First year
Normal
Small
Posted by desiree.goyette

Noobie here and I am slowly feeling lost about what to plan. My husband and I are coming for our first time and we really want to try a lot of board games. There are a few games that end lets say at 3pm and another I want to try starts at 3pm but doesn't have openings another day or time. has others done this? or should I give my self an hour gap between games?

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

Well it really depends. Where are the locations on the games? If they are both in the same hall you should be ok, but if they are in other areas a 30 min window is really better. 

Basically the convention can span 3 blocks so looking at some maps to plan your routes is a good idea. 

Normal
Small

Thank you, I will look and see where they are located at

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Unfortunately a lot of events don’t yet have assigned locations, so planning for travel times is difficult.

Even if the events are close by, it’s good to have some time between them, if you can arrange it. It allows you to kibbitz with those you just played with (made some friends that way) and allows you to get to the next event a few mins early. 

For True Dungeon, you’ll want at least 45 mins before & after, especially if you’ve never done it.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 desiree.goyette

desiree.goyette wrote:
Noobie here and I am slowly feeling lost about what to plan. My husband and I are coming for our first time and we really want to try a lot of board games. There are a few games that end lets say at 3pm and another I want to try starts at 3pm but doesn't have openings another day or time. has others done this? or should I give my self an hour gap between games?

The end times, especially for board games, are already fuzzy, many run short some can run long.  The scheduled time is really the maximum it should take (another event may need the table).

Depending on locations it could be up to a 20 minute brisk walk from one game to another (for example, one game could be in Lucas Oil Stadium and another in the J.W. Marriott or something).  It could also be in the same room!

In general, I would feel OK booking one board game that ended at 3 and another that started at 3, however I would just accept that I might have to bail out of the first game at 2:45, or miss the second one. 

Realistically if a board game is not done at 2:45 it's probably not going to be done at 3 either.

Normal
Small
Posted by faxboy66

I'd recommend not over-booking yourself.  Back to back events almost never work out and you'll drop one or the other anyway.  If you have consecutive events, plan ahead and figure out how long it looks like it would take to get from one to the other, then double the time estimate; there are 60,000 other people all trying to get to their events too.  Give yourself some time to get distracted, wander the event halls and see what people are playing, I've found some great games purely by chance as I was being a busybody.

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant desiree.goyette

desiree.goyette wrote:
As others have stated give yourself time between events to get from one location to another if there's some walking involved plus bio breaks.  I noticed after I was done the BGG's have events running to do games, if you know a few games by the same company see if they're running a demo room/events so you can kinda freestyle what you want to play during the time.  Hope that helps.

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

I do back-to-back board games.

Most board game events need about 20 minutes of introduction and 1 hour of play time. If it's scheduled for a 1-hour block, expect it to go over, but if it's scheduled for a 2-hour block, you'll have time for a bathroom break before your next event.

However, events with a large number of players will take longer. And some games are designed to take longer; boardgamegeek can give you an estimated play time for unfamiliar games.

An hour-long break between 1-hour games feels like wasted time. The alternative is to schedule your events several hours apart, so that you have enough time to walk through the vendor hall or play something at the games library.

Normal
Small

Thank you all for your help.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.