Coupon Book
Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

First timer here and I keep seeing people mention a coupon book. How do I acquire said coupon book and what sorts of goodness does it contain?

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio

There will be piles of them at the con - its basically a promotional booklet from various companies that have booths at the show, to let you know where they are. Many of them will have little giveaways or discounts when you present their coupon to them.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

In the hallway where onsite event registration is located, down near the end, there will be a spot giving out the coupon books. You basically just walk up and get one.

They're quite nice if you remember to use them. I think every year I get home and find a crumpled up coupon in my stuff that I really meant to use...

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Many folks i see, just use it for the free dice coupon, then toss the rest of it in the trash..

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Many folks i see, just use it for the free dice coupon, then toss the rest of it in the trash..
I resemble that comment for some of the free dice. Most other items I have an interest in are long gone before I get to the dealers hall. With limited numbers around 100 you need to be part of the herd pushing through at the opening to have a chance after the VIG and companions have had a chance to pick.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

The stand is typically located at the East end of the Wabash East corridor. There'll be a continual stream of Con-goers filtering through a fairly quick line to the coupon book stand. They used to punch badges (when the badges were paper and there was a swag bag to go along with the coupon book) but they don't anymore so it's an honor policy that each attendee get one book.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I resemble that comment for some of the free dice. Most other items I have an interest in are long gone before I get to the dealers hall. With limited numbers around 100 you need to be part of the herd pushing through at the opening to have a chance after the VIG and companions have had a chance to pick.
In my experience it's pretty rare that something that's a truly limited run will actually be discounted in the coupon book. I've used coupons on Sunday with little issue. Maybe we just target different stuff. Companions don't get early access any more, neither do Trade Day, so at this point it might be VIGs only. (Not sure if Press still get early access, but they are not supposed to shop).

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg ryric

ryric wrote:
stahlnee wrote:
garhkal wrote:
In my experience it's pretty rare that something that's a truly limited run will actually be discounted in the coupon book. I've used coupons on Sunday with little issue. Maybe we just target different stuff. Companions don't get early access any more, neither do Trade Day, so at this point it might be VIGs only. (Not sure if Press still get early access, but they are not supposed to shop).
I've encountered a few things that are "Limited Supply" items in that book that are out by the time you get there. 

For the most part, the dice usually is the only thing in there of interest any more. Some booths do offer a decent discount with a coupon, but few rarely do use it.

Would be nice to see Gencon go back to the grab bags. Least those offered some nice stuff in them without the need for a fight to get to a booth to get it.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I don't think the swag bags are coming back. Neglecting flyers, your basic swag bag item is a die, a mini, or a booster pack of cards. Let's say each item costs the company providing it $1 to make and get to Gen Con. Then there is the fee Gen Con charges to stuff bags. An advertisement(because, functionally, that's what the swag bags are) that costs $20k+stuff fee for 20k bags is likely more "worth it" than $60k+3xstuff fee for 60k bags. But even the old cost might not be worth it for the companies involved. Look through swag bag contents from days of yore...how many of those companies are gone now? If they're not getting a ROI on the bags they're not worth bringing back.

Yeah we all like free stuff but I honestly didn't buy much because of product placement in the swag bags. The coupon book is probably more effective for the companies involved.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

About 12 years ago at Origins, the Legends of the Five Rings company (AEG, I think) put a miniature for their game into every bag. I knew scores of Magic the Gathering players who had no interest in the minis and I walked out of that con with a 40 pound bag of minis. It made for a nice army for Dungeons and Dragons but no one I knew ever bought anything because of the swag.

***OLD MAN VOICE*** "We'll never see the likes of those days again..."

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

Yeah, or the Axis & Allies boosters that you used to get every year. The swag bags were awesome back in the day. The problem when it was first happening was that people were hoarding multiple bags and other attendees lost out. We can't abuse these perks, then they get taken away for various reasons. What makes these things, like swag bags and dealer room giveaways so valuable in their limited supply. The same with comic books. I remember when Spiderman issue #252 came out, the introduction of his all black costume on the cover, after the Secret Wars mini series. They over produced this comic and, if produced in a more limited supply, would have increased the value on it dramatically. But, they didn't look at the rarity point of view and devalued it.
Gaming is a business, but it is also the greatest hobby, and a great way to create collections, so that can be conflicting.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord

Honestly, it wasn't the hoarding that killed hte bags -- that go sorted pretty quickly via badge marking.  It was the rapid growth of GenCon.  Stuffing 25K bags, with 5-6 items each is WAY cheaper than stuffing 60K bags with 5-6 items each.  And that isn't factoring in the cost of items trippling (because more are needed).  

It's jsut not worth it.  I do think some companies overcorrected with their promos wher eyou only get them if you are one of the first 50 people to their booth each day or some such nonsense.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Fundamentally, someone has to pay for the swag bags, whether it's the companies involved, Gen Con, or the attendees. About the only way I could really see them coming back is if Gen Con upped the badge prices by about $20-$25 and then used that money to purchase items for a swag bag. I get the feeling that wouldn't be so popular.

Actually, there already are the vendors that sell the mystery boxes/bags. That's effectively an "opt-in" swag bag. I wonder if someone could do well as a vendor selling unofficial "swag bags" of random items purchased from around the exhibit hall. You really want a bag full of random flyers, minis, boosters, and dice? $25, here you go. I'm...uncertain how well that would do.

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge bithlord

bithlord wrote:
Honestly, it wasn't the hoarding that killed hte bags -- that go sorted pretty quickly via badge marking.  It was the rapid growth of GenCon.  Stuffing 25K bags, with 5-6 items each is WAY cheaper than stuffing 60K bags with 5-6 items each.  And that isn't factoring in the cost of items trippling (because more are needed).  
It's jsut not worth it.  I do think some companies overcorrected with their promos wher eyou only get them if you are one of the first 50 people to their booth each day or some such nonsense.
True enough, I sometimes forget about the increase in attendance with some things, the bags being one of those things. I think, though, that only having the limited supply of giveaways daily from certain vendors is smart, from the standpoint of increased value of those items one is lucky enough to get. I mean, I have a ton of Bushi Road deck boxes that you put together yourself from promo packs, great for storing the random promo minis or cards that you pick up around the dealer room. That dealer room gets bigger every year, I print it off in 11x17 color and pre select the booths I want to make sure I hit early on in the con.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
About 12 years ago at Origins, the Legends of the Five Rings company (AEG, I think) put a miniature for their game into every bag. I knew scores of Magic the Gathering players who had no interest in the minis and I walked out of that con with a 40 pound bag of minis. It made for a nice army for Dungeons and Dragons but no one I knew ever bought anything because of the swag.
***OLD MAN VOICE*** "We'll never see the likes of those days again..."

I remember some of those figures.  AND doing some trading with other folk..

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice

This will be my 4th year back at Gen Con after a *very long* hiatus to raise kids and deal with some family illnesses and I can say, at least for me, the couponbook has been a huge disappointment.  I’ll still grab it each year to see who is offering deals - but, other than the Crystal Caste coupon for the Gen Con Dice, which seems to be a recurring coupon/advertisement each year, the rest is normally not of much interest to me.

I don’t chase “the hotness” each year (games are normally available on the retail market within a few months of Gen Con anyway) and I don’t collect stuff just to have it - so I’m probably not the target market for the coupon book or swag bag anyway.

For me, personally, I’m happy to see Swag Bags and Coupon Books go away - they usually aren’t economically feasible, I don’t want to pay anymore for a badge for a bunch of stuff I’m not interested in, would rather not stand in another line to get a book and the Coupon Books, honestly, should be replaced with electronic coupons soon - especially since Gen Con is starting to use Electronic Tickets (woo-hoo!).

Keep costs low, use fewer resources!

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

I recommend going through your coupon book on Wednesday night, and marking a list of the booth numbers to page numbers of items you want to check out.  It makes for a more effective shopping trip, especially if also doing the Cheese Weasel Quest.

Normal
Small
Posted by adcjones

Ya, the coupon books are garbage.

It's unfortunate.  Swag bags used to be decent.  Other cons, especially paizo con, have great swag bags.  I don't care to listen to those who says "it's expensive" or "difficult to organize."  Other cons do it well, bottom line.  Advertising dollars go a long way, hence the huge piles of money some companies are willing to pay.

It's a great way to introduce people to your product or would otherwise pass by completely on the dealer floor.

Normal
Small
Posted by fury283

I agree with adcjones - 
I've only missed one GenCon since coming to Indianapolis, and while the Swag Bags/Coupon books were AMAZING at the beginning.
They are... meh at best now.

Outside of the gencon dice that sell out every morning, the sales they give you in the book are not very good anymore.

Heck, they gave away a free video game one year.. nowadays the swag bags usually only consist of the sponsored lanyard for your badge, a badge holder, and a coupon book that consists mostly of, "10$ off a 100 dollar purchase!" coupons lol

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord

"Outside of the gencon dice that sell out every morning, the sales they give you in the book are not very good anymore."

If we're being honest with ourselves, outside of the first year....they never have been.  The first year there were some great deals on restaurants, etc. that had coupons in the book.  

Sign in to write a new post. New Post