Are you happy with the events you got?
Normal
Small
Posted by laufersweiler

I had the surreal experience of the wish list gods handing me three of Chaosium's Play-with-the-Author RuneQuest sessions back to back. I did have all three in my top five pics, but that was hoping for getting into one of them. It honestly never occurred to me that I might get them all.

While I did briefly entertain the idea of a 12-hour RQ binge, I instead decided to keep one and throw two back rather than horde them. That freed up space for Pelgrane's The Yellow King, which I also had on my short list. 

So yeah, good event draw.

Normal
Small
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

My schedule worked out OK, with some snags along the way.

Folks on my friends list had added event tickets for me to their wishlist, without telling me, or asking me, which then locked me out of some events I'd otherwise have got.

Still got a couple of gaps in the schedule to put other events into if I wish, or hit Games On Demand, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

I'm glad to say I am very happy! I got processed quite quickly and got all but one on my wish list. I was aiming at trying new games this year (new releases as well as new to me), and my wish has come true!

Normal
Small
Posted by vacaroja

Did not get what I really wanted.  Was able to get half the list.  But that half was the game choices, which is fine as I do those with the husband.  But he's more the gamer while I'm more the painter and I was only able to grab 1 of the 5 possible painting things I wanted.

Honestly, choices on those seemed slim this year compared to when we've gone in the past.  All the terrain/basing stuff is less interesting to me as seems to be the general consensus as that's all that's left.  And I now have big gaps in my schedule.  Hoping more gets added later.  Or I stalk with generics or just hang around for paint and take when I find nothing else to do.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

We got lucky and I was in fairly quickly. I still missed out on the Wednesday games we requested (they must have been insanely popular!) but we got almost everything else, including 2 popular limited capacity RPGs. We are very happy!

Still looking for the Wednesday games though, or hoping that the KFG replacement group (whomever they may be) will announce something...

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

For the first time in the last 5 years I got every event I wanted Yayy!

My wife and kids did well also.  I think my son only failed to get 1 event, and my daughter and wife got all theirs.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

I got one item I wanted (my top priority) and my husband and son got one item they wanted.  This happens every year it seems.  We still manage to have a great time... but I would feel happier right now if I got a few more of the games I really wanted.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

I eventually got everything on my wish list, but I had to go back and check for available tickets every few hours or so.

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane

I got lucky and landed all but one event. I even was "lucky" enough to almost triple my bill by landing tickets for multiple events for the other friends going this year. :P

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon lehane

lehane wrote:
I got lucky and landed all but one event. I even was "lucky" enough to almost triple my bill by landing tickets for multiple events for the other friends going this year. :P

Lol I hear ya. We are doing 2 true dungeon events with 4 people. A cool $650 just for those 2.

Normal
Small
Posted by sindee shaydeewil

shaydeewil wrote:
My friends and I all put our "must play" games on our Wish Lists with tickets for everyone, and one of us got lucky and processed her list in less than 10 minutes! It was crazy! So yeah, I got everything I wanted except for a couple of board games I was mildly interested in. Also going to try to "drop in" here and there with generics.
Love generics!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust sindee

sindee wrote:
shaydeewil wrote:
My friends and I all put our "must play" games on our Wish Lists with tickets for everyone, and one of us got lucky and processed her list in less than 10 minutes! It was crazy! So yeah, I got everything I wanted except for a couple of board games I was mildly interested in. Also going to try to "drop in" here and there with generics.
Love generics!!!

Only things I've used generics for in the past were the Battletech pods and gaming rooms. This year it looks like I'm actually going to need them to attempt to get into an event.

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

At 2774 in line we watched a couple events grey out and then come back. We got the big ones we wanted, had to throw in a couple more and reprocess to fill in the gaps. All in all, not a bad year.

Normal
Small
Posted by lilyjade

Got everything I wanted and was a bit surprised honestly. I do RPGs and pretty much focus on World of Darkness so you are talking about only having 6 tickets available for each game and with most of the games being 5 hours long, there are only so many that can be run. Yet I got into the 3 games I was dying to do. Including the Vampire 5th Edition event.

I also get to do 2 seminars with my favorite author and her book signing so I am a very happy girl.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

We didn't get a single event that we wanted.  We were able to get our TD events close to the original time, but the other 6 or so were already sold out by the time we got to the front of the queue.

I'm hoping the people involved add some more instances, but if not, more time wandering the floor.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice

Rough year for us.  Of the 17 or so things on the original Wish List, I think we got 3 events - only one of which was an RPG (despite, I think, 14 of the games on the list being RPGs).  Ah well.  We found other stuff to fill in the gaps - but it was more stressful than I had planned (also: had 2 individuals trying to coordinate with me online while another was trying to coordinate with me face-to-face - so juggling 3 different communication mediums while also trying to find events was less than fun).

Its simple supply and demand; for the kinds of games I most like (more narrativist-leaning, indie games; not Path/Starfinder or D&D) the supply is much more limited.

Overall, I'm okay with it.  Definitely not overbooked this year, left more time to explore, will be adding some Generics to the list later to use at Games On Demand and for possible drop-ins on other games.  The last 3 years have been chaotic for me because each time I've taken Con newbies with me and have been overbooked.  Actually looking forward to a bit more down-time, dealer-hall time and a chance to explore a bit.

Normal
Small
Posted by townsean

I forgot it was registration day by an hour and to my surprise I got all the events I wanted. Granted, most of my events had a large amount of slots or were events for kids. 

Normal
Small
Posted by parody

None of my really good choices.  Those require much more luck than I've had lately given the Gen Con ticket system.

Normal
Small
Posted by terrestrialboy

While I was unable to get into any of the three Feng Shui games, I was able to get into the one Mutant Chronicles game that's running. I've wanted to play that game for 20 years and I finally get the chance at GenCon.  The Feng Shui thing is a bummer, for sure, but it's not like there's not a ton of other things to do.

I'm hoping I can get a quick demo of the Big Trouble in Little China board game at the booth as those filled up quick.

So, I didn't get everything, but I did get some of the things I really wanted to play.

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

For the most part I am. I got into AEG Big Game Night again this year, didn't get it last year. all of my D&D AL events, and I'm a first time VIG so that will be exciting to experience. There are some events that I wish I would see more of, like Aces & Eights, Car Wars, Gamma World. Those games were always a good time. I always miss out on something, as most of us do, but with 64,000+ people, that will happen. Speed Paint was one of those events, so many more but they went quick. You really have to know how to manage your wishlist, you roll the dice if you really want different events but have to choose which will be number 1 and which you will have to hope for getting at say number 5 on your list. All hail the generic ticket. :)

Sign in to write a new post. New Post