Two Questions - AC Levels and Food Trucks
Normal
Small
Posted by ahsoka323

Figured I'd lump these together. Since this is my first year at GenCon, I'm here to ask the stupid questions, lol.

1. The bulk of my time is going to be at the JW Marriot for some RPGs. Is the AC up to that many gamers? Will I sweat through my jeans? Should I plan on just wearing light sundresses or will I need a sweater to bundle up in?

2. How long do the food trucks hang out? Are they only there for lunch times, or can they still be found at dinner time? I've budgeted by "big break" at around 4 PM, and was hoping I could get close food without going too far. 

Thanks in advance!

Normal
Small
Posted by loon

Food trucks stick around until 8 or 10, though they take a break around 3.

I can't help with the other question, though.

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

I still have last year's schedule - the food truck shifts were 11-4 and 5-11. So assuming it's the same this year - 4 would not be a good time at all, unfortunately.

Love your username! :)

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

They switch out the food trucks at 4, with one batch heading away, and another coming in and setting up. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla

In most cases the AC is cranked up because they expect a lot of people, so early and late it will be kind of cold but for the bulk of the day is should be comfortable maybe slightly warm. I don't think you would sweat though your jeans but, depending on your comfort zone temp wise, you might be a tad warm midday.

Normal
Small
Posted by buttcabbge

One thing to keep in mind is the food trucks are a bit of a hike from the JW. Nothing crazy, but definitely on the other side of the convention center (so, like three blocks or so). 

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice ahsoka323

ahsoka323 wrote:
1. The bulk of my time is going to be at the JW Marriot for some RPGs. Is the AC up to that many gamers? Will I sweat through my jeans? Should I plan on just wearing light sundresses or will I need a sweater to bundle up in?

I normally wear shorts and a gamer-themed t-shirt and I pack a lightweight hoodie in my backpack.  I'm always glad I do - I periodically pull it out throughout the weekend as needed.

Temps can vary.  I've never regretted having it with me.  :)

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

One note on the AC in the convention center: early on, it can vary. In previous years they didn't have it on for Wednesday setup, and by exhibit hall opening on Thursday it really wasn't "up to speed" yet. (Physics says it can take a long time to cool such a large space) By Friday though it will be easily able to handle the crowds.

As the JW is a hotel, they must keep their AC running constantly. I've never had issues there with the temperature.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
ahsoka323 wrote:

I normally wear shorts and a gamer-themed t-shirt and I pack a lightweight hoodie in my backpack.  I'm always glad I do - I periodically pull it out throughout the weekend as needed.Temps can vary.  I've never regretted having it with me.  :)
Good advice.  Also make sure you wear whatever footwear you will be comfortable in for a 5 mile walk.  You will be doing *a lot* of walking.  Also, a water bottle is recommendedc

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

The Convention Center will be as you might expect, and as others have noted above: cooler in morning and late at night, when the crowds have gone, warmer but never uncomfortable when it's crowded in big (high) spaces. Also, if you have an event in an enclosed, lower-traffic room (e.g. for some of the "Spouse Event"), it can run on the cooler side. The chilliest I experienced was last year for some of the films, so if you go to those, be prepared.

Also, although you are talking about indoor "weather", bear in mind that the Midwest can vary a great deal in the summer. It can and has been beautiful for Gen Con, with bright blue skies and sun, and (for summer) relatively low humidity. However, it can also be hot and steamy, or rainy, or...well basically anything but cold. So, you'll need to check the weather right before travelling to Indy to get a reliable sense of what it will be like outside.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

If you're looking for food at the JW, I highly recommend Osteria Pronto, which is the Italian restaurant inside the JW. I eat there for Trade Day every year. They have prompt service and the food is good.  

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

It's always pretty comfortable in the convention center, during Gencon and during empty times as well.  Indianapolis itself has been pretty temperate in the Summers in the 20 months I have lived here.  It's the bitter cold Winters and the resultant plague of potholes that really get to you.  But you guys are coming at pretty much the perfect time to avoid all that.

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas

August in Indiana is almost always hot and humid, especially when it is closer to July like Gen Con is this year. For going outside, sweating in something heavy like jeans is very likely. For inside, for the most part, it will be on the cooler side. Between these two 'extremes' would highly recommend light layers that will make it easier to adjust for cool, warm, and hot environments. So something like a sundress with a cardigan or light sweater would work well for being able to easily adapt. Or jeans you can make into capris with a couple turns of the hems would also work well.

Normal
Small
Posted by laufersweiler

I favor the oh-so-unfashionable cargo shorts, both because it's hot outside and because their spacious pockets let me quickly get to things like my dice, phone, writing utensils, granola bar, or wallet without stopping in a crowded walking area to fish around in my bag. Much more useful than the pockets in form-fitting jeans (though that might be be less of a consideration depending upon your purse situation).

If I were wearing something warmer, I think I'd favor the routes between buildings via breezeways & tunnels rather than hitting the streets, even though I like a bit of outside after sitting in a windowless con-room for several hours.

Normal
Small
Posted by grayfoxchild

As far as the AC, it kind of depends on whether you are a warm natured person or a cold natured person. Me, personally, I live in Missouri in a house with no AC for several years and growing up AC was not always a comfort so I'm accustomed to warmer temperatures. That being said I'm usually sporting the standard summer apparel and Chacos but I've usually got a long sleeved shirt or hoodie with me because I get cold easily. Though the general clause of the more warm bodies you pack into a space the warmer it's going to be even if the AC is set to Arctic Blast. It's just the nature of industrial AC units, they aren't meant to get it really cold.

For the food trucks, someone already mentioned that they have a lunch and a dinner rotation. They also change a line ups during the four days too. There have been years where I've seen particular trucks only show up on one day and others that alternate between lunch one day and dinner the next. The general rule is if you see something tasty you better get it that day because there is no guarantee it'll be back. The vast majority of the food trucks also park along and around George Street which is a fair trek from the JW Marriot if I recall correctly.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord roderick

roderick wrote:
They switch out the food trucks at 4, with one batch heading away, and another coming in and setting up. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 
Note that this switchover includes a period of time (I think it's an hourt may be 30 minutes) where there are no food trucks available.  Would be nice if they staggered the two streets switchover times, so there's always at least half the number of trucks available.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.