Growth in Women Game Masters
Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

Last year my team created the www.best50yearsingaming.com project to go along with the 50th anniversary of Gen Con.  We haven't been entirely stagnent since then, and recently I created a post of some analysis we did off of the data generated by the Gen Con programs analyzing the change in the number of women running events at Gen Con.  I hope you enjoy the brief article and that it generates some conversation.

best50yearsingaming.com/exhibits/show/runninggames/leadinggames

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

The link is bad, has an extra http in it...

Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

Should be fixed now, thanks for letting me know.

Normal
Small
Posted by dradama

Where did you get the statistics for the gender of the GM's? ---> Sorry I did the reading and figured this out. 
Seems like the way you came about the gender was a "best guess" way and one I'd agree with.  I'd be very interested in the gender data which I could not find on your site.  Is there a way to access the SPSS files or download them in a Excel file?

Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

Hi Dradama,

You can download the data in the below link, and the census data you can find on the census site if you want to recreate the gender data:

http://best50yearsingaming.com/items/show/207

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I wonder if your methodology accounts for non-Event Organizer Game Masters.  For example, Nascrag runs an RPG tournament with roughly 24 judges, and has done so for the last 39 years.  For 14 of those years, our Event Organizer was Carole Bland.  So in those years, Nascrag would have been accounted as woman-run.  But Nascrag has always had lots of female GMs.  I'd say 40% on average.

Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

Yeah, it wen't purely by what listed in the programs, so if Carole Bland was listed for all Nascrag events then all Nascrag events would be listed as run by a woman.

The data used for this isn't perfectly clean.  The Gen Con Programs are far from perfect and the census, as I note in the article, is problematic.  I won't be submitting anything based on this as an academic paper for these reasons but the data is good enough to show trends in how gender and game masters has been changing over time at Gen Con.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.