$10 an hour for GenCon staff "volunteers"
Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Yeah, volunteering for True Dungeon comes with a downtown hotel room.  That's pretty sweet.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Several exhibitors (I could TD as one) who run many events will also do this downtown hotel space deal.  

I have spoken to several people who helped exhibitors and they got comp'd room downtown (sometimes +food).  Myself, I volunteer as a demo agent for Catalyst Game Labs, and that includes a hotel room downtown (no other compensation) shared with other agents.

For me it is well worth it, as my travel costs are higher.

Normal
Small
Posted by deltafox65

Last year was my first year actually volunteering to work the convention.  This was before I knew I was going to be paid.  So I can not attest to how it was previous years but I do know after volunteering at other conventions with no pay which ones I enjoyed more.  I enjoyed the feel and togetherness of being an unpaid volunteer.  I may be in the very small minority on this but I truly wish the old ways could hold up and Gen Con could reward volunteers with whatever they feel the volunteer would appreciate more.  Not everyone volunteering for GEN CON cares about a payday.  A badge, a room, and a feel of tight knit community is enough for some, or it was at least for me and seemed to be the case for a lot of people I was working with.  In the long run I think this sets the standard for smaller conventions which may not have as deep as pockets as Gen Con to pay their volunteers as well.  They may be for profit organizations but at the same time they usually invest most profits back into the fandom they love.  We will have to see how this affect the convention landscape overall.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 nascragman

nascragman wrote:
Yeah, volunteering for True Dungeon comes with a downtown hotel room.  That's pretty sweet.

They also get a cash stipend, and a collectible token that can usually be sold for 100+.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
nascragman wrote:

They also get a cash stipend, and a collectible token that can usually be sold for 100+.

Usually being the phrase there, how bad are Amulet's of the Hero or Tanzanite sphere's...

I 'volunteer' a fair few conventions anymore and do it mostly because I truly enjoy it as it's my time to interact with people in a positive atmosphere vs my day job. 

My general rule of thumb of do I or do I not sign up to volunteer is 'am i loosing money'. I don't necessarily make any profit but I'm need to not loose my shirt financially while volunteering. Especially if i have heavy travel expenses involved.

Normal
Small
Posted by arriannarere

Actually it takes 15 hours to pay for your badge. Last year I worked 16 hours and made $132 after taxes. My badge was $110 so I made $22 and got to go to gencon for free. I live in Indy so that was my biggest expense besides parking. So technically you get like $10-30 bucks and your badge reimbursed a week later. With the price rise and me forgetting to get my badge early I'll be making $13 after I take out the badge.

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

Sorry for the necromancy (though it is not like the forums are so active that it is too cluttery), but this thread has given me the answer as to why my Auction volunteer badge started saying "Gamemaster" recently :P

New Post Sign in to write a new post.