Location Changes
Normal
Small
Posted by danmcneill

I've been playing in the same event run by Rogue Judges for the past 10 years and it has always been in the main board game hall.  I'm seeing it listed as taking place in Lucas Oil, but many other board game events are still listed as ICC.  Do we know if these locations are set in stone yet?  Has a site map for the con been created yet or is it too early?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi Dan,

Rogue Judges, and some other large established gaming groups, are indeed in Lucas Oil Stadium.  I don't like to say things are set in stone, because you never know (plague of locusts, fissure in time and space causing some event locations to disappear into another dimension, a rogue portable hole going astray, giant wasp's nest in LOS no one wants to beat down, etc....), but, if an event has a location, it's very likely to remain there.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by danmcneill marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi Dan,
Rogue Judges, and some other large established gaming groups, are indeed in Lucas Oil Stadium.  I don't like to say things are set in stone, because you never know (plague of locusts, fissure in time and space causing some event locations to disappear into another dimension, a rogue portable hole going astray, giant wasp's nest in LOS no one wants to beat down, etc....), but, if an event has a location, it's very likely to remain there.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate it.  I have some other questions, do you have an email address I can write to?  Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick danmcneill

danmcneill wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi Dan,
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate it.  I have some other questions, do you have an email address I can write to?  Thanks!

Send it to Events@GenCon.com. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

All the fun stuff is happening in Lucas Oil anyway.  :-)

Like Nascrag!

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott

I didn't have a reason to pay close attention last year, but my memory of walking back to the ICC from LOS is that you get to the end of the hall and are faced with stairs or an escalator. Were there elevators hiding somewhere around there as well?

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi Dan,
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Marian,
Does this mean that events that do not yet have locations assigned are NOT likely to be in LOS?

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle nscott

nscott wrote:
I didn't have a reason to pay close attention last year, but my memory of walking back to the ICC from LOS is that you get to the end of the hall and are faced with stairs or an escalator. Were there elevators hiding somewhere around there as well?
The elevator is on the far right, and it's a BIG one.

Normal
Small
Posted by gausse

Lucas Oil is just too far away from the rest of the convention! I have limited mobility and can't go that far. The events are far too spread out now. A lot of the events I used to go to are now moved out at Lucas Oil while others are at JW and other remote locations (and many have to location yet). GenCon is really becoming a trainwreck for me. With the event lotto and the far flung locations not sure its worthwhile now. Been going for over 15 years.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin selene314

selene314 wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi Dan,
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Marian,
Does this mean that events that do not yet have locations assigned are NOT likely to be in LOS?

Nope, I wouldn't say that either.  Some will and some won't.

Marian McBrine
Event Cordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord gausse

gausse wrote:
Lucas Oil is just too far away from the rest of the convention! I have limited mobility and can't go that far. The events are far too spread out now. A lot of the events I used to go to are now moved out at Lucas Oil while others are at JW and other remote locations (and many have to location yet). GenCon is really becoming a trainwreck for me. With the event lotto and the far flung locations not sure its worthwhile now. Been going for over 15 years.
 Lucas Oil isn't any farther from the "main" convention center than the Union Station, and events have been at Union Station for YEARS.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman gausse

gausse wrote:

Can you work your schedule so you have a Lucas Oil Day?  There's decent concessions there.  Find the day that has you favorites and then look around for other stuff happening in LOS. (Like Nascrag).

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 nascragman

nascragman wrote:
gausse wrote:

Can you work your schedule so you have a Lucas Oil Day?  There's decent concessions there.  Find the day that has you favorites and then look around for other stuff happening in LOS. (Like Nascrag).
That was my goal, but half the events don't have locations assigned.
So you either limit your events to the preferred groups that did get assignments, or wait for the assignments by which point many events will have sold out, or buy tickets now and return the ones that end up in a different building. 

Normal
Small
Posted by gerrygren

Hi there! 
 on the topic of locations, how long is it time wise to get from Lucas Oil to Marriott, just curious as i am looking at my event wish list

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop gerrygren

gerrygren wrote:
Hi there! 
 on the topic of locations, how long is it time wise to get from Lucas Oil to Marriott, just curious as i am looking at my event wish list

Depends on how fast you walk and time of day. at a easy-moderate pace about a 10-15 minute walk, all inside (and air conditioned).  Fast pace about 5-10min walk if no traffic.

I would give 15 minutes if you are looking at breaks between scheduled events.

Normal
Small
Posted by gausse bithlord

bithlord wrote:
gausse wrote:
 Lucas Oil isn't any farther from the "main" convention center than the Union Station, and events have been at Union Station for YEARS.
Yes but only a few, and I always avoided them for that reason. This is Different!

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord gausse

Space limitations are a thing.  It's either some groups get moved over to the big new area (it's huge, and it's GREAT for RPGs), or they just accept less events.

Normal
Small
Posted by lilyjade

People want more events.

More events mean more space is needed.

The Convention Center is only so large so those events need somewhere else to go.

It is a problem that would happen anywhere.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

Personally, I don't mind events moving to Lucas Oil. I spent a few hours over there last year and found it to be enjoyable. My minor annoyances at this point are: 1) the number of events that do not have locations listed yet (making planning for the half hour walk more difficult) and 2) those events that do have locations give the impression that like events are scattered about. Of the tiny percentage of GenCon goers that I know, most have their preferred choice of gaming, be it board games, rpgs, miniatures, larps, etc. Sure, a lot of us will go outside our preferred gaming corner to try a few new things, but by and large we tend to stick to what we know we enjoy. It was nice when the major categories were grouped in somewhat close proximity to each other. Perhaps it will still be that way and the early location assignment just make it look otherwise. Maybe that is impractical as gaming groups grow larger and offer a wider variety of games, meaning either keep the gaming group together or the event types together. Regardless, I am willing to see how the changes work at as GenCon learns how to use the new space before I rush to a judgment or panic that GenCon is "ruined" (for me).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.