Auction?
Normal
Small
Posted by xrvx

I've always heard of there being an Auction for boardgames, but I have no idea how it works. Can anyone give me some information?

I've been trying to unload my Dominion set up until Empires on eBay but the shipping is just ridiculous even if I find someone interested. 

I've tried posting on the BGG boards for GenCon in the past, but it was sort of a last minute thing and ended up lugging the 10 boxes for no reason.

Gave the extra information just in case someone was going to suggest one of those options :) Im open for any options though. Sell/Trade 

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx

I am linking a previous post about the auction that has a very helpful like courtesy of austicke.  This should help you understand how it works.  
https://www.gencon.com/forums/8-attendees-customers/topics/13298-how-to-register-item-at-the-auction

My experience has always been very positive.  You must register your items before the con at the proper auction website (see the linked forum above).  It works best for me to bring the stuff I want to sell during the registration hours on Wednesday, that way I can still do things during the con.  You need to determine if you want your items to go up for the live auction or for sale in the store.  
If you choose live auction and the items don't sell or bidding doesn't reach the minimum price you set, you have the option to have the unsold items go to the store for another chance to be sold.  
If, at the end of Saturday, your items don't sell, you will either need to pick them back up (I think on Sunday) or leave them to be donated.  

Normal
Small
Posted by nephelim

At the risk of zombie-ing a thread, I recently came into a ton of games from an estate liquidation.  My question is, is it worthwhile to submit games for auction that are incomplete?  I have, for instance, a raft of tactical games from the early 70s by SPI, but I can't tell if they have a complete count of tokens.

Granted, it only costs $2 to enter an item, so as long as they make that much it is a win win... but I don't want to waste my time counting through tokens to determine if the set is complete...

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott

I would go to the auction website livegameauctions.com and download the excel sheet of last years results. You can see what sold and didn’t sell last year, and I think you can see the descriptions given by the sellers.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

Amplifying: You must register your items before the con

There is no on-site registration of items.

You must register and print out the auction tag yourself, and attach it.  Rubber bands you can tape to the auction tag are wonderful and show care not to affix tape to the box to those of us looking at the item.

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner

If you can certify that the game is complete, or specify what is missing, you will do far better than if you just try to put them in as unknown. Take a game a night and just sort through it while you are watching TV or whatever.

Rubber bands are OK to keep your boxes closed but us auctioneers hate it when you tape them to your tags.  Painters tape, the blue or green light adhesive kind, is your best bet for affixing both your auction tag and keeping your boxes closed. We go through several rolls of tape fixing all the tags that get shredded and broken rubber bands.

Seconding what cinnabar says: You must register your items before the con. We really will turn you away if you come with unregistered items, unless they are for the charity auction only. Also, item submission CLOSES the SUNDAY BEFORE THE CON, so that all the gear and systems can be packed up. So don't procrastinate. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.