended for the complete Gen Con newbie, here's a step-by-step guide for planning a Gen Con trip.

Please don't hesitate to comment if you see something missing or that needs correction, I'm happy to make fixes. 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Great and informative article. Two quick things I noticed in the badge section, as far as I know FedEx is no longer a choice for having your badges shipped. Also demand for VIG badges has exploded and you can no longer just purchase them through the GenCon website. Current VIG members get the first chance to pick up one for the next year and the incredibly small number of remaining VIG badges are offered through a lottery system. 

Normal
Small
Posted by john3103 brooks

brooks wroteGreat and informative article. Two quick things I noticed in the badge section....

Thanks for the feedback! 

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer brooks

brooks wrote:
Great and informative article. Two quick things I noticed in the badge section, as far as I know FedEx is no longer a choice for having your badges shipped. Also demand for VIG badges has exploded and you can no longer just purchase them through the GenCon website. Current VIG members get the first chance to pick up one for the next year and the incredibly small number of remaining VIG badges are offered through a lottery system. 

We use USPS Priority mail for packet shipments.

Normal
Small
Posted by john3103 mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
brooks wrote:

We use USPS Priority mail for packet shipments.

Thanks for the confirmation - I've been writing this guide on-and-off for a couple years now, and back in the long-long-ago when I wrote that section, FedEx was an option. 

I've updated it now. 

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I would suggest adding NASCRAG as one of the bigger events. It is very easy to join in and little is required for those who want to play. It is a huge tournament lasting for 4 days of the show. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Thanks for the mention, Helen.  Technically, Nascrag only runs games Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (1 pm and 7 pm every day), unless you are counting the awards ceremony/party that usually runs until the early hours of Sunday morning.

We are one of the oldest (39 years) and rowdiest.  400-500 people probably doesn't rank us as one of the largest events though.  Lots of card tournaments are bigger for example.  I feel safe in saying we are  the biggest Roleplaying Tournament at Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by john3103 helenbb

helenbb wrote:I would suggest adding NASCRAG as one of the bigger events. It is very easy to join in and little is required for those who want to play. It is a huge tournament lasting for 4 days of the show. 

Thanks for the tip - I've added a blurb!

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity

Great article!

In the Family/Children section, you may want to add references to the "Family Fun Pavilion" and the "Training Grounds", which are Kid Ground Zero.  (Although now that they are in different places, how can they both be Zero?)   The field at Lucas Oil Stadium also had lots of great kids events. No word yet on if Gen Con will be on the field again, though.

True Dungeon is now located under the field in Lucas Oil Stadium. 

I'm not sure yet if Killer Breakfast will be back this year (although I certainly hope so!).

In the food section, vegetarian options include Noodles & Company, the Yardhouse, and (after a slight walk to City Market) my personal favorite, Three Carrots.  All of those are great for omnivores, too!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke hauntedcity

hauntedcity wrote:No word yet on if Gen Con will be on the field again, though. 

Yes, there has been. The field will be used again this year.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity austicke

austicke wrote:

Yes, there has been. The field will be used again this year._____________________________________

​​​​​​​Great news!  Thank you.

Normal
Small
Posted by john3103 austicke

austicke wrote:

Yes, there has been. The field will be used again this year._____________________________________

Thanks ya'll! I actually re-worded that bit to NOT include any details on where it will be. (Since the Gen Con universe is constantly in flux!)

I originally included the word 'ballroom' just to give a sense of scale.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

In the childcare area, I do not think babysitting is available anymore. I remember trying to find this last year, and was not able to do so.

Normal
Small
Posted by ar6474

THE VIG info has changed. I know you have the link already but you may want to update what you have listed

Gen Con 2018 VIG Program Details

Early Registration for returning 2017 VIGs.Early Renewal Price: $600

General Registration Price: $650
VIG Companion Badge $200 Also you only get 1 Companion Badge with every VIG

Normal
Small
Posted by aj_simon

Thank you!  I really appreciate the comprehensive advice.  I'm going to be a first-timer focused on the Writer's Symposium.  

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric aj_simon

aj_simon wrote:
Thank you!  I really appreciate the comprehensive advice.  I'm going to be a first-timer focused on the Writer's Symposium.  
My wife has really enjoyed several of the writing themed seminars in the past.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
In the childcare area, I do not think babysitting is available anymore. I remember trying to find this last year, and was not able to do so.

We no longer offer babysitting. 

From our FAQ:
Is there child care at Gen Con?
Gen Con does not provide child care services. For private child care, many attendees have used Sitters to the Rescue in the past and you can find information at www.sitterstotherescue.com. You can also check with your hotel as some offer child care services.

Normal
Small
Posted by john3103 mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

We no longer offer babysitting. From our FAQ:
Is there child care at Gen Con?
Gen Con does not provide child care services. For private child care, many attendees have used Sitters to the Rescue in the past and you can find information at www.sitterstotherescue.com. You can also check with your hotel as some offer child care services.

Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the GenCon with kids section accordingly. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aj_simon ryric

ryric wrote:
aj_simon wrote:
My wife has really enjoyed several of the writing themed seminars in the past.

That's good to know!  Thanks.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

In the section about other events, you might want to include the Orc Stomp 5k. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post