What has changed?
Normal
Small
Posted by terrestrialboy

I'm returning to Gen Con for the first time in about six years. I am super excited to be coming this year, and I'm wondering ... what has changed since 2012?

I'm giddy.

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

Well, for starters, there will be 20,000+ more people at Gen Con than were there in 2012, and the space has expanded to include Lucas Oil Field (above and beyond the ICC).

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

Bigger, everything is bigger.  I was surprised just a couple of years ago how much the dealer room has expanded.  Also, lots of walking.  

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

According to my analysis of events....

It has 60% of the current number of events of 2018
78% of the player hours of 2018 so far.

Note that 2018 doesn't have magic events yet, and there are a bunch more events expected.

So... yeah.  a bunch bigger. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by terrestrialboy

Awesome.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Yeah my 2010 to 2016 jump was eye opening.  

Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo

My jump was really severe. I had first gone to Gen Con the last year they were at the University of Parkside (Gen Con 17 or 18) made it to about a dozen or more before I last attended Gen Con in Milwaukee (about 1992?).  When I went two years ago in 2016...WOW!. Then last year dwarfed 2016. This year will be even better, having snagged a VIG badge...so I expect to be surprised once again...
pinheadjo

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

You'll notice a significantly larger dealer hall, as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

They've changed the dealer hall carpet from red to gray. Not a fan of it, myself - it makes the room seem darker somehow.

Normal
Small
Posted by terrestrialboy

I started going to Gen Con in 1996, and went for 13 years straight. Then I went again in, I want to say, 2011 and 2012.  I remember Milwaukee. I know I was at the Gen Con that was aw Mecca for the last time, then moved to the Midwest Express Convention Center.

I recall the assault on the TSR castle the first year I was there.

I also remember some people digging out the big "M" from the side of the building of Mecca and getting a lot of folks to sign it.

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

I started going in 1982 when I was a junior in high school at the University as well. Then Milwaukee started to host the con, which was great in the beginning, except for that year 1987, 100 degrees and extreme humidity all summer, it was miserable outside. I attended until the early 90s and then hadn't been back until I think 2003 or 2004 when it was at Indy and every year since. That was great too, being in Indy those early years, we thought that they would never worry about the space, but it has grown so much that Indy is bursting at the seems. I can also see a marked difference in how the city embraces the con now, at first I don't think they new what to think, but then they found out that Gencon brings a ton o' revenue and now we are embraced with open arms, which is so cool and everyone wants to be a part of the con now.

Normal
Small
Posted by terrestrialboy

Yeah, Milwaukee never really embraced GenCon, it seemed.

I do remember the first year it was in Indy - the local businesses didn't know what hit them. Steak-n-Shake ran out of french fries on Thursday, if I remember correctly. The following year all the businesses were stocked and ready for hungry gamers.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Wow, I had forgot that Steak N Shake ran out of fries.  That first year in Indy the local ATM machines also ran out of money.  Good times!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.