Noob Question
Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

First time attending this year and I had a question. One of my group's favorite things at our local con is the game library where you can check out and play games. Is this a thing at Gen Con? If so, how does it work (cost, hours, etc)? I'm trying to figure out if I want to try schedule a block of time for us to use the library.

4 more months!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Yes, Gen Con has a huge game library. More info here.

Below are the costs from last year.

Gen Con Games Library & Pick-Up Play
Thu 8:00 am - Thu 6:00 pm $4.00
Thu 6:00 pm - Fri 4:00 am $8.00
Fri 8:00 am - Fri 6:00 pm $6.00
Fri 6:00 pm - Sat 4:00 am $8.00
Sat 8:00 am - Sat 6:00 pm $6.00
Sat 6:00 pm - Sun 4:00 am $8.00
Sun 8:00 am - Sun 4:00 pm $4.00

Gen Con Games Library Weekend Pass
Thu 8:00 am - Sun 4:00 pm $40.00

Normal
Small
Posted by vinnay

BoardGameGeek has also hosted a "Hot Games" Library the past two years. $2.00 tickets for a two hour time block running from 10am until Midnight every day (4pm on Sunday).

Hope they do it again, they had a great selection of new and "hot" games on hand. The Event was called "BGG Hot Games Room" and was listed under the "Isle of Misfit Events" category in the events catalog.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

You may want to make a list of what games you'd like to test out and check out the dealer's hall as well. Many of the games you want to see may be demoed by their respective companies.

(Of course, they will also offer to sell you a copy too...)

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

You might want to check out Rio Grande's room , free to play, they are open the whole time,  the volunteers are great, and they have drinks and snacks! It's on the second floor of the convention center.
I Love this room, they have such a wide selection of games that we always are able to find something to play. 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Previously Mayfair was a great place to play games for free as well. But sadly they shut down.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle bakermouse10133

bakermouse10133 wrote:
You might want to check out Rio Grande's room , free to play, they are open the whole time,  the volunteers are great, and they have drinks and snacks! It's on the second floor of the convention center.
I Love this room, they have such a wide selection of games that we always are able to find something to play. 
+1 on this. The RGR is my ice refill stop.

Normal
Small
Posted by crusader77

I've always wanted to stroll in ther and try a game or two out, but everyone seemed so busy that I didn't end up bothering. Really hoping to do so this year though

Normal
Small
Posted by cjgorilladog

In the games library there on the field of Lucas Oil Field, if I'm correct you can't actually "CHECK THE GAMES OUT"...they have to stay there in the area to play them, correct?

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

Yes, you check the games out from the shelves and on to the tables.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.