5E D&D: Play with same dm/group all 4 days. Options?
Normal
Small
Posted by lead suit

A friend and I are looking to play with a solid dm and group for the entire con this year.  
We are hoping to play between 8-12 hours each day and go as far as we can during the con.  
I'm not sure what my options are at this point but I figured the forums would be my best  
chance at figuring something out. My friend and I are early thirties and have been playing  
over 15 years. Let me know where I should look to make this happen. Thanks in advance.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

Thats.... not really how Gen Con works.

Events are set up by GMs according to the GMs interests and schedule.  Not many GMs are going to set up 8-12 hours of GMing for the 4 days of the con period, let alone with the same group.

Your best bet are probably "The D&D eXPerience" presented by Baldman Games, which take you through 4, four hour adventures, with the same players and DM, although it appears to be sold out presently, slots may open as others drop things:

http://baldmangames.com/gen-con/

You should consult the Gen Con event catalog at:

https://www.gencon.com/event_finder

And find events you and your friends are interested in that are not yet sold out.

Con games are normally one shots for logistical reasons.  Perhaps you can find someone to GM for your group throughout the con for payment, but that's not going to be available in the event listing, and it will be hard to get space (unless you play in your hotel room).

Good luck!

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

There are a few multi-session campaigns. Their descriptions request that players sign up for all three days, but usually some new players will swap in and take over some of the characters. Very few people want to spend the entirety of Gen Con playing a single game.

I suggest searching the catalog for keywords like "part 2 of 3".
I'm not seeing much in 5E but here are two in other systems.

Or sign up to GM such a campaign yourself!

Normal
Small
Posted by dwintheiser

That's an interesting idea. Given that many classic D&D modules were written as 'tournament' modules to be run during conventions, I wonder how many 'classic' mods like Tomb of Horrors might be able to be completed during a single convention.

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge dwintheiser

dwintheiser wrote:
That's an interesting idea. Given that many classic D&D modules were written as 'tournament' modules to be run during conventions, I wonder how many 'classic' mods like Tomb of Horrors might be able to be completed during a single convention.
Probably a lot of those old tournament modules, if you kept it to the original tournament level play. If you read the history on Gencon, there is so many modules that I never knew were tourney modules until I read about them.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.